Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,987,747 Views | 224150 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ProgN
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fightintxag13 said:

Can't believe I'm pretty well ignoring everything today with it being quad-witching day, but it's because my wife and I welcomed our first child into the world this morning! Little girl is healthy as is momma!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ea3lc-eWsAE0QCB?format=jpg&name=900x900
krosch11
AG
For those of you playing aa

Proposition Joe
Can someone give me some insight on the Wash Sale rule?

I own both long-term investments and the I've also been doing some swing trading, often times it ends up being the same stock, but I've been careful in TDA to designate what lots are which when selling.

I own Facebook as a longterm play in one of my IRA accounts.

I've also bought and sold FB previously on my CASH account.

On Friday I bought 60 shares of Facebook on my CASH account at an average of ~$237. I was trying to figure out why it currently shows it as a negative value, and found my cost basis is showing my average price actually at ~$239 due to wash sales adjustments.

Why is it making any kind of adjustments on these holdings? The FB shares I've sold in the past on my CASH account were an overall gain, so I don't see why it would be adjusting these new ones at all.

I'm just trying to stay on top of the accounting aspect of things.
59 South
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I like BABA to watch.
Been pretty choppy through this recovery although has a nice ascending channel. Anything under 205 ish looks good in the next month or so; maybe higher low. It had broken out and was primed to get to 300 pre-covid. It should still get there unless all hell breaks loose again.

I like it for a few month swing from under 210 to 300 or so by the end of the 2020 if macro stays good.

I like it as a pretty safe play with limited downside and pretty good upside.

Thanks, good one for sure that I used to follow closely but had fallen off my radar.
I bleed maroon
AG
PropJoe/mhayden: A couple thoughts:

1. Specific identification of lots probably doesn't apply initially for a wash sale, as the principal purpose of the rule is for the IRS to identify them and get maximum taxation, assuming people will shuffle money around. The stockbroker is probably required to initially take the worst case scenario for you, and the burden of proof is on you or your CPA to fix it.

2. Sometimes brokerage accounts reflect transactions differently on the date of a trade, and reflect it more accurately after the trade settles. This may be one of those situations. If it's not fixed in a couple days, I'd call your brokerage company to get an explanation.

Your mileage may vary...
Proposition Joe
Thanks for the insight. I haven't yet sold the FB positions so you may be right that it may settle differently.
AGSmith
AG
krosch11 said:

For those of you playing aa

I assume this means a fairly decent drop should be expected in pre-market trading tomorrow.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Uh oh.
Monywolf
TSN

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-suspends-some-tyson-chicken-imports-after-hundreds-of-coronavirus-cases-at-arkansas-plant-2020-06-21?mod=mw_latestnews

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
hoping OA weighs in soon. Pretty sure these 0717 calls are toast.
Brewmaster
AG

hoping OA weighs in soon. Pretty sure these 0717 calls are toast.
yep and if the market pulls back soon, just about everything call wise is toast.

Dr. Horrible
Proposition Joe said:

I own both long-term investments and the I've also been doing some swing trading, often times it ends up being the same stock, but I've been careful in TDA to designate what lots are which when selling.

On Friday I bought 60 shares of Facebook on my CASH account at an average of ~$237. I was trying to figure out why it currently shows it as a negative value, and found my cost basis is showing my average price actually at ~$239 due to wash sales adjustments.

Why is it making any kind of adjustments on these holdings? The FB shares I've sold in the past on my CASH account were an overall gain, so I don't see why it would be adjusting these new ones at all.

I learned this last week that it isn't about the overall transactions and if you had a gain, but on each individual transaction. I had a stock that I bought 3 separate times, averaging my cost basis down each time. When I sold, 2 were green, one was red. The red one still counted against the wash sale.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
it's early, but ES futures gapped down almost 1%, now only -0.15%. As much as I want this thing to dump 100 points tomorrow, I think we're likely to resume the 3 AM gap up. We may be green on futures within the hour.
txaggie_08
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Proposition Joe said:

I learned this last week that it isn't about the overall transactions and if you had a gain, but on each individual transaction. I had a stock that I bought 3 separate times, averaging my cost basis down each time. When I sold, 2 were green, one was red. The red one still counted against the wash sale.

This is exactly right, and I got burned by it too. Even though overall you sold at a profit, some of the shares may have been sold at a loss, so when you turned around and bought back in you triggered the wash sale.
topher06
So we dumping TSN calls tomorrow or what?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Might not have anyone to dump them on
topher06
Well that sucks. Oh wel, May be simultaneously happy I'm carrying those 7/17 spy puts. But futures are moving up.
Aston04
AG

Uh oh.
just fyi..(as you may know) this info came out last week.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Why-The-175-Billion-Write-Down-Is-Just-The-Beginning-For-BP.html
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
My theory is the Chinese thing is just a short term headline, but clock is ticking on the options. If I'm interpreting this right, China and international is less than 5% of Tyson's business, but it is stated as a growth area in their MDNA.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/104708849/files/doc_financials/2020/q2/bbafe501-1cba-497d-9513-11ccfbc78114.pdf
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I had not seen. That's a good article. I am not a current BP investor, I probably wouldn't want to be one either.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
And futures are up.
PA24
AG
Rumblings of Inflation movement with current low interest rates is quietly making its rounds. REIT over the last month been Strong while the oil stocks have made the most noise.

Buying
STAG
CHCT

Expect to lose but what the heck
topher06

I had not seen. That's a good article. I am not a current BP investor, I probably wouldn't want to be one either.

BP is by far the worst major in my opinion.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Proposition Joe
txaggie_08 said:

Dr. Horrible said:

Proposition Joe said:

This is exactly right, and I got burned by it too. Even though overall you sold at a profit, some of the shares may have been sold at a loss, so when you turned around and bought back in you triggered the wash sale.

I understand triggering the wash sale rule, but it shouldn't wind up me having to pay taxes on my gains AND adjust the cost of newly bought shares up also... Should be one or the other, no?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
McInnis 03
AG
Studied up on Broken Wing (skip-strike) butterflies this weekend. Holy moly, versatile things those are. I may do away with normal butterflies.
BrokeAssAggie
ONTX up close to 10% in after hours..
Boat Shoes
AG
Is anyone else holding these odd MOMO 7/17 $21.76C? What's up with those strike prices? I look now and they are round numbers again. Are these even still trading?
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Is anyone else holding these odd MOMO 7/17 $21.76C? What's up with those strike prices? I look now and they are round numbers again. Are these even still trading?
I'm still holding that one as well as MOMO 7/10 25C that I picked up at the same time.
McInnis 03
AG
MOMO is set to open just above 20. I have the 7/10 20C's and am waiting for them to go green, hopefully today.
cgh1999
AG
McInnis 03 said:

MOMO is set to open just above 20. I have the 7/10 20C's and am waiting for them to go green, hopefully today.
i bought the 7/24 $18 calls. Hopefully we get an opening pop!
djmeen95
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

ONTX up close to 10% in after hours..

Wondering if this thing is finally gonna make a small run up so keep shares or whether it's just an opportunity to pocket small gains and buy back in at a lower cost point?
McInnis 03
AG
cgh1999 said:

McInnis 03 said:

i bought the 7/24 $18 calls. Hopefully we get an opening pop!
Kinda like that double reverse elbow pop to your ears I gave you about 20 years ago?
McInnis 03
AG
ZM looks like it's about to rocket launch......
First Page Last Page
Page 1792 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.