Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anyone use Medi Share?????????

14,395 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MAS444
ETxAg1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'm getting bent over for the second year in a row by Obama and have to change plans again and looks like the only thing available really are HMOs with high dues and high deductibles.

So Im just seeking out opinions on Medi-Share. I don't go to the doctor a lot (didn't go once this year, so far, knock on wood). Ive read through their website a little bit but any advice and/or experiences are welcome.

Also whats the application process like? I only really go to church on holidays at the grandparents, is that a deal breaker with them?

TIA
Long Live Sully
AG
We do. Works for us. Application is easy. You just affirm that you don't take drugs and such and that you are a believer and practice the same. Take Command Health can guide you. They were a sponsor here for awhile.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yep. Great option for my family
Vernada
AG
You might try searching - I know there have been some threads here with differing opinions.
BBDP
AG
Liberty share is great.
AggiePeeps06
AG
Thanks for the shout out Cow Hop Ag!

ETXAg, we would love to help you figure out the best plan for you and your family. Our site is www.takecommandhealth.com and my email is todd at takecommandhealth dot com
Fightin_Aggie
AG
LCoworker's wife used it. Didn't turn out well. A couple of medical bills were not correct and/or did not get paid timely and medishare dumped them.

It seemed like medishare could and does dump its customers fairly easily.
AgAttack
AG
I work at TakeCommandHealth.com too!

We put together this review of Medi-Share to highlight some of the differences that are important to understand: http://blog.takecommandhealth.com/medi-share-review-how-it-compares-to-traditional-insurance/

I moved my family over to it this year and will be updating the blog based on our experience soon! Overall though, it's been a really positive experience and remains the highest rated "carrier" among our clients when we survey them. We did have a bill that was higher than expected for my newborn (consider keeping newborns on their own major medical policy), but was able to negotiate it down with our new medical bill negotiation service.

Hope that helps!
Post removed:
by user
longsisters
AG
This is our first year using Medishare and have loved it thus far. I'm pregnant with our second child. Just curious about the unexpected bill with your newborn. Was there something different about Medishare than it would have with traditional insurance? Or more broadly, why do you recommend having them on separate policy?
AgAttack
AG
longsisters said:

This is our first year using Medishare and have loved it thus far. I'm pregnant with our second child. Just curious about the unexpected bill with your newborn. Was there something different about Medishare than it would have with traditional insurance? Or more broadly, why do you recommend having them on separate policy?

Hi Longsisters!

Congrats on the new baby on the way! You should be fine for your hospital delivery as long as it's in network and you've been with medishare your whole pregnancy.

Medishare does not cover newborn vaccinations which run about $150 each whereas major medical covers them for no cost. I'm going to run the numbers and post a blog soon on our final decision.

Would you be willing to share about your Medishare experience being pregnant on our blog? My blog team has been looking for users to interview. Let me know if interested! Jack@takecommandhealth.com thanks!
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Medishare does not cover newborn vaccinations which run about $150 each whereas major medical covers them for no cost.
In Texas, vaccinations for uninsured are $22 each.

It is called the Texas Vaccines for Children Program (TVFC) part of the larger federal Vaccines for Children Program (VFC) program.

There are no income requirements for this and you don't have to be on CHIP or Medicare. Ask the hospital or pediatrician if they participate in this. If not, ask your pediatrician. All the doctors we talked to do participate.
longsisters
AG
Ah yes. My family doc is awesome and offers the state vaccines for his medishare patients. So usually under $50 for all of them including admin fees. He also advises doing cash pay for well visits since medishare doesn't pay much towards those opposed to sick visits.

Line up and wait 18L
I am interested in Medi Share as well. I have a couple of friends using it, one is a physician. All reports from them have been very good.
AgAttack
AG
GoHomeLeg said:

I am interested in Medi Share as well. I have a couple of friends using it, one is a physician. All reports from them have been very good.

We'd love to help you get set up GoHomeLeg or answer any questions you may have. We get a $100 referral from Medi Share and it doesn't impact your cost at all.
AnyOtherName
AG
Looking for some advice... I am a returning student working towards my Masters... insurance has been a pain in my side as my insurance of 2 months (obamacare) is being dropped for 2017. Pretty frustrating that I just jumped into this and it is already being dropped so I am beginning to look around.

I am a believer and needing a lower monthly premium, so Medishare sounds appealing. Are there any restrictions for being a student or is this something that would be ideal for me? Thank you for your help
Guitarsoup
AG
No restrictions about being a student. But they do have other restrictions (Christian lifestyle)
AnyOtherName
AG
No problem there. Is the AHP essentially your deductible? It sounds like it would be a great option for a student that doesn't frequent the doctor?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Definite Christian lifestyle
Guitarsoup
AG
AnyOtherName said:

No problem there. Is the AHP essentially your deductible? It sounds like it would be a great option for a student that doesn't frequent the doctor?

Exactly.
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Definite Christian lifestyle

Go to their website. They list things they will and will not cover.

For instance, have a child out of wedlock, they won't cover the pregnancy.

Suicide attempt? No coverage

Get injured while you are driving drunk? No coverage.

Drug overdose? No coverage.

Rehab? Not covered
Aggie09Derek
AG
gotcha.

Interesting that this stuff isn't covered:

Behavioral/Mental Health care including, but not limited to:
Psychiatric or psychological care
Special education charges
Counseling or care for learning deficiencies or behavioral problems, whether or not associated with a manifest mental disorder or other disturbance (e.g. Attention Deficit Disorders or Autism)
lunchbox
Aggie09Derek said:

gotcha.

Interesting that this stuff isn't covered:

Behavioral/Mental Health care including, but not limited to:
Psychiatric or psychological care
Special education charges
Counseling or care for learning deficiencies or behavioral problems, whether or not associated with a manifest mental disorder or other disturbance (e.g. Attention Deficit Disorders or Autism)

Yeah we looked into medi-share until we came across the things not covered...
longsisters
AG
There are a lot of things that aren't covered like y'all have noted. I would assume the reason why they are able to keep costs low is because of those things. Unfortunate for folks who need those things, but are tired of paying outrageous traditional insurance prices.
Guitarsoup
AG
longsisters said:

There are a lot of things that aren't covered like y'all have noted. I would assume the reason why they are able to keep costs low is because of those things. Unfortunate for folks who need those things, but are tired of paying outrageous traditional insurance prices.
It may still be cheaper to be on Medishare even with paying for those things out of pocket.

Medishare is basically a PPO. We were paying over 1200/mo for our EPO with a very limited number of doctors in network.

Now we are paying $320 for a 5k/year deductible.

So even if we had to pay $500 a month to treat a kid with ADD out of pocket, it would still put us ahead almost $400/month.
AnyOtherName
AG
How quickly are the bills paid to providers after they are put up for sharing? Is it in a timely fashion or is it something you have to fret about?
longsisters
AG
Honestly, I haven't ever met my AHP, so not sure how that works....whether it is fast or slow. But the details of the bills show up on the portal in good time. Having a baby this year, so I can report back on how all that works later on.
longsisters
AG
Agreed. I think you come on top as well no matter what. But just don't have first hand experience if costs for some of those things.

Another thing I have been pleasantly surprised about is RXs. We have had normal antibiotic, steroids, and other kid stuff and the prescription coverage has been really good. I can't speak to more ongoing RXs though. Just acute type stuff.
AnyOtherName
AG
Awesome. I don't intend to meet my AHP either, but who does. Was just curious how efficient it was incase you have an unexpected event. There is nothing out there regarding this other than personal testimonies posted through CCM but they are pretty broad.
Line up and wait 18L
AgAttack said:

GoHomeLeg said:

We'd love to help you get set up GoHomeLeg or answer any questions you may have. We get a $100 referral from Medi Share and it doesn't impact your cost at all.
Sorry, I just now saw this. I have full coverage through my employer now and hope to have it after retirment but that may be questionable. I'm 58 and have mandatory retirement at 65 although would like to retire earlier.

I have only heard good things about Medi Share but I'm sure there are other stories. Christian lifestyle is ok by me, doing that anyway.
txagssweetie2014
Curious if anyone had a serious health bill like bad auto accident or unexpected cancer or something and did Nedi share cover all those expenses? We rarely go to doctors but want to know if something really bad happens that we aren't faceing 6 figure medical bills. Also what kind of doctor network do they have in north Austin?
Guitarsoup
AG
txagssweetie2014 said:

Curious if anyone had a serious health bill like bad auto accident or unexpected cancer or something and did Nedi share cover all those expenses? We rarely go to doctors but want to know if something really bad happens that we aren't faceing 6 figure medical bills. Also what kind of doctor network do they have in north Austin?
A friend has had two pregnancies, both with complications with no problem. They are still with MediShare and highly recommends them.

Couldn't tell you about doctors in Austin.
BBDP
AG
My brother has one of the sharing plans... pretty sure it's medi-share. His son had a condition where his skull fused too early and they had to go in and break it apart so it could grow properly. They covered all of that. There are follow up issues they are 3-4 years into it and still covering everything.

They are looking to get off of Medi-share (or whichever one they are on) and switching over to Liberty share due to cost. Liberty share is cheaper once you reach about 40.... just how they do it. ... about $1,000 per year but going to be more every year.

Liberty share's belief statement is a lot more generic than the others that I looked into. I could not sign it on several of them.

We have had several $2,500+ issues that were covered easily. There are a few headaches having to go back and forth with the provider but Liberty has been very good.

JasonD2005
AG
Well here's another post to keep this going.

We are seriously considering MediShare, but there are some things that make it a scary-ass iffy product to me. I'm concerned about what new treatments might fall under "pre-existing conditions" because they are in a similar area as, say, an old injury, or maybe a new illness that is aggravated by a pre-existing condition.

We could probably both pass their fit test as we are in "good shape" (low blood pressure, cholesterol, BMI, etc.), but I've been through some stuff in the past 10 years.

Honestly seems like the best of a bunch of bad options. Only thing we can afford that won't basically relegate us to county hospitals and horrible doctors 50 miles away. Sure we can keep our doctors with a $1,300/mo off-exchange HMO.

(Obligatory thanks to our asshat-in-chief and his band of scumbags on The Hill for making healthcare "more affordable." We middle-class, self-employed folks really appreciate it.)
Guitarsoup
AG
When I filled out the application, the pre-existing conditions was a last three-years type deal for most conditions, but things like cancer were longer.

So I have had kidney stones and had my appendix out. Not worried about the appendix. Obviously will probably have kidney stones again. So they take the date of my last kidney stone (self-reported) and start the clock there.

So if I had a kidney stone 18mo before starting coverage, I am on my own for the next 18mo (because I think it is a three year prohibition on medical conditions like that, longer for things such as cancer.) Once I pass that without anything, they will cover it again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.