Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,995,315 Views | 224169 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Bob Knights Paper Hands
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tracking the 21 EMA or that chart graphic? That graphic or something just like it has been around for at least 14 years.
Carlo4
AG

Probably nothing...
McInnis 03
AG
I do appreciate good schtick

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
texagbeliever
Carlo4 said:

Probably nothing...

I think the graphic is misleading. The crash was based on 500k + American deaths and overwhelmed hospitals. That never happened.
leoj
AG
Yeah, but what is about to happen is that unemployment benefits and stimulus check funds are going to run out, as are mortgage forbearance periods.
texagbeliever
I agree a short term contraction is possible, and I could be misinterpreting the chart takeaway, but I do not see a big free fall happening again soon.
Fitch
AG
Just my uneducated opinion but the market today feels a hell of a lot more like a bubble with jack sheet fundamentals than it did at the end of February.
gig em 02
Fitch said:

Just my uneducated opinion but the market today feels a hell of a lot more like a bubble with jack sheet fundamentals than it did at the end of February.

25% unemployment not counting tens of thousands of "furloughed" and laid off workers, executives compensation cut by 50%, thousands of high paying white collar jobs cut by 15-20%, only one more month of the Super sized unemployment checks, $6T distributed to the wealthiest Americans that gambled and should have lost which will create an even bigger gap between the upper class and middle class.......BULLISH!!!!
Jet Black
I'll be mildly surprised if they don't extend the super sized unemployment benefit.
topher06
texagbeliever said:

Carlo4 said:

Probably nothing...

I think the graphic is misleading. The crash was based on 500k + American deaths and overwhelmed hospitals. That never happened.

Shh. 70% of people on this site are currently cheering for a crash
Aggies1322
AG
topher06 said:

texagbeliever said:

Carlo4 said:

Probably nothing...

Shh. 70% of people on this site are currently cheering for a crash

Its healthy for a market to not exist in a bubble.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Fitch said:

Agreed. And imo this week will bring pain.
Ragoo
AG
I think it is clear to see that the rally has lost steam. A pullback now seems inevitable. I am not taking my long term investments out but I am not going to be caught going long with my "play" money.
oldarmy1
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Fitch said:

Agreed. And imo this week will bring pain.

You mean fortunes. Sitting on 3 sets of $300 puts. Tomorrow expiration, 17th and July 17.

Wasn't taking any chances double testing $300.
McKinney Ag69
AG
What's the move tomorrow morning for you day trading degens?
Fitch
AG
Pain & profit.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Wait until an hour before open and see what setups there are. Day traders typically don't have "a plan" until the day of. They trade what's in front of them.
moses1084ever
AG
Fundamentals were already starting to soften before COVID. The fundamentals have further soured with everyone laid off and demand destroyed. Treasury prices have been in an uptrend since October '19.

@aggiedaniel - if you don't mind me asking, what platform are you using for your algo? Custom stuff with python? or something else?
topher06
The night is long, open tomorrow down less than 1% hopefully
gougler08
AG
297 staying strong tonight, let's see what the 3am crew has in store for us
topher06
We are already at 299?
Brewmaster
AG
Challenger 17 said:

What's the move tomorrow morning for you day trading degens?
not to chase and what Irish said. If we retest to 280's or 270's there will be some nice $ to be made in puts.

Great chart on the identical candlesticks! Highly doubt we dip that low again, but we'll see.
Brewmaster
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

It's been in the works for a while. Had to hire a new developer. Previous fellow had been straggling for a while.
You strike me as one of the smartest traders here... is this your occupation? (partly asking for others). You talk, I will listen!
McKinney Ag69
AG
BREwmaster said:

aggiedaniel06 said:

It's been in the works for a while. Had to hire a new developer. Previous fellow had been straggling for a while.
You strike me as one of the smartest traders here... is this your occupation? (partly asking for others). You talk, I will listen!
I wish we had a thread where the geniuses among us posted some of their trades.
topher06
Back over 300 on SPY
Brewmaster
AG
aggiedaniel06
AG
Python - Modeling, Strategy building & back testing with Pandas. And execution with IB.

If you are going at it by yourself, Quantopian is also something that will work for backtesting and can execute through Robinhood.
claym711
AG
Uh oh, thread has another systematic trader. Be prepared to be known as a perma-bear.
aggiedaniel06
AG
If I posted my every trade, you wouldn't think I was a genius at all.

Being consistently successful at trading doesn't take complex strategies. It's about handling your psyche.
1. Know your risk before you enter the trade.
2. Have a clear plan for exit.
3. Follow that plan with utmost discipline.
4. Move on

"Indecision is the inkling of fear." - Napoleon Hill

We panic in a trade because we don't have a clear plan and don't truly understand the risk. Because if we did, there is no fear, just methodical action.
moses1084ever
AG
Quote:

Python - Modeling, Strategy building & back testing with Pandas. And execution with IB.

If you are going at it by yourself, Quantopian is also something that will work for backtesting and can execute through Robinhood.

Awesome. I've looked into Quantopian but have not invested much effort yet. What kind of time frames are you looking at?

Back in 2011-2013, I spent a lot of time developing a trend following system based on EOD data, using a piece of software called Trading Blox. I was back testing on data sets that went back a few decades. The software is nice as it allows you to backtest on a portfolio level. I had reasonable results across futures markets, but the initial capital requirement for the system to work was over a million bucks so I never moved forward with it.

Good luck with your system.
Proposition Joe
Are these back-tested algos not already used so frequently by the heavy firms that their value is a coin-flip?

I come from the sports gambling arena where anything back-tested with significant large sample success was already baked into the spread. Trying to see why the stock market wouldn't be 1000x as efficient in capturing that value.
topher06
Proposition Joe said:

Are these back-tested algos not already used so frequently by the heavy firms that their value is a coin-flip?

I come from the sports gambling arena where anything back-tested with significant large sample success was already baked into the spread. Trying to see why the stock market wouldn't be 1000x as efficient in capturing that value.

I, for one, am glad Marlo got you
moses1084ever
AG
Entry and exit signals are just one piece of the system. There's a lot of other stuff that goes into it... risk management, money management, making sure your portfolio isn't overly correlated, etc.

It's well known that returns on systematic strategies degrade over time. In Schwager's Market Wizard series of books, the systematic guys talk about the importance of ongoing research and having a pipeline of new ideas to implement.
claym711
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Same could be said for every trading strategy you see in this thread from long only dip buying to Elliot wave to fib retracements ('model T', or mean reversions), etc etc.

An algo driven systematic strategy just introduces objectivity, speed, better execution, and potentially higher frequency.
Proposition Joe
claym711 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Same could be said for every trading strategy you see in this thread from long only dip buying to Elliot wave to fib retracements ('model T', or mean reversions), etc etc.

An algo driven systematic strategy just introduces objectivity, speed, better execution, and potentially higher frequency.

Essentially the backtraced algo likely isn't going to uncover anything that is a definite money-maker going forward, or really anything that is even a likely money maker as the trend would lose value over time as other techs notice it... it will simply get you in and out of positions fast enough that you are maximizing your plan's potential (whether good or bad)?
First Page Last Page
Page 1754 of 6405

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.