Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Need help planning from all you polymaths

1,800 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by malenurse
Magnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So: I've just taken a new doctoring gig where I will be working week on/week off from now on. Making the same money as when I worked every day (and all night plenty of times-OBGYN). So I will have two weeks off each month now and can't sit at home all the time without getting bored.

I've got about 200 acres of farmland near Austin that I could put into use. CSA or something, animals? Something outside the box?
This is a really cool situation that you are in sir. I've given it some thought this morning, and I think that you have a most excellent opportunity. You can literally shape your life however you want. I would definitely do something that recharges your batteries--it has to be something you enjoy.

Some of my ideas for your weeks off:

1. Be a farmer/rancher if that's what you enjoy.

2. Start an offshore fishing or hunting guide business. Only take clients every other week. You could live the dream by hunting/fishing on other people's dime, and if you make a profit, great.

3. Travel. Depending on your ability to control expenses, by the time you are old, you could have pretty much seen and done everything. Alaska, Patagonia, Asia, Europe, whatever you want. I think this is a really cool idea, but might get lonely if you don't have someone to travel with.

4. Get really serious about a hobby. Woodworking, writing, brewing beer, music, flying, whatever. Do it a lot.

5. Volunteer / give back ? Help teach kids to read, be a handyman at a non-profit, work at an animal shelter, whatever. It would have to be something that you are passionate about.
coyote68
Farming and ranching??? Dig a hole in your back yard and burn a few thousand once a month. It will save you a lot of time.
Magnus
That's what my farmer/rancher dad said. Maybe a weed ranch or a running man hunt type operation....
Ragoo
AG
Play golf
John Maplethorpe
AG
Www.pronhub.com

But seriously we'll need to know more about your interests. Want to make money only with the extra time?

If it was me I'd work on my golf handicap. Buy a sailboat or a Cessna and take lessons.
BO297
I have been in a similar situation for a few years now. Are you married? Do you have a wife and kids?

If no, travel and do everything you have thought about wanting to do. I'm recently married and might soon have kids. I'm learning that I now do not have the free time I had even though my career still allows it.

If yes, and you enjoy the outdoors, I would attack that 200 acres. Not as a potential income, but for fun. Make it what you want it to be. Maybe start working on it as your retirement place.

If that is not your thing, get really good at whatever you are into.

There can be downsides if you let them creep in. Drinking too much, infidelity, etc. not saying that will happen, but I have seen people struggle with that much free time.

Either way, congratulations. That is a great way to live.
94chem
What kind of a person do you want to be 10 years from now?
Vernada
AG
Quote:

There can be downsides if you let them creep in. Drinking too much, infidelity, etc. not saying that will happen, but I have seen people struggle with that much free time.
I've had a schedule that had regular extended periods of downtime. And there can certainly be downsides. One of my biggest problems was spending too much $$$. I'd spend time during my "on shift" thinking about things I needed or couldn't live without and thinking I 'deserved' a reward for how hard I was working.
Dr T and the Women
AG
week on/week off as an ob/gyn? I had not seen that for a laborist model. where are you?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
pfo
AG
Build a large pond if possible and construct it for brim, bass and crappie fishing. The Aggies have a pond management firm based out of College Station that know what they are doing. Plant trees like black walnut, pecan etc. These things add value to your property and fun and tranquility to your life.

I wouldn't even think of farming but if you insist, buy a few cheap beef cattle. When you figure out farming is a tough way to make money and more work than you thought you can just shoot your cows and not be out too much.
malenurse
AG
If you were married to my wife, she would have the perfect solution.

Get another job to work at during your off weeks.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.