Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Future of TV: Netflix v HBO v Sling TV

3,139 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by knoxtom
gvine07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not a business or finance guy, but I'm always curious to see which direction technology takes us.Which model do you think will have the biggest impact in reshaping TV over the next 10ish years?

Netflix

HBO

Sling TV
LostInLA07
AG
Netflix and Sling (more than likely someone similar to Sling)
TennAg
I'll take none of the above and go with Sony's VUE.

As far as content, not technology, Netflix does have an enormous amount of momentum.
CS78
Whoever can offer a fast user friendly interface, fully customizable live channel selection combined with reasonable movie access, at the best price. I like the direction sling is going but not sure if they will be the winner or just a step in the right direction.
Ragoo
AG
Sling is owned by EchoStar who has big interests in Dish Network. I wonder how that relegation ship will slow the fully customizable options progress.

The problem with fully customizable is unpredictable revenue streams for the networks. Right now their channels are bundled with other channels by the cable companies, this gives everyone a consistent predictable revenue stream.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

As far as content, not technology, Netflix does have an enormous amount of momentum.
What Netflix really has is data. They keep data on what everyone watches and can leverage that data into buying the shows that cost the least while are still in demand.
SparkE
quote:
quote:

What Netflix really has is data. They keep data on what everyone watches and can leverage that data into buying the shows that cost the least while are still in demand.
The data they have must be amazing. Someone stopped watching series X at Y season and Z episode? What changed? Now aggregate that data across millions of people and thousands of series.

Explains why I loved the last several Netflix originals I've seen. They felt like paint by numbers, but they were done so well I didn't care.
BT1395
AG
NFLX's quarterly numbers just took a giant crap on the traditional media outlets. Impressive growth...
YouBet
AG
Not sure but I wish they would hurry the hell up so I can start saving some money.

DTV Now is very promising if they can power through the sh^t show it is right now. If they get the bugs worked out and add DVR I would move to that plus Netflix in a heartbeat. Would save me $100 per month under current pricing.
gvine07
AG
Thanks for bumping this. One day I had a huge response typed up and when I went to post it an error happened and it went away. I remember being pissed.

I had Sling and enjoyed it, but I think HBO and Netflix are better off because they're making their own content while also distributing others. I think there will be market demand for all 3 in the future. My wife and I dropped Sling but still pay for Netflix, HBO, Hulu, and Amazon

It seems like HBO should have had a huge head start on everybody (combo of live/on demand/own content) but Netflix has the momentum now
Ragoo
AG
today I wish I hadn't been called out of 6 NFLX contracts @ $103 this past May, with premium the sales price was really $108 though.
Bird Poo
AG
Sony Vue seems to have the closest thing to cable if you have several TVs in the house. It has a cloud DVR and you can still get the local channels. That's important for families that still watch a lot of the family friendly sitcoms. Can't let my kids watch HBO and a lot of the Netflix shows. Granted, Netflix does have a lot of kid content but I haven't looked at how to restrict certain content yet.
knoxtom
Kids today don't watch any of them. They are 95% youtube
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.