Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,064,113 Views | 224404 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by GreasenUSA
jtmoney03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OA, count me as one that would like to continue to see these. I use them as education, and while I'm holding at a much higher price than I'd like to on BBOX, your suggestion and my due diligence on the leadership, is what has me continuing to hold long and look for the opportunity to decrease my net holding. It honestly is what makes this thread so great!
gougler08
AG
Bullish Haramis are trying to form on EXEL and BOX, will look to see if they can continue momentum back up tomorrow
oldarmy1
AG
TSLA DOJ probe. Dropped $18+ in 3 minutes
gougler08
AG
Ranger222 said:

Take a look at Disney...forming a hammer candle at the bottom of the cloud which could serve as support. Big call buying yesterday for a week out. I like playing this with both short and long term calls

Sept 28 calls at 111 trading at $0.64, seems like a good value
UpstateAg
AG
I agree with jt$. Love having OA post all types of options he is looking at. Learned more here than other places.
IrishTxAggie
AG
oldarmy1 said:

TSLA DOJ probe. Dropped $18+ in 3 minutes
I almost get the sense that it really doesn't matter what the cost is, it's still worth shorting Tesla. They're earnings is scheduled for Halloween which seems appropriate because it will likely scare the **** out of a lot of people.
oldarmy1
AG
SPX broke above 3 day top. Push toward new high.
oldarmy1
AG
gougler08 said:

Bullish Haramis are trying to form on EXEL and BOX, will look to see if they can continue momentum back up tomorrow

Good eye

PNC as well.
Ranger222
AG
The MoviePass Company, Helios and Matheson or HMNY, hit the price of $0.01 today, after starting the year at a split-adjusted price of $1577

Hope you weren't long
leoj
AG
Jesus. How much money have shorts made on that stock.
UpstateAg
AG
I'm not a chart expert here, but would it be accurate to say that if AMGN holds steady the rest of today, then tomorrow will be another huge spike up, like we saw last week?

Again, just learning about this stuff (I'm just a simple caveman), but the setup seems very similar.
oldarmy1
AG
Markets likely to push back towards highs today. Lots of momentum so this rest is just that IMO.

I am grabbing some SQ weekly $89 calls. With CEO on after the bell talking how much growth in transactions processed I figure ot could spike.
POW
AG
As the commissioner of our fantasy league I need to hold onto a $3K pot for the next 3 months. This is overall a relatively insignificant amount of money so I understand and am willing to risk losing some of this and needing to cover it out of my own pocket.

With that said, I have decided to finally use my robinhood account (so that it remains completely separate from my main brokerage) and pick 1-4 stocks to "invest" this in with only a 3 month time-frame in mind.

Starting research now but open to any suggestions from the pros..
IrishTxAggie
AG
Anacott Steel
Ragoo
AG
POW said:

As the commissioner of our fantasy league I need to hold onto a $3K pot for the next 3 months. This is overall a relatively insignificant amount of money so I understand and am willing to risk losing some of this and needing to cover it out of my own pocket.

With that said, I have decided to finally use my robinhood account (so that it remains completely separate from my main brokerage) and pick 1-4 stocks to "invest" this in with only a 3 month time-frame in mind.

Starting research now but open to any suggestions from the pros..
buy 10 ROKU options expiring january 2019 at $100 strike. this will cost you ~2300
oldarmy1
AG
And there is your new day high.

It's magic!
gougler08
AG
Well AMD is getting it all back this afternoon for you guys
Guitarsoup
AG
Ranger222 said:

The MoviePass Company, Helios and Matheson or HMNY, hit the price of $0.01 today, after starting the year at a split-adjusted price of $1577

Hope you weren't long

About to do a 500-1 reverse split a couple months after a 250-1 reverse split
ProgN
If they have a twitter account, I fully expect a Tubby McCueball to tweet to them!
IrishTxAggie
AG
They do. I've flamed them after the blackouts and surge pricing on empty theaters
ProgN
The Debt
I'm fairly new to stocks, like a week old. My main investment has grown 2.5% in a week. Another stock did a reverse split (4:1) and is pulling upward.

I'm mostly in it for the long game. Any books/blogs I should read? I have chosen ETFs and dividend bearing stocks.

I would like to get into bonds (excuse the irony of my handle). What would yall suggest?
Baby Billy
AG
The Debt said:

I'm fairly new to stocks, like a week old. My main investment has grown 2.5% in a week. Another stock did a reverse split (4:1) and is pulling upward.

I'm mostly in it for the long game. Any books/blogs I should read? I have chosen ETFs and dividend bearing stocks.

I would like to get into bonds (excuse the irony of my handle). What would yall suggest?

Username checks out
Baby Billy
AG
The Debt said:

You want a serious long term approach? Don't check how your investments are doing on a weekly basis, or even a monthly basis. Work with someone to get a properly allocated and diversified portfolio that is tailored to you, keep it balanced, and stay in the market no matter what.
Ranger222
AG
This is what I am seeing in AMGN looking at daily chart (I have no position)

Follow the black line that I drew. After a W bottom between April and early May, the stock had been following that line on an upward path and has touched it several times. It broke that upward trendline at the beginning of this month and has not regained it since testing and bouncing off the 50 day. Today that upward trendline served as resistance which would make me cautious. However, it still seems to be supported by 21 day (pink line). If I were long, I would want to see it reclaim upward black trendline quickly (above today's high) or I'd be out. Would not let it slip past 21 day again. My guess is that it continues to consolidate and stays in this 195 - 200 range. If so, it would kill premium on calls in the mean time.
oldarmy1
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Markets likely to push back towards highs today. Lots of momentum so this rest is just that IMO.

I am grabbing some SQ weekly $89 calls. With CEO on after the bell talking how much growth in transactions processed I figure ot could spike.

Did anyone join me on SQ calls? It not only moved up 50 cents during trading hours but is up another 65 cents after hours. $88.65
ProgN
My experience with stocks, a reverse split is never good. If you can get out break even, that's a win.
The Debt
Prognightmare said:

My experience with stocks, a reverse split is never good. If you can get out break even, that's a win.

Well...yea-ish.

So this one already bottomed out. SVXY. It dropped from $112 (all time high) to $13 (lowest low) in february....its been slowly climbing to high $14 since February. Basically I gambled that if it ever rallies back to normal, even their typical lows, I triple my investment.

The stock has done well 3 months leading into the reverse split and even after the split it's up .6%

Admittedly it's my riskiest play, but it's my smallest investment.
The Debt
Huell Babineaux said:

The Debt said:

You want a serious long term approach? Don't check how your investments are doing on a weekly basis, or even a monthly basis. Work with someone to get a properly allocated and diversified portfolio that is tailored to you, keep it balanced, and stay in the market no matter what.

I'm kinda the opposite of human nature on this. I lost 30 pounds weighing myself 3 times a day. I get a cute personal trainer she says to stop checking daily. "Its counter productive!" After a month of not checking, I'm 8 lbs heavier.

So when it comes to stocks, I'm gonna keep checking. Im disciplined enough when I can focus on the problem. But I'm not gonna chicken out during a recession. "You only lose money when you sell." I get it. And I feel like my personal business generates enough so that during a recession I'm investing more. Which puts me in a good position to buy at a discount.
Dobre casy
AG
If you're investing for the long haul, it's probably not good to watch daily. It just leads to over-trading on small moves that run up commissions and lower your odds of success on a long-term basis. Just my $0.02.

I would agree that daily monitoring is good for tracking weight loss and expenses though.
ProgN
I can't see the future, I was giving my opinion. I hope for the best for you my friend.
The Debt
I appreciate it, I do. I can see your point how reverse splits are warning signs of a bad investment.

Given that this stock lost 90% of its value, no one can argue that it's not a risky stock. I'm all about buying low, and I dont think this can get any lower.
The Debt
Well my predicament is I plan to put in a few thousand more each month. So something that has a fairly steady growth rate but the occasional dip, I want to predict the dip.

Maybe I'm too bullish. Most of you folks have weathered the recession and are cautious of any dip because you've witnessed the bottom falling out.
aggiehunter3
AG
CAT and BA have made my last couple of weeks.

BA was in a beautiful bull flag this morning. Went long $365 weeklies at $1.02 mid morning and they traded as high as $4 today. I sold half at $3 and letting the other half ride. Closed above July resistance levels, and I don't think 370 is out of the question.
Ranger222
AG
I have two accounts -- a longterm account and a trading account. The LT account I buy stock in strong companies (AMZN, AAPL, some other stocks I like longterm like ATVI and TDOC) and only look at it when I think the time is right to purchase more shares or initiate a new purchase. This is like maybe once every quarter. I honestly couldn't tell you its exact value right now, how its performed this week/month and honestly I don't care to know. In my trading account, I watch it like a hawk multiple times a day and I am putting in orders throughout the day. Most of those stocks/trades/ideas are the ones discussed on this thread.

You should almost definitely have a longterm investment account where you buy strong stocks, set it and forget it. If you want to trade on the side like some of us do here, open a simple Robinhood account with money you are willing to lose and play along, learn your way. Anticipate that account to lose money, especially in the short term. You may even have to put more money in that you're willing to lose (hopefully not, but I've read stories that even the most "successful" traders blew up accounts multiple times when first starting). It has personally taken myself a long time to learn the ins and outs (accelerated no doubt by the wisdom of this thread and the motivation to get better) that only now am I comfortable with my approach that I'm making meaningful, consistent gains. I still have moments where I make a bad trade and blow up a week-month worth of work.

To anyone that reads this thread and wants to jump in, please do not do so with meaningful money. Most of the trades that are made here can be done so with Robinhood and a starting balance of $500 - 1000. There are also websites that let you run paper accounts (fake accounts) to track your progress before you dive in with real money.

In terms of resources or what to read, I honestly have learned the most from just reading/watching traders on twitter. Especially traders that run their own subscription services. They sometimes put out Youtube videos that describe what trades they made today and why. This is a good example. I do not advocate for joining their service as I do not believe they are selling anything special and believe most of their trades can be deduced from twitter (surprisingly similar to football recruiting and services. Not a secret when a player commits these days!). If you follow along you'll hopefully pick up how they're breaking down charts, what they look for and their tendencies. Everyone is different and you can build your own strategy on what you like, what you want to incorporate and what you're not going to pay attention to. That's what makes it fun in my opinion because there is no true right way and you are constantly learning and adapting. It never gets stale.
First Page Last Page
Page 222 of 6412

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.