Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Digit

1,582 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone used this? Did it work for you?

We are horrible about actually saving money. It seems like everytime we try, something comes up and stuff gets used. Just wondering if this actually works well. It would be nice to be able to set aside some money.
Pahdz
bump, i just read about this in a magazine and looked it up because I had no clue about it. Anyone use it?

https://digit.co/
AggieOE12
AG
I actually used it (and Acorns) for a while!
It was great for me because of the same situation.

It would go up a few hundred dollars (set on aggressive) and usually I would pull it out then and push it into savings. Acorns wasn't growing though. It went up a few hundred but kept losing money (~$5/mo) since it poorly invested. Nothing crazy but negative none-the-less.

So after many months, I took out all I had in both of those (Digit & Acorns), closed both accounts, and put it all into stocks (I use TD Ameritrade) figuring I could at least make it stay even or grow a little. I called it play money at first as I wouldn't have set it aside on my own so theoretically, It would have already been lost money.

Overall, It was a great way to start putting aside even more money than what I already put into savings, 401k, and IRA. Now that I've gotten used to saving more aggressively, taking money out of my account so I can't use it, I've been able to grow an additional savings account (through Barclays) AND continue stocks which have grown substantially thanks to Apple and NVIDIA primarily. Saving has kinda become addicting. Every $5 counts.

So all-in-all, it was a great gateway to saving more aggressively.

I think it's about to start charging though... so keep that in mind.
Pman17
AG
I used Digit before they started charging per month. It's alright. They take out big random chunks of money like $7 here $35 there, sometimes $80. I didn't get how the algorithm worked, but I never went under on my bank account. I usually keep $1000 min in checking. I saved about $200-$300 a month. Helps keep you from buying little things. It's great if you wanna save up for a TV or a trip. I switched to Acorns because the monthly charge is less and the gains would be better than a few cents interest. Since April, my account is $637.70, it auto invested $607.53, dividends $2.63, gain $20.17, and referrals $10. It's not much but it helps. Acorns takes out less than Digit if you're not aggressive in throwing money in and depends on how much you spend as it rounds up those purchases. The pennies are added up in a small time frame and then that chunk of change is taken out of your bank account. So investments to Acorns appear as dollars rather than cents, like $3, $7, $5, $13, etc. I consider using this stuff short term. Long term you could look into stocks like Robin hood, if you don't want to deal with Taxes then, Digit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.