Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Profit taking time?

1,022 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RogerEnright
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My investing style with retirement funds is buy quality stocks and funds and let them sit - for years if it seems to make sense.

I respread funds - usually once a year - but am considering hedging a little harder towards bonds right now since market is at historic highs and I can see Trump doing something stupid that would cause a big slip. I am 54 years old and don't plan on retiring for over a decade (my wife is young - yeah for me).

Thoughts from you guys? Anyone else thinking it might be good to get that respread in before Friday?
DRE06
AG
If you buy bonds right now and the fed raises rates 3-4 times like they said they plan to, don't you get crushed?
Harkrider 93
AG
DRE06 said:

If you buy bonds right now and the fed raises rates 3-4 times like they said they plan to, don't you get crushed?
Or raise it faster because their stated fears come to fruition. Couple that with folks that will panic sell from bonds when they see negative returns and it could get nasty.

Not nasty compared to stocks, but for bonds, a 5% drop in a couple of months is huge.
Harkrider 93
AG
I have always thought it would be best for people to stick to a plan that allows you to hit your goals vs try to time outguess the market.

Asking TexAgs isn't the worst thing you can do, but I would argue that zero people expected the market to go up if Trump got elected. Because nobody saw that coming, why would you think anyone knows what to do now?
RogerEnright
I agree with Harkrider.

Having said that, taking some money off the table is similar to this post:
CAPE & EQUITY / Bond mix
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.