Business & Investing
Sponsored by

How to decide on the percentage of cash to have in an Investment portfolio

1,165 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Thermalaggie
Thermalaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I usually have about 5% in cash but, with all the uncertainty in the political arena, O&G sector etc I jacked it up to around 10% arbitrarily of course. Any thoughts on whether 10% is reasonable or am I wasting it away by not investing? Typically how much do y'all keep in cash outside of your emergency funds and do you have any thumb rules that you follow?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Generally about six months of my fixed expenses. Not necessarily a %.

Meaning mortgage, vehicle note, groceries, est. utilities, taxes, gas, etc..

Not an exact number, but just what I think I need to survive six months without making drastic changes to my lifestyle.
Thermalaggie
Thanks Colin. I do have a separate emergency fund but, was wondering more about the portion of investment funds that you keep in cash..for may be buying when there is an opportunity?
cheeky
AG
Outside of reserve funds cash is tactical. There is no static allocation due to inflation
Zemira
AG
Over all my funds/investments I keep 6 months expenses in cash.

Usually I have about 4 months expenses in a savings account (I know it's not earning anything but it's there if I need it). Then I keep 2 months expenses in cash in an investment account if I want to buy an investment.

I had to utilize my savings last year and it was easy to just transfer accounts and not have to sell some stuff and wait a day or two like I had done in the past.
Thermalaggie
I know it is all what you feel comfortable with but, is it safe to say at 10% cash I am a little too cash heavy and am missing out on keeping it invested?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.