Business & Investing
Sponsored by

MTN - Vail Ski Resorts

3,760 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Out in Left Field
BT1395
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like a value buy for a potential long-term hold given current pricing. I haven't followed this one at all (outside of loving to ski!), but it popped onto my radar given some stock screeners I normally run. Anyone with more insight into this have an informed opinion?
Jeff99
What interests you about this stock? Recent history of missing earnings. Looks expensively priced. Very subject to the whims of weather. I would want a much higher dividend for what's essentially a real estate stock. What do you see as the value here?
Agnzona
I saw this one recommended by something I was reading or watching in the last two months. I just don't recall where.
BT1395
AG
quote:
What do you see as the value here?

Certainly not the most exciting stock in the world, I'll give you that, but I think they're doing a great job building up quite a collection of resort properties that they are then using to funnel people into a loyalty program of sorts. Their Bal Sht is fairly strong and their clientele aren't excessively impacted by any downward swings in the economy.

Nothing Earth-shattering like some projected mergers or new developments or anything like that, just looking at it from a valuation perspective and wondering if now is a good time to buy low and ride it up into the high 70s or low 80s. Plus, 2.5% yield isn't exactly terrible while I hold.
BT1395
AG
Great earnings report that seems to indicate they are delivering on their strategy.

Up 15% so far as compared to 4% for the S&P during the same time frame. Looking to exit if it creeps up into the 80s.
FrontPorchAg
Buyer beware. I work in the industry so have a fair bit of knowledge. The financials the last six months have more to do with luck that manangement. A perfect storm of pot legalization in Colorado and Co's best winter on record has lead to record setting numbers at all of the Colotado resorts. A friend in middle management has said they had an unexpectedly high amount of pot tourism this season. This combined with their lease of the Canyons lead to the great numbers.
Don't expect anything to come of th Park City acquisition anytime soon. This one is likely to be tied up in court and even if they acquire the lease they wont own or nessicarily have access to all the land as some of it is privately owned. There are still a lot of things to hash out.
Long term problem with their business model is their success is tied to weather which is unpredictable. Mtn in particular has so many resorts in so many region even if one region is having a good season someone else is sure to be having a bad season. They have great market share but I think you can find better places to invest money.
FrontPorchAg
BT - remeber that their Utah operation are expected to run at a loss in the summer. They don't own any of the lodging or restaurants in PC which are what make money in the summer. What for a stong El NiƱo cycle this up coming winter which typically means lower snow fall for Colorado (though an uptick for California). Washington's legalization goes through next year. How will that effect Colorado's pot tourism?
BT1395
AG
quote:
Mtn in particular has so many resorts in so many region even if one region is having a good season someone else is sure to be having a bad season

Thanks for the thoughts and insight. I agree with most of what you said, but see the part quoted above as a strength rather than a weakness. The diversity they are deliberately building in their portfolio is intended to offset the dramatic swings in their financials that result from weather.

I still think they're the best of breed, but sold out just to take some profits and watch what happens. Can't complain about a quick 15%!

Thanks again for the thoughts.
FrontPorchAg
With most business I would agree. Except Heavenly had green grass growing this past winter at 7,200ft. That 15% they posted was inspite of the blood bath they took in S. Lake.
BT1395
AG
quote:
That 15% they posted was inspite of the blood bath they took in S. Lake.

The 15% I referenced above was my actual return on the stock. Not sure what you're referencing with this quote...
BT1395
AG
BofA Analyst just raised his price target to $92 on this one. Currently sitting at $76 - which is where I sold it a few weeks ago. Perhaps there's more room to run?
BT1395
AG
quote:
Don't expect anything to come of th Park City acquisition anytime soon. This one is likely to be tied up in court and even if they acquire the lease they wont own or nessicarily have access to all the land as some of it is privately owned.
Stock popped 10% today on news that they acquired the Park City property. Looks like I sold too soon, but I'm not looking to get back in either...
Waterski02
AG
As a MTN employee who was in PC last week I didn't expect this quick of a settlement. That said, pot tourism does not drive our bottom line.
Like it or not, we have a premier product with premier pricing. One of few in any market that leads on price and volume, the PC takeover was inevitable.

Right now we are the one to hate in the ski industry with our SEC style dominance of top resorts.
Should of bought more shares @ 56 a year and a half ago.
BT1395
AG
I hate looking in the rearview mirror too much, but this one hurts. Stock ran up 140% since the OP while the S&P delivered 20% during the same timeframe (excluding dividends in both cases). You're never "wrong" for taking profits like I did at the time, but I sure as heck missed a phenomenal run by selling out completely instead of using different strategies to lock in profits.

Company looks as strong as ever and poised for yet more growth. Ugh...
Phat32
AG
I asked myself if I should buy shares or lift tickets in 2010. Oops.
John Maplethorpe
AG
rasher said:

Don't worry. That (not)invested ski trip money would only be worth $30K today.
Phat32
AG
John Maplethorpe said:

rasher said:

Don't worry. That (not)invested ski trip money would only be worth $30K today.

Just don't tell her.
2wealfth Man
AG
I have given up skiing at MTN resorts. Too many people on too little terrain. Place like Breck and Keystone can be absolutely unskiable at peak times.
Prosper92Ag
AG
Probably my biggest investment regret. Been following the stock since 2001 after we moved my sis-in-law to Vail. I'm not a big single company stock investor, so I never could make myself pull the trigger. Came really close when it hit a low around $10-$11 in early 2000's. Never would have guessed a +1500% return in 15 years. Probably why I'm not retired yet!!
ChoppinDs40
AG
Ski season is looking pretty... dope, this year. Everywhere.
FrontPorchAg
The snow is welcome everywhere but my driveway. It blew in five feet deep this week and we are supposed to get another 2-3 on Wednesday
FrontPorchAg
Wow, thanks for the bump. I was wrong about Vail. It will be interesting to see how it fairs with the Whistler acquisition.
RangerRick9211
AG
We burned our 5 days of Epic at Whistler last week.
FrontPorchAg
RangerRick9211 said:

We burned our 5 days of Epic at Whistler last week.
I love Whistler. I skied the Spearhead traverse two years ago from Blackcomb to Whistler over the course of three days. It was hands down the best ski tour of my life.
Out in Left Field
AG
Vail is now buying Crested Butte
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/vail-resorts-enters-agreement-to-acquire-crested-butte-3-other-us-ski-resorts

Damn I should have bought in when they announced Park City.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.