Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Saving for nephew's college questions

2,296 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Matsui
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I don't have any kids and unless I adopt one soon it isn't in the cards for me.

I just found out my sister and brother in law haven't saved anything for my 9 year old nephew's college. Now my grandmother has a 529 in his name but I don't think there is much in the account, going to talk to her about it in the next few weeks.

I would like to save and contribute to his college. Is the best way a 529 or another type of account? My only fear is I don't have any other kids to transfer the 529 to if he doesn't use it for some reason.

Oh wise B&I board please help.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Bump - also looking for similar advice.

My brother just had a kid and for Christmas I want to set up a college savings fund (happy first Christmas present!)

Is the best route a 529 or should I just set up an vanguard account and buy mutual funds?
Dr. Horrible
We have a 529 set up for both my niece and nephew. Just have to have the understanding that if it's not used, it will be subject to the taxes and penalties. In our case, we just know that is the situation and have accepted it.
Zemira
AG
Thanks now I just need to drag up the which state has the best 529 threads.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Seems I've read Utah and NY are the best.
double b
AG
This is the best website for comparing 529 plans.

Saving For College -- 5-Cap Ratings
Matsui
AG
For an unused 529 that is cashed out, you are subject to 10% penalties and taxes on the growth (not principle) is that correct?
Dynamite08
AG
Correct.
topher06
Does the kid have to exist or can it be set up in speculation and transferred to a niece/nephew if you can't have a kid for some reason?
LeFraud
topher06 said:

Does the kid have to exist or can it be set up in speculation and transferred to a niece/nephew if you can't have a kid for some reason?

SS# is needed
aggie028
I think you can set it up for yourself and then use it on your kid. Not sure how it works transferring to someone else's kid though. Don't think that is possible.
Matsui
AG
You can transfer a 529 to another person if the initial person didn't use it.
ChoppinDs40
AG
so if I set one up and contribute for the next 18 years, i can simply transfer it to my Brother and use it for his kid?
Matsui
AG
Yes. You transfer is to your Brother's kid. Not your brother.
Matsui
AG
http://www.savingforcollege.com/articles/ask-an-expert-how-can-i-move-my-funds-from-one-529-plan-to-another-without-incurring-taxes-756
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.