Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Is an MBA worth it?

13,459 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hangman
dlp3719
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You guys know the two years in b-school are a hell of a lot of fun right? From drinking to intellectual stimulation.

Also, it's hard to price the benefit that comes from the ability to switch industries and functions. For me, it makes life better. I get bored with something, people will take a chance on me in something new.
jrt336
Oh I totally agree. I'm in the same spot.
hangman
Hey guys. I am going for my MBA w/ a 3.0 Engineering GPA and 700 GMAT, 3 years experience but laid off in oilfield. I interviewed and was rejected by two schools in the 10-15 range in round 1. In Round 3 I'm targeting 25-50 US NEWS ranked Full time programs but I talked to Chicago Booth's Part Time program and they said I have a good shot of getting in. Their PT has a ~60% acceptance rate and 695 avg gmat. The 25-50 ranked Full Time schools I'm applying to have solid job placement and acceptance rates of 25-35 percent.

Booth PT will be a lot more expensive most likely but I'm curious if the long term brand value will be worth it. I will basically be doing their Part time program full time and I've read online for booth and Kellogg PT this is fairly common because it's like a backdoor to the prestige.

Unfortunately if I had a solid job I would retake gmat and try for a 10-15 full time again next year but I don't have that luxury because of my job situation. What would y'all do? I'm worried about long term upwards mobility if I don't get the "brand" but I couldn't find much information on long term value. Thanks for the help!
Duncan Idaho
Step 1: ask yourself "what to I want to accomplish with my MBA?"

Step 2: figure out the career path to get there and any companies that are required/make it likely you will be let in that path.

Step 3: get on linked in and see if people graduating from these schools have successfully landed jobs at that those companies in those roles.
HeightsAg
Long term brand shouldn't be a huge concern as the further removed you are from business school, the more emphasis people put on what you've done and what you know vs. prestige. However, the most important question for you is are you intending to switching out of oil and gas into a new industry? If so, you will face some headwinds from a recruiting perspective.

Most companies that target Booth will only come for full-time students and a few will cherry pick "diamonds in the rough" from the part time program. Thus, if you were looking to do oil and gas corporate finance, then you will probably be fine. But if you wanted to go into banking, consulting, management rotation programs, or etc - it becomes difficult as you will have to network like hell for recruiters to even give you the time of day.

And even if Booth allows you to attend some recruiting events with full-time students, you will essentially get ignored based on your part time name tag. Further, part time programs like to advertise that you get to tap into the alumni network but most full time students resent part timers (because quality can be uneven and they view part timers, regardless of program, as people who backdoored their way into Booth) so they will shun you.

Basically, if you are staying in oil and gas but just looking to upgrade your position or move from field to corporate, you should be fine. But if you want to change careers and need to leverage the brand/prestige of a full time program while attending a part time program, I would highly recommend that you temper your expectations. And this is true for most part-time programs, not just Booth.
HeightsAg
Old Buffalo said:

Right, but it seems like putting yourself under the gun of a 400k investment isn't the best option. Especially when you figure the PV of that decision discounting those future increases in salary.

There are non-monetary benefits, but I don't think the increase in quality of life comes with a high paying job to make financial sense.

This isn't an attack, just something I've struggled with when considering this route.
I don't think there's a clear cut answer. The question is how much are you willing to bet on yourself. For example, the majority of people who attend top 5-10 schools already make $100K or higher. For them, if the average salary at graduation is $140K, they are faced with a 10 year ROI which I agree is not insignificant.

However, the focus shouldn't be on how much do you make when you are in your late 20s but rather how much could you make when you are in your late 30s. In corporations, most high potentials are identified and cemented by the time they are in their mid 30s. Sticking with your $100K job may seem like a good decision but what if a Harvard MBA elevates you from the ordinary track (assume topping out at mid-manager with a salary of $150K) to the high potential track where you will have a fighting chance at c-level +1 or +2 or run a large BU?

Coveted jobs out of top business schools (i.e. consulting, banking, corp strategy, etc) do exactly that - it provides opportunities for high potential people to be identified and groomed for long-term success. Of course there is risk involved but what doesn't. Final point is that from experience, high paying job doesn't not equal quality of life. Rather, what I've seen is the more companies pay you, the more they expect out of you. After you've invested $400K, you will naturally be more inclined to work that extra hour - it is a slippery slope.
jaggiemaggie
AG
hangman: just wanted to get an update on your MBA plans?

hangman
Yes. I will be going to Vanderbilt Owen full time starting this year. It has access to any company/industry I might want to work for. Now I am debating which career route to take.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.