Business & Investing
Sponsored by

How do I raise capital

5,126 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by maroon15
AustinAggie87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

Long time lurker, first time poster......at least on the B & I forum.

My name is Chad Lee. PETE Class of '87. I am a founder of a firearm accessory manufacturer called FXD. I have run my own law practice for many (too many) years now, but never had the occasion to raise capital for a new venture.

How do I find early-stage investors?

My business partner has designed/developed a revolutionary fore grip for an assault rifle. Pictures/video of the fore grip can be seen at our website: www.forceXdesign.com

The patent-pending design allows for a unique thumb integration, which causes the user to actively incorporate the strongest appendage on the hand.....thus providing extraordinary control of the front end of the rifle by applying pressure along each of the x, y, and z axis.

The FXD fore grip has obvious law enforcement and military applications and is currently being tested by police forces in Texas and Oklahoma.

Here in Austin, angel investors throw $$$ at tech start-ups all the time. Having a tougher time trying to source funding for our "tangible" product.

Feel free to contact me at Chad@forceXdesign.com

Thanks......and Gig 'em
Aggiehunter34
S
Looks like an excellent product. I would love to purchase one of these to try out when they go on sale. Best of luck with this product. As a 22 year veteran, I can say that this could be a hit. I love the unique design and it looks like it would really be comfortable.
AustinAggie87
AG

Aggiehunter34, thanks for the kind words.

Very comfortable, ergonomically superior to anything on the market.

Tell your buddies.
Ragoo
AG
looks neat. your strongest fingers for grip are actually the pinky and ring finger.
Aggiehunter34
S
Will do!
ATXAdvisor
AG
AustinAggie87 said:

How do I find early-stage investors?......
.....Here in Austin, angel investors throw $$$ at tech start-ups all the time. Having a tougher time trying to source funding for our "tangible" product.

Thanks......and Gig 'em

Just curious if you have spoken to some investors (or groups like Central Texas Angel Network) and been given the cold shoulder or are you looking for some intros to some? I could help you out in that regard. Send me a PM.
chris1515
AG
This looks like a great product and would be a relatively easy sell.

How much are you looking to raise and what are you going to spend the money on? With a good business plan, I'd be interested to see how much you could raise just through Texags...

Contact the Center for New Ventures and Entrepreneurship (CNVE) at TAMU, they should be able to provide some contacts.

nactownag
AG
Is this going to be open to us regular folks for potential investment?
RGRAg1/75
AG
AustinAggie87 said:

Howdy Ags,

Long time lurker, first time poster......at least on the B & I forum.

My name is Chad Lee. PETE Class of '87. I am a founder of a firearm accessory manufacturer called FXD. I have run my own law practice for many (too many) years now, but never had the occasion to raise capital for a new venture.

How do I find early-stage investors?

My business partner has designed/developed a revolutionary fore grip for an assault rifle. Pictures/video of the fore grip can be seen at our website: www.forceXdesign.com

The patent-pending design allows for a unique thumb integration, which causes the user to actively incorporate the strongest appendage on the hand.....thus providing extraordinary control of the front end of the rifle by applying pressure along each of the x, y, and z axis.

The FXD fore grip has obvious law enforcement and military applications and is currently being tested by police forces in Texas and Oklahoma.

Here in Austin, angel investors throw $$$ at tech start-ups all the time. Having a tougher time trying to source funding for our "tangible" product.

Thanks......and Gig 'em

Serious question - what's your competitive advantage? More candidly, what makes you better than a magpul, Troy, or any of the other thousands of gun accessory companies out there?

I think you might struggle with any kind of raise without showing LOIs or a specific strategy to capture market share from an industry whale like magpul. How long until they demo their latest version of the AFG2 that does a better job of incorporating the thumb to their govt customer?

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but the weapon accessories market is inundated. Your website shows two products. Do you have other patents (pending or otherwise) for other products? If not, you may want to consider friends and family, or something like a kickstarter campaign. Like you said, Austin likes software/tech, so you probably won't get much play there.

Have you done any financial projections? How do those look? Written an executive summary? Also, have y'all considered licensing your design?
aglaw01
AG
There's the marketing side of raising capital, a lot of which was discussed in this thread - business plans, projections, benefits of product, the ability to sell the product, desired market, etc.

Then there's the legal side of raising capital - structure, securities laws, proper disclosure, etc. I work in this space as an attorney. Feel free to PM me as well.

As many have noted, you can't get to the second point above without the first. Got have a story to tell in order to raise the capital.
texrover91
AG

post fail -
Rebar
AG
Really cool product! Our company is in this world (but on the optics side) and I have had to raise capital on multiple rounds over the last several years. So will try to give you the straight scoop.

1. Having a cool product (which you do!) is a great start, lots of folks don't get this far.
2. To raise capital, you will need to know the following cold:
a. What is your actual market look like? How many of these realistically could you sell?
b. What are your costs? Wholesale price? Path to market?
c. Do you have orders now? Gun shops willing to stock / sell? If not, why not?
d. How will these be manufactured? What costs needed for manufacturing?
e. Are these patented? If not, have you sold 1? (That will affect your ability to patent)
f. You are entering a VERY crowded field, what makes you stand out? Why not just go license to MP or any of the other furniture makers then go make the next great product?
g. How much do you have in it now? Hard dollars not soft dollars
h. Is there anyone on your management team with experience (successful) with this kind of product launch?
3. Are you going to SHOT Show next week? If not, why not since it is the biggest trade show in this industry by far?

Cold truths:

1. Investors in Austin (and a lot of early stage investors wherever they are) look for scalability. You are targeting a niche product (it isn't necessary for the operation of the weapon) in a crowded space. That is tough sledding
2. You absolutely need to have multiple letters from law enforcement agencies, DoD program managers, gun store owners, etc that say they want to buy your product. Doesn't cost much if anything to visit with a ton of them. If they don't bite, you have bigger issues.
3. Angel groups may be an option if you can show sufficient market size and have the letters from potential buyers. Without it you need friends and family until you can get those orders or letters
4. Visit with aglaw or someone similar. If you plan on raising money beyond friends and family, you need to form in Delaware and have a good startup lawyer. Lots of opinions on this I am sure but having raised 8 rounds over last few years, doing this upfront saves time and money later as professional investors outside of Texas will ask for it.
5. Go get some sales or letters from at least 5 buyers
6. See #5
7. See #5
8. See #5
9. See #5
10. See #5

CTAN has regular meetings that you can attend and watch the interaction with other companies and investors. They are a wonderful resource for early stage companies.

Good luck. Few things harder in the business world than what you are doing but very few more rewarding when you get it to work.

Gig em
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Um, Hi.

email me:

owner@texianfirearms.com
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Oh, and btw, I know rebar personally. Knows his stuff on this.
A.G.S.
AG
Definitely pay attention to what Rebar says. I don't know him, but he is spot on.

I self-financed mine, and it is a very tough market. Licensing to a bigger company would probably be your best bet.

Good luck with Magpul though, every time I've talked to em they are very hesitant toward designs they don't come up with.
br2002dc
Howdy !!

If you are still looking for start-up investment - I recommend these guys as a one stop shop

Website: https://beta.mainstreetexchange.com/ - All users of the platform are ALL certified investors.

I know some the co-founders of the company personally since I used to work with them before.

The company already has a variety of agreements with a some of the top rated start-up accelerator programs to help folks raise investment funds DIRECTLY through our technology platform.

PM if you care to speak off line or I can put into contact with them.
an antelope ate it
http://aggieangelnetwork.com/about/
Comeby!
AG
Fantastic thread. Rebar's (we've met) and RGRAg's answers are spot on. Eyeguy is important for obvious reasons.

I don't work in this space but have recently raised $50MM+ for my startup company. I had to sell my abilities and not a product so it's a bit different but a track record (or sales, in your case) and scalability is important.
cheeky
AG
Comeby! said:

Fantastic thread. Rebar's (we've met) and RGRAg's answers are spot on. Eyeguy is important for obvious reasons.

I don't work in this space but have recently raised $50MM+ for my startup company. I had to sell my abilities and not a product so it's a bit different but a track record (or sales, in your case) and scalability is important.

I read that as fifty million?
jswags
AG
That's $50 million, right? Are you Brock Osweiler?
Comeby!
AG
Correct, but hoping not to have the same luck as him.
AustinAggie87
AG
Ags,

Thanks for all your comments and recommendations.

Wanted to give a heads up that we've been selected by the Aggie Angel Network to give a presentation at their May 5 pitch meeting.

I assume several of the B & I posters are members of AAN. Some may even be at the meeting this Friday. Look forward to getting a chance to meet those in attendance.

Thanks,

Chad Lee '87
VegasAg98
AG
I'm a corporate attorney in Houston and I represent many startups raising capital all around the state. Let me know if you want to chat.

miknava at gee mail

maroon15
AG
I would suggest to take as little money as possible and self-fund it with your work & advertising efforts for the first launch with a pre-order or crowd funded angle. Although the big social networks get picky about gun related things being advertised.

Facebook Ads could do wonders for you with a good video directly marketing the product since it's not the gun or ammunition (they don't allow that). It's a fine line since it's best pictured on a gun and they could ban the ad account. Unless you're a huge brand they are picky about what you can and can't do.

At the very least, you can still do lead generation on Facebook by providing value, build an email list, and market your product down the line after you've built the customer list. Or even make a group of gun enthusiasts. Lots of ideas...

Partner with every gun-related influencer on Instagram and pay them and/or give them product to show case on their profile. Instagram influencers are providing huge ROI right now.

Connect with gun-related YouTube channels and offer pay and/or product to be featured in videos. This could be especially attractive since YouTube pulled gun channels' monetization from ads.

Contact gun-related blogs and offer to write a guest post about something related to the space your product is in and build exposure.

Pay to market to already established email lists in your industry.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.