Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Talk to me about Umbrella Policies

5,288 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pepper Brooks
MemphisAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Clavell said:

As example, $1M quote for $175 and $3M quote for $400
Yes, or in my case $1MM for $410 or $3MM for $955.
JustPanda
AG
DrewAg27
Curious how he knows their liability limits? That is privaleged info that I would not expect to be handed over to an attorney that is sueing you....and the insurance company and their attorneys might have something to say about handing over the policy limits just because an ambulance chaser is sueing them. Insurance companies will not willingly pay policy limits just because they are sued. And I would wager their attorneys skill and experience level may exceed those of the plaintiffs attorney.
MAS444
AG
They are required to produce insurance policies in litigation. Very basic rule.
bjh19
AG
It's pretty simple concept and should be a easy answer on whether to obtain one. For the most part everyone hates paying for insurance until they need it. If you ever need this, you'll be really glad you had it. For a couple hundred dollars, you've protected yourself in case of a terrible accident or lawsuit in an auto crash, home accident, etc...

Best policy you can buy IMO. And if you don't have assets, keep in mind, judges can garnish wages until settlement reached.

Overall highly recommend it.
Clavell
AG
Nice article here. Didn't realize IRAs and 401K are somewhat protected.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/092215/how-protect-your-retirement-lawsuits.asp

Quote:

Retirement accounts are usually protected, despite some exceptions to the rule. The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) relates to federal protection of 401(k) and other employer-sponsored retirement accounts from creditors. The federal government ensures the safety of these accounts to protect retirement even in case of a lawsuit. Up to $1 million of a defendant's IRA will be protected under the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention Act of 2005. However, in June of 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that inherited IRAs will no longer be sheltered if the inheritor files for bankruptcy. This law does not apply if the inherited IRA comes from a spouse.
On the other hand, the best states for IRA protection in a lawsuit are Texas, Washington and Arizona. In Arizona, only IRA contributions made within 120 days of the lawsuit are exposed to risk by the claimant.
To those with assets tied to retirement plans and IRAs, acquiring an umbrella insurance policy may help shield against the possibility of a creditor dipping into retirement accounts. Personal umbrella insurance can be added on top of your pre-existing homeowners insurance and auto insurance and will cover the excess cost in case of a catastrophe.

An attractive feature of an umbrella insurance policy during a lawsuit is that the insurance is required to provide you legal defense on top of the coverage you already receive. It is important to note that umbrella policies do not cover business activities, intentional acts (such as sexual harassment) or punitive damages. In the case of a lawsuit, if you are required to pay out a claim, the umbrella insurance will come to play when your standard liability insurance has run out.

Umbrella insurance policies and professional malpractice insurance are two great ways to safeguard your IRAs. In this case, you can still receive the benefits of IRAs, which are more attractive due to the lower associated fees and investment flexibility in comparison to other employer sponsored plans and 401(k)s.

JustPanda
AG
Bird Poo
AG
So what should I look for when shopping around? Do these policies cover 100% of attorney's fees as well as any settlement against you?

I have a kid that's about to start driving next year.....
JustPanda
AG
MemphisAg1
AG
TexAgs knows things!

Because of this thread, I checked with my agent and they still had "youthful driver" designation on my policy because of three sons that were once teenagers but now mid 20's. He corrected it, and it cut my rate in half to be on par with other quotes in this thread.

Also doubled coverage to $2 million, but the second million doesn't cost as much as the first, so I end up with twice the coverage at less cost than where I was before.
The Wonderer
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

TexAgs knows things!

Because of this thread, I checked with my agent and they still had "youthful driver" designation on my policy because of three sons that were once teenagers but now mid 20's. He corrected it, and it cut my rate in half to be on par with other quotes in this thread.

Also doubled coverage to $2 million, but the second million doesn't cost as much as the first, so I end up with twice the coverage at less cost than where I was before.
Yeah, each additional million gets cheaper and cheaper.

Glad you got it figured out.
SACR
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

TexAgs knows things!

Did you ask how long you had been overpaying?
Pepper Brooks
AG
SACR said:

MemphisAg1 said:

TexAgs knows things!

Did you ask how long you had been overpaying?

This. I'd be raising all sorts of hell and insisting that my agent ether force the carrier to remove the debit retroactively and issue a refund or tell the agent you want his E&O policy info. I'd also be finding a new agent regardless.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.