Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,091,535 Views | 224490 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Spoony Love
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

this could be next week! Walrus is the counter to this guy. Walrus thinks we hold 302 or better and reverse up and fly. If Trigger is right, we dump hard and possibly hit 2700's.
Ranger222
AG
Trying to figure out what I'm going to do....I'm moving next week so won't be concentrating on the market. Have purposely kept all my expirations to no earlier than 7/17....just let it ride or go all cash? Haven't touched anything this week and thats done well.
McInnis 03
AG
Stuck in traffic and had a thought, pay attention Tyson call owners

so what is to stop someone who holds, let's say a 75 call for Tyson, from selling the 70 call on Tyson same-day and forming a vertical credit spread?

what you doing is instead of being bullish on the 75, now you're turning into a bear thinking you don't hit the 70 trying to keep some of that credit , turning a loser into a winner.

Is this line of thinking crazy? I'm not saying Tyson is the proper place for this, but if you're on the wrong side of the position what's to stop you from selling something on the other side to try and turn it into a winner ?

Quite frankly , if you're still bullish you could sell 2 70s and buy a 65 and now you form the butterfly that lowers your strike to profit if you're already on the wrong side of the trade. Am I going to far down the wormhole here?
McInnis 03
AG
Nobody kills a conversation better than you bro
AgsnFly
AG
Thoughts appreciated here.
I am a 25 year pro commodity futures trader who is wanting to transition to more equities in my business. My commodities business is almost fully algorithmic now and I want to eventually apply my IP to equities and raise more capital to manage. Anyways, my personal equities portfolio has a very large count of single issues; around 125 names (including ETFs), with position sizes ranging from $500k to $5k - amzn is king. While I love this diversification (albeit technology overweighted), I am finding it hard to mange/track and execute optimal trades on so many names. Even though my equity portfolio is up double digits year to date, I can't help but that think a more concentrated approach would benefit me.
I realize much of this is individual style but any advice from other pros here about the trade-offs of diversity vs concentration would help (as I don't consider myself a pro in equities). I am particularly concerned about a current bubble in equities and the need to liquidate at some point and I of course spend large sums (based on my current bias) on portfolio protection; but nonetheless wonder if I not managing optimally given the number of names. Kind of think I may do better to concentrate on a dozen names to trade for more wA Alpha. Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.
FishrCoAg
AG
AgsnFly said:

Thoughts appreciated here.
I am a 25 year pro commodity futures trader who is wanting to transition to more equities in my business. My commodities business is almost fully algorithmic now and I want to eventually apply my IP to equities and raise more capital to manage. Anyways, my personal equities portfolio has a very large count of single issues; around 125 names (including ETFs), with position sizes ranging from $500k to $5k - amzn is king. While I love this diversification (albeit technology overweighted), I am finding it hard to mange/track and execute optimal trades on so many names. Even though my equity portfolio is up double digits year to date, I can't help but that think a more concentrated approach would benefit me.
I realize much of this is individual style but any advice from other pros here about the trade-offs of diversity vs concentration would help (as I don't consider myself a pro in equities). I am particularly concerned about a current bubble in equities and the need to liquidate at some point and I of course spend large sums (based on my current bias) on portfolio protection; but nonetheless wonder if I not managing optimally given the number of names. Kind of think I may do better to concentrate on a dozen names to trade for more wA Alpha. Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.

I first read this as a 25 year old... and thought Holy crap, is this M. F. Barnes
AGSmith
AG
I'm a guppy in here just looking for thoughts on GNUS
Madmarttigan
AG
GNUS kind of already had its run and didn't manage to stay up despite all the news. I would think it's a high risk play prior to earnings which I think are on the 30th.
jj9000
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Some of the funniest posts in this thread are the McInnis to McInnis 1 on 1 discussions.
IrishTxAggie
AG
jj9000 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Some of the funniest posts in this thread are the McInnis to McInnis 1 on 1 discussions.

Best part about having multiple personalities is that you always have someone to talk to
Ragoo
AG
jj9000 said:

McInnis 03 said:

he should have a McInnis 01, 02, 04 Handle so we can keep up with the inner conversation better.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
this has got to be the week pfe bounces. Right? Especially because guess who sold his mvis november $2 calls thurs to reload (rolleyes)
ProgN
I wish AMD would breakout of the damn box already.
McInnis 03
AG
Good morning everyone. Good morning McInnis!
leoj
AG
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
McInnis 03 said:

so what is to stop someone who holds, let's say a 75 call for Tyson, from selling the 70 call on Tyson same-day and forming a vertical credit spread?

what you doing is instead of being bullish on the 75, now you're turning into a bear thinking you don't hit the 70 trying to keep some of that credit , turning a loser into a winner.

Is this line of thinking crazy? I'm not saying Tyson is the proper place for this, but if you're on the wrong side of the position what's to stop you from selling something on the other side to try and turn it into a winner ?

Quite frankly , if you're still bullish you could sell 2 70s and buy a 65 and now you form the butterfly that lowers your strike to profit if you're already on the wrong side of the trade. Am I going to far down the wormhole here?

You could sell the weeklies against the 7/17 call to try to take premium. I got the impression OA really believes in this one. What gives me trouble is how far OTM we are on TSN right now.
McInnis 03
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

McInnis 03 said:

You could sell the weeklies against the 7/17 call to try to take premium. I got the impression OA really believes in this one. What gives me trouble is how far OTM we are on TSN right now.

The distance is my concern as well
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Cartographer
I got in those TSN calls at .35. When it went to .75 sold half.

Trying to learn the ways.
Ragoo
AG
McInnis 03 said:

suppose you own 10 call contracts at .35 or even .50 that is $500 risk. You sell the $70 strike for .85 and you have pocketed the difference, but instead of risking just $500 you are now risking $5,000. You are turning a bad trade into an even worse trade from a risk perspective.

I would sell the other side of the call if you want to scalp some premium back or just exit the trade altogether.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
There is still a lot of time on TSN. I'll be nervous on 7/2 if we aren't moving.
Ragoo
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

There is still a lot of time on TSN. I'll be nervous on 7/2 if we aren't moving.
kind of my point. If you sell the other side of your $75 call you can take some risk off while still having a bull option. Limited upside but you have essentially scooped your 50% stop so can hold all the way to expiration.
McInnis 03
AG
Ragoo said:

McInnis 03 said:

suppose you own 10 call contracts at .35 or even .50 that is $500 risk. You sell the $70 strike for .85 and you have pocketed the difference, but instead of risking just $500 you are now risking $5,000. You are turning a bad trade into an even worse trade from a risk perspective.

I would sell the other side of the call if you want to scalp some premium back or just exit the trade altogether.

This is why I type! Good response, thank you!
McInnis 03
AG
Ragoo said:

McInnis 03 said:

But now I need to do the math on selling the 72.5c and the 62.5p and buying the 60p...
McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Ragoo said:

McInnis 03 said:

But now I need to do the math on selling the 72.5c and the 62.5p and buying the 60p...

that doesn't work either....
Ragoo
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Ragoo said:

McInnis 03 said:

nm
59 South
AG
59 South said:

Well guys, y'all have at it. I'm going to drink beer.

Totally the right decision.

On deck for next week+.... getting ready to take a lot of profits from JD. Eyeing AMD. It's gonna go at some point. Need to study it more. I like swing trade shares vs options. It could dilly dally for awhile.

Anybody else have any medium term swing tickers to look at? Still in SQ as well.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I like BABA to watch.
ProgN
59 South said:

59 South said:

On deck for next week+.... getting ready to take a lot of profits from JD. Eyeing AMD. It's gonna go at some point. Need to study it more. I like swing trade shares vs options. It could dilly dally for awhile.

Anybody else have any medium term swing tickers to look at? Still in SQ as well.

Take a look at CVNA and tell me what you think. A good friend, a and sophisticated investor, recommended it to me a few weeks ago and I've been watching it. I wish I would've bought it then. The chart looks great and it's great for swing trades.

ETA: wrong emoji
leoj
AG
That move up to 110 and then basing around there would have been a nice entry .
aggiedaniel06
AG
Not a good idea.

What I really admired about the place I worked at was how much emphasis we put on behavioral finance. They knew that even with all the risk management mechanisms we had in place, traders would find a way to incur massive losses.

Loss aversion bias is one of the main reasons retail traders aren't profitable in the long run. They seem to be willing to take on more risk to breakeven. (Case in point, scenario you mentioned). And it seems like the more loss averse you are as a person, the more risk you are willing to take to mitigate it.

When buying options, if my positions go against me (and whatever you define "against" as), I'll do one of the below:
1. Sell at Loss
2. Roll down or roll out, while reducing number of contracts to keep capital risk the same.
59 South
AG
Prognightmare said:

59 South said:

59 South said:

Take a look at CVNA and tell me what you think. A good friend, a and sophisticated investor, recommended it to me a few weeks ago and I've been watching it. I wish I would've bought it then. The chart looks great and it's great for swing trades.

ETA: wrong emoji

Nice one Prog. Had never heard of it and know nothing about the company. When I get a new ticker suggestion like this, I like to go in completely unbiased and see what the technicals say. I'll read up on the fundamentals soon.

• Top of short/medium term rising wedge and a bit extended above the 8 & 21 daily EMAs
  • Room to 130+ in short term, even 140 in a breakout/melt up type scenario (next couple of weeks)
  • On the hourly, it has a nice 123-127 channel from Friday. Whichever way that channel breaks early next week should tell us whether it melts up more or goes back down on a wave to test 8/21 daily EMAs.
  • Due a little pullback to test 21 EMA on trend in the next week or two. <120 down to around 115 looks like a decent entry point in a pull back case.
  • A flash down around 105-110 would most likely be a screaming buy.
  • Massive bullish engulfing on the weekly
  • Medium term (6-12 months) potential to 250 but needs to cool off a bit.
Overall, strong bullish medium to long term chart. I'll keep it on watch and see where it goes. Thanks!
McInnis 03
AG
Thanks! Seems my plays always move against me immediately and rarely recover. Perhaps my timelines are faulty.
McInnis 03
AG
This is believing in your DD. Marc shorted WDI immensely in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Thursday it dropped to 30s and he did it again

OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
First Page Last Page
Page 1791 of 6415

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.