Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Lending Club or Prosper?

11,710 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by themissinglink
Ag92NGranbury
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
getting really tired of getting no returns on cash in bank...

anyone on the board use either Lending Club or Prosper for peer to peer lending for increased %'s?

good or bad experiences?
jagged
AG
Interesting and compelling concept, but as far as I know in Texas you can't invest in these due to state regulations. You can invest only by trade existing loans I believe which didn't seem like a great proposition.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Unsupported. Thank you for your interest in Prosper. Due to state restrictions, Prosper is currently unavailable in TX . You'll be the first to know if this changes.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I want to get in on this but as stated above, not allowed in Texas
Ag92NGranbury
AG
well that stinks... I wonder if it is something that texas is evaluating... I'm sure that the bank lobby is all over this
Roger That
AG
Some banks are investing in these types of companies
sawemoffshort07
AG
Anyone know about the "blue sky" exemption with the IPO of Lending Club?
Ag92NGranbury
AG
http://www.lendacademy.com/why-some-states-dont-allow-p2p-lending-investments/
jschroeder
Did it back when it was legal in TX.

The default rate on anything with an interest rate over 5% was insane.
sts7049
AG
you can invest with lending club in tx. i do it right now. the difference is that when you want to buy/sell a note it takes you to an outside website to do the transaction (folio investing). but you still buy/sell notes the same way as you would expect, earn interest, etc.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Just got an email from Lending Club saying they are now live in Texas...
ac04
just opened an account
agmatt06
AG
I got the email from Lending Club too..

So what does that mean for somebody who hasn't done much research into this?
sts7049
AG
from what i can tell, it just means that we don't get redirected to some third party site and buy notes off of their site now. we can access lending club's site and now bid in on the loans before they get dispersed out.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
the funny thing is... I called the state of texas last week about it... talked to some director in the securities division.. she told me that there should be no reason why they can't do things in texas now since they are a public company... she told me to call lending club... instead I just went back the next day and it let me open an account...

so... moved $$ in last week... should be available Thursday... going with 5g to test drive it

the auto investing is a bit confusing, since I'm trying to limit what loans that I'm targeting... looking for loans <20k... saw on a forum that anything over 20k has a much higher default rate

we'll see how this goes! good luck everyone!

(ps - my guess is that the bank lobby was somehow blocking it)
sawemoffshort07
AG
So target under 20%, probably in the top half of the "credit scores"? I guess there is always the chance they will pay it off early?
OilAggie
AG
What kind of interest rates are people making on this?

I hadn't heard of lending club until i saw this thread.
Post removed:
by user
Ag92NGranbury
AG
so converting all my 401k's over to this investment wasn't a good idea?
(removed:110205)
I put a little into my Lending Club account this week and bought some positions (they were accepted). I had heard that banks had pushed people out so that LC and Prosper were increasingly not true "peer to peer" platforms. I'll play with it a few months to see how it goes. I've created a blend of notes to get a 10%+ return. We'll have to see what the default rate is.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Please post results/experiences.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
will do...

I did find this page interesting... (if you are a numbers person)

https://www.lendingclub.com/info/demand-and-credit-profile.action

ac04
received my first interest payment today. i am now $0.31 richer

i set up filters that are similar to the ones this guy is using, but with a bit more risk tolerance. i was pretty aggressive about manually investing all $5k up front (checking for new loans that fit my filters at 8:00 AM, 12:00 PM, and 4:00 PM), once i had all $5k invested i set up automated investing with my modified "high income" filter and a target allocation of 25% each of D, E, F, and G loans.

so far the biggest hassle is notes that don't issue for whatever reason. a surprising amount of notes i initially invested in didn't issue. i had hoped to let automated investing do its thing, but my filters are pretty selective so it can take a while to fill orders. if i get impatient or bored i will go browse loans and just pick some to invest in using any of the four filters.

i'm currently at 148 notes "issued & current" with another 52 not yet issued. current allocation is:

20.50% C
29.99% D
33.50% E
13.50% F
2.50% G

most of that C is due to using the "simple" filter up front, and then my own impatience and irritation at the notes that didn't issue. according to lending club my historical returns range is 7.36% - 11.40%. my allocation should shift more towards F/G as i allow automated investing to take over (it won't invest in a note if you're over your target allocation in that category).

so far it has been an interesting time waste that will perhaps generate decent returns.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
good deal... when I get a bit of time, i'll put my allocations up...

so far, it is pretty interesting deal....

I almost want to go out and borrow some money to see the other side of the process.... on second thought... nah!

but for people loaded up on cc debt, you would think that this is a good way to manage that debt at lower interest... without the traditional bank
Post removed:
by user
Ag92NGranbury
AG
scrolled through a few of the loan notes...

saw a pastor in Virginia with a verified annual income of $622k! will be interesting to see if he pays off this <30k loan or if he takes his own year of jubilee!
jay040
Bump for an update?
wessimo
AG
Updates? Thinking of trying this out...
agregg07
AG
Lately I have been wanting to find ways to produce passive income. I came across peer to peer lending and thought it might be worthwhile and figured it couldn't be any riskier than the stock market. So, I signed up for Lending Club this morning, but my funds won't be available to invest for another week. Also, I will be starting out investing small to see how things go. If I like the returns, I will invest more.
ac04
adjusted account value is up to $5,122.50 as of this morning. it is pretty much on autopilot at this point, automated investing is investing in F or G rated notes whenever my available cash gets over $25. this is the first time I've looked at it in probably 3-4 weeks.

my "adjusted net annualized return" is 11.37%. i have invested in 223 notes and received $590.99 in payments, $199.45 of that was interest. here is the breakdown of the status of the notes:

not yet issued: 3 (this is where most of the missing $77 is between interest received and adjusted account value)
issued & current: 208
fully paid: 8
late 16-30 days: 0
late 31 - 120 days: 4

those very late notes will move to default and eventually charged off after 120 and 150 days respectively. will be interesting to see what that does to my adjusted return.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
I'm at $5,100.15

interest of $123.46

adjust for past due (18.04)

223 notes, 4 not issued, 216 issued and current, 2 fully paid, 1 late 31-120 days, no default, no charged off (yet)

my adjusted net annualized return is 7.98%
Ag92NGranbury
AG
they are growing like crazy.... (not sure how good or bad that is...)

but in q1 of 2013.... $1.5b in loans
q1 of 2014.... $4b in loans
q1 of 2015.... $9.2b in loans
q3 of 2015... $13.4b in loans

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13363660/1/paypal-lending-club-use-tech-to-knock-down-brick-and-mortar-banks.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO
GarlandAg2012
AG
Interested to hear any other updates...did those past due notes end up charged off? How did it affect your annualized return?
Ag92NGranbury
AG
at $5,135.40

interest of $160.31

adjust for past due (18.04)

231 notes, 1 not issued, 225 issued and current, 4 fully paid, 1 late 31-120 days, no default, no charged off (yet)

my adjusted net annualized return is 8.31%
ac04
$5,187.39

interest $286.96

adjustment for past due ($94.11)

232 notes, 4 not issued, 211 issued and current, 1 in grace, 11 fully paid, 1 late 16-30, 4 late 31-120, no default or charged off

adjusted net annualized return 12.19%
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.