Business & Investing
Sponsored by

I need free tax advice!

1,696 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by El Chupacabra
El Chupacabra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assume I made 1,000,000 last year (I know, lolpoor).

From January - April I made 600,000 in Missouri. From May - December I made 400,000 in Montana.

All income is W2 income.

Do I owe Montana state income taxes on that first 600k? Likewise, do I owe Missouri taxes on the other 400k?
combat wombat™
AG
El Chupacabra said:

Assume I made 1,000,000 last year (I know, lolpoor).

From January - April I made 600,000 in Missouri. From May - December I made 400,000 in Montana.

All income is W2 income.

Do I owe Montana state income taxes on that first 600k? Likewise, do I owe Missouri taxes on the other 400k?
Were you a resident of either state for any part of the year? (Did you maintain a permanent domicile there or were you simply stationed there temporarily?)

While I don't know the rules for these specific states and I am not your CPA, I don't believe that states generally tax non-residents on income earned elsewhere.

You are, obviously, going to need to file Montana and Missouri income tax returns.
El Chupacabra
Was a resident of MO through April and a resident of MT the balance of the year. My bonus is paid in February, thus the imbalance.
gigemhilo
AG
you would file partial year tax returns on both states. some states do the percentage of federal income thing, so watch out for that.

Good luck!
Ag13
AG
If you made anything close to that you might as well hire a CPA
gvine07
AG
When my wife was a consultant with a big firm she had to pay income taxes in the other states where she worked (we live in Texas). I don't know if that helps...
BigPuma
AG
Hell, she didn't even have to go to those states to pay tax in those. If she was a partner at a big firm (law, consulting, accounting, etc), you would have had to pay tax if the firm made money in those states. I got clients that never go to California for work but have to file a CA return every year.
combat wombat™
AG
Yeah, I have an attorney client that files returns in multiple states he never sets foot in because the firm either has offices in those stated or did work in those states.
94chem
File by April 15th
El Chupacabra
Ag13 said:

If you made anything close to that you might as well hire a CPA

Yeah...not even close.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.