Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,080,472 Views | 224430 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by confucius_ag
Woody2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Definitely picked the wrong year to max out early. Wish I could be buying in my 401k right now.

Curious of the logic of this, trying to get additional time in the market? I've always liked the idea if bi weekly contributions to remove any timing effect. I guess the last 2 years I missed on some gains throughout the year, but this year it's for the better...
You also have to be careful, because some employers structure their match so that they match up to 3% (or whatever percentage they are matching at) per pay period so if you max out early in the year you end up missing out on potential company matching dollars.

Most 401(k)s don't operate this way, just be aware it's a possibility.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Mine operates this way as well, which is another reason I contribute linear
gougler08
AG
Potential bear flag forming on ROKU?
Ragoo
AG
hope not. I am watching the MACD. It is the losest it has been to the indicator line in a while and has also started to move horizontal. If the MACD can continue to narrow the gap and cross the indicator I am buying more ROKU.
FriscoKid
AG
the bounce from yesterday didn't have any legs today. would have been nice to get a higher high
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

hope not. I am watching the MACD. It is the losest it has been to the indicator line in a while and has also started to move horizontal. If the MACD can continue to narrow the gap and cross the indicator I am buying more ROKU.
It still has gaps to close all the way down to 43 and change...not sure if it will get there or not though
Ragoo
AG
gougler08 said:

Ragoo said:

It still has gaps to close all the way down to 43 and change...not sure if it will get there or not though
what do you mean by "gaps to close"?
gougler08
AG
Went with a weekly 36 call on MU off what looks to be a clear V bottom
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

gougler08 said:

Ragoo said:

OA has some reasoning behind that I don't understand, but his strategy is that when a gap is left in a chart (stock opened much higher or lower than where it reached the previous day), it will eventually get filled back up.

If you look at ROKU on Aug 8th, the high point was 47.87 and the next day the low was 52.31, so there's now a gap at the 47.87 point. ROKU almost went down and touched it the past few days, but still hasn't "covered" that gap back up

If you go back to July 2, there's another gap at 43.29 but the lowest it's gotten since then was on July 31 at 43.41...so that's the 2nd gap I was pointing too

If you go back a page or two he was doing the same type of look at AMZN, which is how he derived his 1500 entry point (gap was at 1529 and momentum would take it down to ~1500 or so)
Ragoo
AG
gougler08 said:

Ragoo said:

gougler08 said:

Ragoo said:

OA has some reasoning behind that I don't understand, but his strategy is that when a gap is left in a chart (stock opened much higher or lower than where it reached the previous day), it will eventually get filled back up.

If you look at ROKU on Aug 8th, the high point was 47.87 and the next day the low was 52.31, so there's now a gap at the 47.87 point. ROKU almost went down and touched it the past few days, but still hasn't "covered" that gap back up

If you go back to July 2, there's another gap at 43.29 but the lowest it's gotten since then was on July 31 at 43.41...so that's the 2nd gap I was pointing too

If you go back a page or two he was doing the same type of look at AMZN, which is how he derived his 1500 entry point (gap was at 1529 and momentum would take it down to ~1500 or so)
ah, gotcha.
FriscoKid
AG
FriscoKid said:

the bounce from yesterday didn't have any legs today. would have been nice to get a higher high
Well well well
cgh1999
AG
Bought MDR around the lows today ($12.35). Earnings after the bell. Have beat nearly every quarter under current management. Hoping for a strong result in the next 15 minutes!!
oldarmy1
AG
Watch to see if explosion into close on most everything.
oldarmy1
AG
On que!
oldarmy1
AG
NFLX and AMZN will be green by close, or darn close.
agdaddy04
AG
Logic of what? Maxing early? We have to do it on a % basis rather than dollar amount and this year my variable compensation was quite a bit more than it's been lately and I was just not caring enough to adjust my % per paycheck down. Itd be nice if it would just come out of my bi-weekly checks and not quarterly bonuses, but it hasn't made a huge difference until now. In the long run I'm a long way from retiring so I'm going to be leaving it alone anyways. I did make it more aggressive right before these major dips so that's hurt a little more in the near future.
oldarmy1
AG
NFLX green
FriscoKid
AG
interesting...

oldarmy1
AG
FriscoKid said:

interesting...

Which stock is that?
FriscoKid
AG
oldarmy1 said:

FriscoKid said:

interesting...

Which stock is that?
S&P
ProgN
This would have happened yesterday with follow through today if Trump (I love him btw) would have stfu about more tariffs on China. Although, with the market knowing this and this action, I see today as excellent strength for the markets.
pacecar02
your line is about the middle of where I have my channel drawn
FriscoKid
AG
Prognightmare said:

This would have happened yesterday with follow through today if Trump (I love him btw) would have stfu about more tariffs on China. Although, with the market knowing this and this action, I see today as excellent strength for the markets.
Got to break through that trendline first
oldarmy1
AG
SUM with over 6 million shares versus avg 1.92m. Triple the volume = reversal.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Took the opportunity on NIO drop and loaded up quite a bit. Probably too much from a diversification standpoint. Doubled my equity position at ~$5.70 and loaded on $7 11/16 with an avg. premium of $1.32 naked puts and $6 11/16 calls at an average cost of $.55.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Never mind... Some idiot had a small order that I don't believe got filled. Freaking stupid.
cgh1999
AG
I only show it down $0.17
ProgN
I completely agree. However, if Trump would have stayed quiet and with follow through today on a rally yesterday, I believe what your stating would have happened. Trump tariff talk combined with midterms and shaky market set things back on a technical basis.
pacecar02
Fb misses and is up after hours(they have been beaten down pretty bad)

Up is down and left is right in this topsy turvy market
ProgN
FB beat but revenues weren't great. We'll see
ProgN
Quote:

Facebook Inc. recorded lower revenue than expected in the third quarter as the social-media giant continues to adjust to slowing growth rates.

Facebook's profits were higher than analysts had expected. Following the results, the company's stock price rose more than 2% to $149.38 in after-hours trading.

For the third quarter, Facebook reported earnings per share of $1.76, up from $1.59 a year earlier, beating analyst projections of $1.46 per share, according to data compiled by FactSet.

Revenue leapt 33% $13.73 billion, falling slightly short of expectations of $13.77 billion.

Before Tuesday's earnings report, Facebook shares had fallen about 20% year to date and about 34% since its last earnings report in late July. The decline in shares is part of a larger pattern of investors turning a cold shoulder to giant tech companies like Google parent Alphabet Inc. and Amazon.com Inc., which posted underwhelming sales growth last week.

This year marks perhaps the most difficult periods in Facebook's nearly 15-year history. Critics have attacked the company's lax data privacy practices, following Facebook's disclosure that it provided user records to a third party, which then sold the information to political analytics firm Cambridge Analytica. Facebook also has been criticized for its failure to enforce its content policies and allowing misinformation to infect its various apps.

Facebook has said it previously moved too slowly to fix problems underlying its platform and promised to fix these issues.

These problems have brought regulatory and government scrutiny, and they've cut into Facebook's bottom line, as the company has said it expects costs to rise and margins to fall in coming years. Those shifts reflect Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg's promise to sacrifice profitability in order to shore up the platform, stockpile video content and invest in advanced technologies like artificial intelligence.

Facebook also is bracing for slower growth in its advertising business, which currently collects the bulk of its revenue from ads that appear in the Facebook news feed. Facebook warned that growth would slow in the second half of the year, triggering a 35% decline in its stock price since late July. The falling share price has started to hit morale internally at Facebook, which has been buffeted by two years of nearly relentless criticism about its product and culture, according to current and former employees.

In the run-up to Tuesday's results, some advertisers said it wasn't sustainable for prices to rise on news feed ads, especially as more users embrace the Stories feature, which allows people to post text, photo and video montages that vanish within 24 hours. According to Credit Suisse, ads in Facebook Stories may cost about half of those in the main news feed.

Facebook's turmoil has hit its executive ranks, where at least a dozen senior or highly visible executives have left or announced their departures since the fall of 2017
pacecar02
Amzn had almost double eps over estimates and has now dropped another 200+ pts

Its whacky i tell ya
ProgN
pacecar02 said:

Amzn had almost double eps over estimates and has now dropped another 200+ pts

Its whacky i tell ya
True, I'm creating some cash because if the R's keep the House, the markets should shoot higher. I don't need to buy before or at the bottom.
cgh1999
AG
cgh1999 said:

Bought MDR around the lows today ($12.35). Earnings after the bell. Have beat nearly every quarter under current management. Hoping for a strong result in the next 15 minutes!!

Welp, that didn't work out. Missed earnings and gave up all of today's gains and much more.
UpstateAg
AG
IQ is back to the teens. Waiting for 17s before averaging down again. Woof.
First Page Last Page
Page 277 of 6413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.