Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Postponed selling until 2017-and lower cap gains tax?

1,064 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ATXAdvisor
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else think the market has a nice bit of support due to people not wanting to cash out gains until after the first of the year in hopes of getting lower capital gains rates next year?
Harkrider 93
AG
no - I guess some could, but most people who try to time things look at other factors to pull the trigger - it doesn't mean that some won't, but most people don't do it based on something that may happen
TxAg20
AG
I looked at selling something this year to avoid higher cap gains if Hillary was elected. After the election, I've decided to hold. I doubt cap gains go down in Trump's 1st year, just as I don't think they went up in Obama's 1st year, but I think there's a good chance they get reduced in Trump's 2nd or 3rd year.
BigPuma
AG
I've had to tell several of my clients to slow their roll in regards to Trump and Ryan tax plans. I told them they also have to factor in the senate and that i don't think it happens in year 1.
Dan Scott
AG
Nothing happens in the first 100 days like these scumbags always promise. It'll take time
ATXAdvisor
AG
Trump is proposing that the current capital gains tax structure continue, with 0%, 15%, and 20% rates corresponding to 3 individual income tax brackets (12%, 25%, and 33% respectively). In addition, the 3.8% Medicare surtax on net investment income would be repealed, so you would only probably benefit from waiting by that amount if that tax applies to you currently.

As is normally my advice to clients, don't let the tax tail wag the dog.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.