Business & Investing
Sponsored by

PSA: PPO Health Plan Options in TX

2,156 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
AgAttack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because I know a lot of people on the individual market are looking. Here are your best options: http://blog.takecommandhealth.com/ppo-health-plans-in-texas/
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Hi AgAttack-

Question for you. I constantly see plans from US Health Group/Advisers on social media and elsewhere. I have some reservations about the product and the way they are sold - I'm wondering if you have any thoughts?
The D
AG
Ive been on a PPO plan with Humana for 10 years and haven't gotten kicked off yet. Mine actually just renewed
AgAttack
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

Hi AgAttack-

Question for you. I constantly see plans from US Health Group/Advisers on social media and elsewhere. I have some reservations about the product and the way they are sold - I'm wondering if you have any thoughts?

Hi Husky Boy,

I don't have an official relationship with US Health Advisers keep up with them a good bit. They require all of their agents to be "captive", meaning they can't help you compare or shop other programs. We tried to get them to allow us an exemption this year so we could feature their ACA plans on our website, but it was a no-go.

They made a ton of money a few years ago selling "indemnity plans" (aka snake-oil). They will still try to push these on people and they look really good--PPO networks, low premiums, etc. The problem is they are not ACA-compliant, so you'll get hit with a tax penalty at the end of the year as if you had never been insured.

They did roll out an ACA-compliant plan late last year. I haven't seen if they are continuing it next year. If you do want to look into them more, I would make sure you're looking at their ACA compliant plan and not the indemnity version. I can help you look at the plan docs if you're interested.

Thanks!
AgAttack
AG
The D said:

Ive been on a PPO plan with Humana for 10 years and haven't gotten kicked off yet. Mine actually just renewed

Are you on a group plan (through work) or an individual plan? If individual, you must be grand-fathered in--never miss a premium payment and never change if you can help it! (assuming you're not getting hit with tax penalties)
Zemira
AG
Random question. I was complaining to a friend that I cannot buy an individual PPO policy that would cover me in Houston (I don't want to do the Media Share).

He piped up you could buy a PPO in Washington State where he lives. Is this true or does he not have a clue?
The Wonderer
AG
Zemira said:

Random question. I was complaining to a friend that I cannot buy an individual PPO policy that would cover me in Houston (I don't want to do the Media Share).

He piped up you could buy a PPO in Washington State where he lives. Is this true or does he not have a clue?
Coverages are based regionally. Insurance companies determine where and how they offer policies. You cannot (currently) purchase insurance policies across state lines.
Zemira
AG
Yes I realize that. He's been trying to convince me to move to WA for six months now lol.

He doesn't understand I won't leave Texas unless there is an awesome opportunity waiting for me.
The D
AG
Im self employed and got an individual plan through them in 2005 when I started working. Still doing the same thing, it has gone up. I believe its about $420/month now and was around $250 3 years ago. After seeing the horror stories on here I can't complain much.
AgAttack
AG
Wonderer is right. You can only buy plans that are offered where you live. However, many national PPO networks will cover you wherever you are once you have one.
Zemira
AG
In the scenario the PPO purchaser would live in WA. Do they offer individual PPO plans?
Tabasco
AG
Our family of four are grandfathered in on a BCBS individual PPO in Houston. Just went up 18% to 1350/mo. Basically goes up 10-20% a year
AgAttack
AG
Not sure about the WA market. We are only in TX, FL, GA, MI, WI and AZ.
AgAttack
AG
Tabasco said:

Our family of four are grandfathered in on a BCBS individual PPO in Houston. Just went up 18% to 1350/mo. Basically goes up 10-20% a year

We just added a Memorial Hermann PPO in Houston, might want to check it out to compare. Your grandfathered plan will likely be best, but good to have another comparison point.
Zemira
AG
Thanks
ATXaggie83
AG
Hi AGAttack,

We have been getting coverage on the marketplace for the past several years and this year our doctors are not on any of the plans. I entered our doctors on your website and it also showed no plans had them. We have used our primary doctors for 20+ years and I am very upset with this situation. Do you have any other alternatives that would allow us to keep our current doctors?

We live in the Austin area and one of our daughters is at A&M.
AgAttack
AG
ATXaggie83 said:

Hi AGAttack,

We have been getting coverage on the marketplace for the past several years and this year our doctors are not on any of the plans. I entered our doctors on your website and it also showed no plans had them. We have used our primary doctors for 20+ years and I am very upset with this situation. Do you have any other alternatives that would allow us to keep our current doctors?

We live in the Austin area and one of our daughters is at A&M.

Hey ATX,

Oh man, that's a bummer. Send me an email with your doctor's names and I can look into it a little further. Jack@takecommandhealth.com.

We are seeing this happen to more and more clients this year as doctor networks continue to shrink. We put together this article that might help too: http://blog.takecommandhealth.com/cant-find-health-plan-doctor-try-tips/
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.