Business & Investing
Sponsored by

New manager advice

4,176 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Joseph Parrish
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just took over as the manager of my headquarters in Houston and am trying to think of small, relatively inexpensive things to do for our staff. The company has gone through six months of roller coasters with management, and the remaining non-exec staff has been effectively ignored to the point that moral and production are at near-all time lows.

I'm already thinking of doing a lunch this week just for them (they only ever get leftovers from exec lunches that are brought in), but am wanting to do other small things.

Anyone have any ideas on things I can do to put them first and show them that things will be changing in an effort to motivate them to increase production and lift moral a little bit?
stroodles
AG
First, if possible I would get everyone into one meeting and explain what you are trying to change.

As far as the actual ideas here are some that I have seen:

Let everyone have one Friday afternoon off once a month for a couple of months (everyone gets to pick their week, and not everyone gets to pick the same week). My company lets us do it over the summer. Folks must let their supervisor know what week they want and supervisor must be OK with the time off.

Get some $50 gift cards to Target, Academy, or gas cards, and hand them out to folks who are performing at the top, volunteering to perform then less desirable tasks, or generally doing more than what is asked. Make it a big deal when you hand them out and let everyone know why they got the card. If you make it a limited program make sure to note that. Some may get upset if they don't get one, but could help with productivity.

Set up a top golf event, happy hour, or something else OFF SITE that everyone can interact outside of the office.

Set up goals for each individual and provide bonuses for those who meet or exceed said goals. Goals must be agreed to by both management and individual. You don't want someone setting very easy goals so they can get their full bonus. I would also set up some sort of sliding scale that way if someone partially reaches their goals they get a partial bonus.

Not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but it gives you some ideas.
stroodles
AG
You could also set up some sort of volunteering opportunity where the entire company can go (during the week) if they want. You could do a day at the Houston Food Bank, a homeless shelter, work with a school on a beautification project, etc. This goes with getting everyone off site and interacting outside of the office.
Ulrich
Margarita machine. Next question.
Ragoo
AG
Recognition is free and goes further than monetary gifts. Plus giving away your money becomes expected.
The Wonderer
AG
We already let everyone go early on Fridays so they can get ahead of traffic and allow flex time so long as they work at least 8 hours a day.

Due to a financial crunch and skeleton crew, I can't spend much and really need people in the office working at all available times. We do TopGolf at Christmas for our holiday party, but that has already been axed for the year.

I like the gift card idea for top producers, but there are 7 different departments that are all just director levels now except for my AP department and I cannot figure out a way to track their production other than to know that it is not meeting the inflow of items needing input.

This is really a "we can't fix it and you're going to be the fall guy when it fails" type of a appointment to me, but I think I can get it turned around if just given the time.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Margarita machine. Next question.
I've been pushing for an office bar for 3 years.
CapCity12thMan
AG
as mentioned - communicate. Let them know you are the one in charge of managing now, and you would like to see some changes. Communicate you have some ideas, but want input into these changes. This would empower your folks to feel like they are the ones making the changes and that they have skin in the game and can directly contribute.

Ideas you have might be good ones but they may not jive with the rest of the group. You also didn't say want industry or skills your group has, which might help with ideas of events. I know for my office, TopGolf would be horrendous (and I am a golfer).

For me, personally, gift cards and such are nice, but I would always ultimately prefer time off. If you could figure a way with your workers to just take an extra day or two outside of normal vacation, that would go a long way...call it work from home, PTO, sick day, whatever. Keep it out of the logged PTO or vacation bank and it should endear your employee to you since you are bucking the system some.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Agree with others - any type of lunch or monetary thing will be a nice gesture, but will be corporate white noise.

What I think resonates, and has had the biggest impact on my personal feelings about my management chains at different places, comes down to 2 things:
1. Interact and engate with your folks
2. Advocate for them when possible

Interact with them. Talk to them pretty regularly and get to know them as you can. Nothing over the top, but it's hard for people to think you actually care about them, even as a manager, if you never talk to them or ask them anything beyond when assignments will be done.

Advocate for them when possible. I do the best job I can, but it's much, much easier to go the extra mile when I'm doing it for somebody that I know has my back and will be a supporting voice. Nothing is worse than a manager that looks to throw their own people under the bus - yes I've had one of these before. Obviously, there are times you cannot do this, but if possible, I think it goes a long ways.

All that said, if the company is in a rough spot, I'm not sure how much morale can be improved. Ultimately, cuts will probably (I'm guessing) come from over your head, and they probably know that, which is going to make for a strained environment, regardless of how much they enjoy working for you and how productive they are able to be in that environment.

Just my thoughts off the cuff.
The Wonderer
AG
I've been with this company for 4+ years in the General Counsel's office, so I know everyone. We've already laid off 77% of the company (shutdown of the main division), so everyone is already waiting for pink slips I believe.

They all know me/who I am, but I'm already seeing some fallout from HR (the only person other than me and my higher-ups that knows) due to being here the least amount of time and the youngest in the company (by about 15 years) and being placed in charge.

I plan to talk to them when the announcement is made official, but it seems to me the motivation just isn't present anymore (I'm guilty of this too).

Overall, I think this is a chance to make a real change, but at the same time I think I'm being set up for failure from the get-go.
Buck Compton
AG
Just to echo a few things from others in my own words... I think you have some good advice here. Just a quick couple thoughts:

EVERYTHING boils down to authenticity and communication. Your employees are (hopefully) pretty sharp and can detect BS just as well as you can. The reason things like lunches and handouts fall short are that everyone does them and they just seem too impersonal - they have had those in the past and nothing changed/cuts still came. Make sure they know you are all in this together and outline some high-level things you want to get done.

My first step would be to schedule a brief town hall-type meeting. This needs to be with a catered lunch or snacks ideally. Open with your thoughts/plans/immediate goals and give some time for an open Q&A. Be honest and genuine with responses - no corporate speak if possible. Get everyone on the same page.

On a more regular basis, I like to get some weekly/bi-weekly/monthly one-on-ones with direct reports (pick the cadence that works for you and your team - ours are bi-weekly). Each meeting is casual in nature and just a conversation about progress, major obstacles, etc. that has happened since the last meeting. At least once in each meeting, I end by asking a direct question about what they need from me to accomplish their action items. I meet with many of them more frequently, but like to let people handle their own business if possible.

Off-site events are great, but only if people can truly get away from work talk. If you just go to the bar and relive work to continue to discuss things, it feels like more work.

I also have some scheduled open door time each week. Anyone can come in and chat about anything (not just work related). I generally try to keep an open door at all times, but we all know how quickly schedules fill up. This hour or two per week allows anyone to just stop by and chat. I also keep an open calendar (anyone can see my schedule details) - this way they have some visibility into what I am doing.

Outside of this - know that the buck stops with you. No one from a higher level directly criticizes my people. I will discuss any mistakes with them after the fact, but our executive leadership knows not to go after my team without coming to me. As the previous poster said, people are willing to run through walls and take some good risks if they know the hammer won't come down from 2-3 levels up.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
I've been with this company for 4+ years in the General Counsel's office, so I know everyone. We've already laid off 77% of the company (shutdown of the main division), so everyone is already waiting for pink slips I believe.

They all know me/who I am, but I'm already seeing some fallout from HR (the only person other than me and my higher-ups that knows) due to being here the least amount of time and the youngest in the company (by about 15 years) and being placed in charge.

I plan to talk to them when the announcement is made official, but it seems to me the motivation just isn't present anymore (I'm guilty of this too).

Overall, I think this is a chance to make a real change, but at the same time I think I'm being set up for failure from the get-go.
If you fail, you fail. No biggie, you'll bounce back. Don't let your circumstances dictate your attitude from the start though.

I think you are on the right track, but set some clear goals with hard deadlines. Work your ass off to meet them. Make sure your people are on board, and get rolling - times like this are also when you want to be the first in and last out as a leader - even if just for appearances and morale. People need to see your commitment.

Times like this (heavy turmoil, turnover, or uncertainty) are when leadership is most important. If the issue is a macro one, then micro solutions like gift cards aren't going to fix things.
Dr. Nefario
Casual sex Fridays!
ATXAdvisor
AG
Best advice I ever received regarding managing was that no cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Buying stuff or giving people things will rarely make a long term impact. Knowing your peoples' goals, family situations, etc, and giving a damn about them can carry you a long way. Especially when you inevitably will be asked to have them make sacrifices for the company.

Soldiers fight for the one next to them much more so than the flag on the pole.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Found this on another site:

Really cool presentation

~egon
On your first day, just walk in, and immediately beat the crap out of the toughest person on the floor. Seriously, I know it sounds crazy, but you have to act quickly and without mercy. Just beat the ever-living mess out of this person. Doesn't matter if guy or girl.

Wait, that's prison. Sorry.
diehard03
quote:
Wait, that's prison. Sorry.

eh, its the same.
GetThoseKeysMilo
I agree with the town hall-style meeting. Make sure to demonstrate that you understand that you do not know everything, and that their input is valuable.

A lot of times what employees really want is to feel like they have a voice or input into changes that affect them. And frankly a lot of times the solutions they may offer will be very beneficial. As a manager you cannot see everything going on at the ground level, but a lot of times the people working at those levels absolutely can.

One of the worst things a manager can do to affect morale in a negative way is to not listen. Availability is huge, especially to the younger generation of employees.
Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
Don't throw anyone on your team under the bus. My current manager can be very helpful and great at times but if we ever get in a meeting with her peers she will throw you under the bus to protect herself. Often times is partially her fault and partially mine however she will question me in front of everyone why I didn't get it right when 5 minutes before the meeting she comments that it looks good. Burns me every time.

My old manager would take the heat even if it was not his fault. I always felt awful but I would work my butt off to get it right the next time to make him look good.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Don't throw anyone on your team under the bus. My current manager can be very helpful and great at times but if we ever get in a meeting with her peers she will throw you under the bus to protect herself. Often times is partially her fault and partially mine however she will question me in front of everyone why I didn't get it right when 5 minutes before the meeting she comments that it looks good. Burns me every time.

My old manager would take the heat even if it was not his fault. I always felt awful but I would work my butt off to get it right the next time to make him look good.

I've done this several times already when heat came onto directors. I know they're swamped and I managed to deflect to me as I could have foreseen what happened, but the fault rested at their feet and they just didn't see what was going on at the time. As someone that has been trapped under the bus for the last 3+ years, I get that it sucks and I talk to them after the meeting in private to see what they need or how I can help to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I don't excuse the screw up, but I don't make a point to make it public to superiors in the C-suite. I was always taught to praise in public, punish/question in private.
Ulrich
One of my old bosses would sign off on an analysis/project and then be the one to start drilling me with questions and trying to find holes during presentations to execs. P*ssed me off to no end when the execs were happy but my own boss made them doubtful because he wanted to make sure everyone knows how smart he is.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
quote:
This was one of the key traits of the best boss I have had to date. He made it very clear that he was going to push you hard and expect a lot out of you, but if you gave him that effort, he consistently backed his employees. Taking the heat when they were wrong, but deferring the praise when they were right. Made people want to work hard for him.
94chem
quote:
Set up a top golf event, happy hour, or something else OFF SITE that everyone can interact outside of the office.
Whenever there's low morale, why do managers think that forcing us to spend more time together is a good idea? Send 'em home early. Don't make them get together AFTER hours too!
94chem
quote:
This was one of the key traits of the best boss I have had to date.
How many of your bosses have you had to date?
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
Whenever there's low morale, why do managers think that forcing us to spend more time together is a good idea? Send 'em home early. Don't make them get together AFTER hours too!
agree. I only do after hour stuff if the team is pushing for it. I always include spouses too when we have done after work happy hours and such.
BusterAg
AG
quote:
This x 100

Knowing your peoples' goals, family situations, etc, and giving a damn about them can carry you a long way.
This is where I have always had the most success. Get to know what your people want to accomplish, and help them get there. If your people believe you that giving extra effort will lead to something better, many of them will give you that extra effort.

Don;t just try to bribe good performance with treats and bonuses, find ways to align performance and personal goals.

This could be different types of experience, training, more flexible work hours, promotion, upwards viability, more responsibility, less responsibility, a change in responsibilities, etc. Help your people grow, either at work or in the personal lives, even if the immediate future doesn't look too bright.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:

If you fail, you fail. No biggie, you'll bounce back. Don't let your circumstances dictate your attitude from the start though.

I think you are on the right track, but set some clear goals with hard deadlines. Work your ass off to meet them. Make sure your people are on board, and get rolling - times like this are also when you want to be the first in and last out as a leader - even if just for appearances and morale. People need to see your commitment.

Times like this (heavy turmoil, turnover, or uncertainty) are when leadership is most important. If the issue is a macro one, then micro solutions like gift cards aren't going to fix things.
Everyone has already given good advice. I agree most with those mentioning the importance of having their backs and letting them know that you'll do what you can to make things better. I've worked in an area where there were several teams doing roughly the same work, but the environments were VASTLY different due to the differences in the managers.

To piggie-back off of Buck: People respond to results, so try for some short victories. It seems like you want legitimate change, but when people become jaded about an organization, they may need to see some small positive changes to start convincing them that larger change is possible. If they see you working hard to do things for them (and hopefully for yourself too), they will definitely appreciate it. Try to involve them too though or else it can backfire into them expecting you to do everything all of the time.

Age differences can be an issue for some, but, again, results can speak for themselves and change minds. Some people may have been around too long anyway. They become jaded, are resistant to changes, etc. Don't let them discourage you if they are in the minority. There are always going to be those people.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Care to share what's worked and what hasn't in the last year?

I moved into management a few months ago and I recognize I still a have a lot of room to grow. Excited about the position, but it's like drinking from a fire hose at times.
The Wonderer
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I moved into management a few months ago and I recognize I still a have a lot of room to grow. Excited about the position, but it's like drinking from a fire hose at times.
Didn't matter much as we laid everyone off a few months after I stepped in (Dec 29th actually). Now have an office of five people (from the peak of over 60 just a year ago and 15 when I stepped in as manager). The business is shutting down and I'm getting laid off at the end of July.

Fun times!
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Ouch! Hopefully not a cautionary tale!
The Wonderer
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Ouch! Hopefully not a cautionary tale!
Nothing I could have done. The owners and previous executives made decisions that, looking back, were not the best.

On the positive side, I've gotten very close with the consultant that was brought in to liquidate the assets. So I've got that going for while looking for a new position and/or starting up my own law firm, so that's nice.
bam02
AG
The Wonderer said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

Didn't matter much as we laid everyone off a few months after I stepped in (Dec 29th actually). Now have an office of five people (from the peak of over 60 just a year ago and 15 when I stepped in as manager). The business is shutting down and I'm getting laid off at the end of July.

Fun times!

Oh dang! Sorry to hear that for you and all the rest of the employees.

I just read this thread and knew it was old but wasn't prepared for that update.
Joseph Parrish
AG
So I didn't read everything that's been posted. I think empowering my employees to make decisions helped me a lot. The guy before me did everything his way and his way only. It wasn't always the best option either. Now there will always be things you want to do as a manager when it comes to work, but I feel like my employees had a little more pride when I let them try some of their ideas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.