Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,079,561 Views | 224429 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by bmoochie
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/03/18/facebook-may-have-violated-ftc-privacy-deal-say-former-federal-officials-triggering-risk-of-massive-fines/?utm_term=.4f207c85d2f5

I'm not very concerned as even EFX returned back 60% of it's drop..
Bonfire1996
AG
Facebook is shedding users. That's scary.
pacecar02
they are going to screw themselves

This hand-ringing over misused data is a load of crap. They're mad because their platform was used against their ideology, boo hoo

perhaps they aren't as smart as they think they are
tailgatetimer10
AG
Except most of their users that they are "losing", are moving to Instagram
pfo
AG
Les Appelt 1999 said:

Facebook is shedding users. That's scary.

I agree. And users are spending less time than before on the site. Also, if Zuckerberg and ALL the other executives thought FB would be up another 50% by year end then 100% of them wouldn't be selling now. That's never happened before.

I sold half last week and today. But any company that reaches 2 billion people still has a helluva lot going for it. But clearly they have problems and, frankly, I'm sick of a negative headline coming out on the stock every week.

Rice and Fries
tailgatetimer10 said:

Except most of their users that they are "losing", are moving to Instagram

Which is owned by FB just in case there were those who didn't know.
Bonfire1996
AG
Funny little anecdote:

We sold our house in December, moved, and bought a new house a few weeks ago. I felt confident about risk/reward at the time in December, so I put our money at risk with somewhat tight stop loss controls. We made out like bandits and are funding a huge chunk of renovations out of our gains.

My son (12) wanted to invest half his money in stocks because of our success. So I had to have several talks about long term strategies, and how short term gains like we had were rare, etc. He understood, but still wanted to jump in with a long term horizon.

So we bought shares today in Sony, JP Morgan, and Apple. I told him I would wait a bit since futures were bloody. I timed the bottom pretty accurately, especially on Sony. I can't wait to see his reaction when he pulls up Sony, down 5% on the day, and he freaks out.

It will either be a great learning experience or I will have created a day trader. Market down around 2.0% on the day and he's up 0.5%.
leoj
AG
Fb security chief leaving now. When it rains it pours. Anyone else think zuckerburg should let someone else take over as CEO?
Joseph Parrish
AG
leoj said:

Fb security chief leaving now. When it rains it pours. Anyone else think zuckerburg should let someone else take over as CEO?

IrishTxAggie
AG
oldarmy1
AG
AND the chart pattern begins it eruption today from big money insiders with the fireworks ready to rock and roll tomorrow.

https://t.co/fXHMWAknMT
treetop flyer
I don't like the way the market is acting right now. feels trapdoorish.
Ragoo
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

leoj said:

Action Jack Barker would be better.
jamaggie06
AG
Conjoined triangles of success!
tailgatetimer10
AG
Oh boy
claym711
AG
S&P is sitting on POC since the drop from ATH. Unless news driven, will likely continue balancing and revisit the poor top at some point. Another leg down and there will be a fantastic mean reversion trade. This volatility is fantastic
tailgatetimer10
AG
I've faired well by taking old's advice and cashing out any decent green opportunity. Going to keep following that pattern.

Any near future advice is appreciated here, as it seems many are on edge. However recently it has been profitable to invest during the fearful events
Ragoo
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I've faired well by taking old's advice and cashing out any decent green opportunity. Going to keep following that pattern.

Any near future advice is appreciated here, as it seems many are on edge. However recently it has been profitable to trade during the fearful events
fixed

I haven't been paying too close attention to the markets. I haven't found anything I like to trade in the last two weeks.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Correct wording in your fix
oldarmy1
AG
Ragoo said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Any near future advice is appreciated here, as it seems many are on edge. However recently it has been profitable to trade during the fearful events
fixed

I haven't been paying too close attention to the markets. I haven't found anything I like to trade in the last two weeks.
Been thin for sure. And I never do much of anything in the first hour of trading, even if I am seeing a potential trade.
what say you
I'm trying to make as much money possible in the next six months with the money I currently have invested in the stock market.

My current strategy is to buy and hold the following stocks for the next six months. My current investments from the largest to smallest percentage of my portfolio is AMZN, JPM, SN, CHK, XOM & AIMT.

My questions are... is this a good six month strategy and are the stocks I chose good choices for the time period? Are there better ones to look at? Thanks in advance!
CPDAggie10
AG
TWTR getting drug down close to 10% today on the Facebook fiasco. I've lost all my gains from the past month or so. Thinking about buying more on this dip...thoughts?
tailgatetimer10
AG
12% on the day so far, insane!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Sounds like a Twitter buying situation soon. This Facebook thing is being my slightly overblown I think.

Edit:
Just took a position at 30.75
tailgatetimer10
AG
I bought in here and grabbed a small portion of Facebook. I agree with you, even if it ends up being a longer hold than expected
Reload8098
AG
I just picked up $125k on a real estate (undeveloped corner) flip and I don't know where to place it. I admit I don't understand the charts you guys put up and after mostly out of the market for a while. I made a lot (millions) back in the crazy NASDAQ days of the 90's. I owned my startup company and turned it into a medium sized branded gas distributorship. My partner wound up embezzling several million dollars while I was back in Texas taking care of Dad ('47) who had suffered a heart attack. Trying to make this story short and not drag this out... So when I returned home I discovered what had happened. The individual left his wife, children and me holding a huge debt and of course my cash flow had taken a massive hit. I flipped what commercial property I was holding for development but with having to sell it quickly I only realized a small profit of what the properties were actually worth. So I lost EVERYTHING, personal bankruptcy, corporate bankruptcy and a divorce with three babies. I got somewhat back on my feet with some private investors who believed in me and we reopened several convenience stores/truck stops that went under when the hypermarkets sent margins spirally downward. I wound up going back into the corporate world to have more time with my kids. I'm now a sales exec for a major oil company and doing pretty well. I re-married an Aggie I met through the Aggie Club in Memphis and she does well in the healthcare industry. But I'm still trying to rebuild wealth. I'm ok assuming a decent amount of risk. I just want to be smart. Probably not different than anybody else here. Back in the 90's I made most of my investment decisions from listening to some of my friends, reading a LOT of investment articles, etc.
I've considered investing in housing but not sure this is the best time as I believe the Knoxville market is at an all time high and doesn't have the insulation that a major city carries. I've thought about investing in a franchise and leaving the corporate world. I have an 9 month son (we lost two babies early in our marriage and an adoption very late in the process). They told us she just had bad eggs. 11 years later surprise the good Lord blessed us with a happy, fat little guy. I want to take care of my family. I'd appreciate advice/guidance. Thanks for reading.
Ranger222
AG
I think Twitter got caught in a bad social media company news day. Seems like a convergence of factors -- FB, potential regulation, and also a story on Israel weighing legal action against Twitter for online incitement. If it holds the 50 day moving average, I'll be a buyer but still a wait-and-see for me.

One of my holdings, MuleSoft, got bought today by Salesforce so I'm pretty ecstatic about that. A $17 IPO a year ago to being bought for ~$45 today.
pacecar02
I think we are all waiting for the DOW to trend one way or the other, maybe after the FED tomorrow..maybe after Trumps China tariff details come out

Because of rising interest rates I'm curios how that will affect housing and home prices(up down or sideways there is money to be made)

I trade options through tastytrade, I'm very small but maintain consistent gains. I started May 31st last year.

Bunch of the other folks take an approach I would call wealth management (i'm not that fortunate yet). You have a bank roll you use to establish positions in stocks you like, then look to reduce cost basis and free up your bankroll to where your holdings are at a net $0 out of pocket. Re-balance as appropriate.

Be diverse. If learning I would try funding maybe with 5 or 10k just to get comfortable with the mechanics and the platform of your choice. If you are really conservative you could even paper trade for a while, test your assumptions on probable trades against actual results. Tastyworks has a lot of free videos and online classes that will help you get familiar with the nomenclature and the basics of options trading.

here is a link if you want to check it out:

tastyworks

Long Live Sully
AG
I have no advice but I am proud to internet know you. Keep up the fight.
oldarmy1
AG
Based on your post I know you know there is no magic bean to reclaim your losses. It does sound great that the good Lord has brought you onto the other side with a great beginning to a success story.

Based on where you are right now I would take it very slowly for up to two years, stabilize 100% while you continue to explore those opportunities best suited to your skills and desires. Your wife can play a vital role in this as a sounding board and fellow brainstormer.

Whatever you do - do not start trading. I'm no financial adviser but there are great investments vehicles offering 8-12% returns per year. I'd plug some/most into those during that next 1-2 year horizon, if you are 100% certain you wouldn't require any of it.

Best wishes!
oldarmy1
AG
Waiting for release of new Fed Chair talking points. Lot of chatter that it would be bullish in its tone. 1/4 point increase would demonstrate a slow roll approach. Day traders will buy early weakness into the Fed meeting looking for a "pop" as text becomes public.
oldarmy1
AG
2 of the 3 oil holdings have maintained Cup and handle extending. SN is the wild card with SWN having the clearest short term breakout technically. The support bottom formed on major volume stopping the falling knife. Then after a period of churning a large volume break back upward into the current handle. Resistance at $4.60. Breakthrough there with a volume signal and its off to the races. Fail below $4.15 area and nothing happening soon.

Rice and Fries
oldarmy1 said:

2 of the 3 oil holdings have maintained Cup and handle extending. SN is the wild card with SWN having the clearest short term breakout technically. The support bottom formed on major volume stopping the falling knife. Then after a period of churning a large volume break back upward into the current handle. Resistance at $4.60. Breakthrough there with a volume signal and its off to the races. Fail below $4.15 area and nothing happening soon.

What are your thoughts about opening up some LEAPs (thinking Jan 2020 $5 calls so 667 days out) on SWN? The High IV worries me but at least the time decay isn't too much of a killer...
IrishTxAggie
AG
Really liking that TWTR buy yesterday.
First Page Last Page
Page 91 of 6413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.