Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anyone with product certification experience?

965 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Todd05
moses1084ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm working for a start-up and I'm the lucky guy responsible for trying to get our product certified.

Any tips on what the process is like, costs, timelines, things to look out for, etc. would be appreciated.
John Maplethorpe
AG
Certified by what agency?

Texags late night crew product certification administration: Approved.

Send me a PM for the address to mail all payments for the 2% gross revenue administrative quality control fee.
Dr. Doctor
AG
What kind of product?

What kind of certification?

I worked with an oil tool company to run tests for them for hazardous classifications. The onus is on the manufacturer; if things come out later and they (the feds) find you did it wrong, you don't want to be in that position.

Some things are independently verified by the creators. Some can go to others for testing, as they are experienced, and you can claim that certification (i.e., good for 400F, radio safe, drop tested, etc.)

Need a bit more info to point in the right direction.

~egon
moses1084ever
AG
Robotics product that is going to be sold into Japan. I've been speaking a lot with UL Japan, but I'm still in the dark regarding the overall process and estimated costs.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Going into Japan you'll need an ISO 9001 for your company most likely.
John Maplethorpe
AG
This is pretty esoteric even for Texaggers who "know stuff". Do you have links or specifics to the actual certifications required?
moses1084ever
AG
Our contract manufacturer is ISO9001.

Here's a link partially describing the certification marks themselves: http://m.tuv.com/en_1/japan/services_jp/product_testing_jp/our_services_jp/pse_denan_smark_certification_japan/pse_denan_smark_certification_japan.html#bmb=1

Basically if you plug in anything into the grid in Japan, it needs a special cert. There's also special certs for batteries depending on the energy/volume. In addition to the PSE, there is TELEC which is the Japanese equivalent of FCC.

Todd05
AG
I have done a couple of electrical products through various certs. The product type will determine what certs it needs and how difficult the testing is. Without saying what the product does noone can give you a good answer.

The documentation is very boring to read and isn't always clear. That part isnt fun

The quality of your product will also determine the cost and timeline. Good designs will run into less fixes, changes, and redesigning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.