Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Manager Training?

1,770 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone ever taken a management training course that they would recommend? I've been in a manager role for the past couple years and I've struggled in certain areas.

When I've looked online myself I can't seem to find anything that stands out. I'm looking for something that is a one-day or two-day training. It can't be too long because I don't think my company will pay for much more. (If they agree to pay at all)

NCNJ1217
AG
Can't really comment on any training course, but here are a couple resources that may help.

The first:

The One Minute Manager

A short book that should be required reading, and a good starting place, for any manager.

Second:

A great video about leadership.

lotsofhp
AG
Frok said:

Has anyone ever taken a management training course that they would recommend? I've been in a manager role for the past couple years and I've struggled in certain areas.

When I've looked online myself I can't seem to find anything that stands out. I'm looking for something that is a one-day or two-day training. It can't be too long because I don't think my company will pay for much more. (If they agree to pay at all)

Thank you for posting this. I'd love to hear everyone's input on this as well.

Thanks for the above post. I will check those resources out.
diehard03
Quote:

Honestly, I've found that management is one of things where all the concepts are relatively simple and you probably know them already. It's more of a matter being able to use them under stress, or finding that right voice where you hear something and it clicks.

I think you are going to need to specify what it is you are trying to get better at. Being better at "management" will get you a bunch of different directions.
Rebar
AG
Frok,

Where are you located? Finding a local mentor that you can have lunch with once a month is cheaper and far more valuable than a seminar.

What kind of environment do you work in? Managing a remote sales team vs an inhouse group of engineers is a massively different skill set.

Couple of basics:

1. Set clear goals / expectations then stay accountable to them (applies to both you and those you manage).

2. Take big picture objectives (grow the business!) and break into a series of steps. For example, if you are leading sales people who want to make $100,000 a year, you can break that down into how many calls or meetings they need to have per day (even per hour) based on closing rates to achieve.

3. Realize that most everyone has same basic needs. Security, respect, purpose. Create an environment where these are abundant.

4. While needs are the same generally, people are not. Learn the order of importance those needs are for your team. Sales people are risk takers and can thrive in that environment. They can be rewarded with commissions and bonuses and it drives them.

Engineers, scientists, and accountants are generally risk averse and prefer stability over "the promise of tomorrow". Know your people and adapt the environment and management style to them.

5. Don't try to be perfect. You aren't no matter how many courses you take or books you read. People will value honesty and trust infinitely more than technique or tricks learned from a book.

Basic building blocks for sure but kudos to you for wanting to better your abilities. Good luck on your journey!
SUorangeMAN
You might want to check out the book Crucial Conversations. It's not specific to leadership but is more about communicating effectively, which goes a long way in managing others. I participated in a training workshop about the concepts in that book at my former employer.

I'm a relatively new manager myself and would love to see what others have to offer.. I looked into an MBA but it just seems too general for my training needs (plus $$$$). U of H and others offer 2-3 day leadership workshops but I haven't tried one yet.

I currently have a mentor who has really helped me and would recommend you seek out a mentor as well.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I do management/leadership training and coaching. Email me and I'll be happy to answer some questions. If you want to take it farther, fine but if not, that's OK too.

skh _ 91 (close spaces) at hotmail.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.