Help Sending Money Overseas. Who to Use?

3,364 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by comrade2011
DTX_12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to send some money to a family member who is overseas. I have never done this before and don't know how I should do it/ who I should use. I would appreciate any and all advice.
AgInSingapore
AG
You should be able to transfer from your bank to their bank with a small transaction fee associated. This works even if they have an overseas bank and you send from a US bank in my experience, as long as you have the details correct.

Now if they need cash and can't access their account for whatever reason (i.e. in a location with no ATM's), you may want to look at wiring via a Western Union type program. I have never done this so I can't give any info on how to proceed, sorry.
SwissAgg
AG
quote:
You should be able to transfer from your bank to their bank with a small transaction fee associated. This works even if they have an overseas bank and you send from a US bank in my experience, as long as you have the details correct.

Now if they need cash and can't access their account for whatever reason (i.e. in a location with no ATM's), you may want to look at wiring via a Western Union type program. I have never done this so I can't give any info on how to proceed, sorry.
I went to Chase bank one time where I have an account, and I wanted to Transfer Money
to my Swiss bank account. They looked at me like I was crazy, high, or both.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Where is the person you need to send cash to?
FightingAggie
AG
Living in Asia and I've had money Western Union-ed here. I think it was a 10 or 20 dollar fee to get several hundred bucks and I was able to pick it up only a few hours after it was sent.
comrade2011
AG
This thread might not be relevant for you anymore, but I lived in England and still have a bank account there. I use transferwise when sending money between that account and my account here in the states. I've never had any problems, and I think they always try to give you the best rate and charge the least amount. I know other Americans who use this, and they also prefer this method.

https://transferwise.com/us/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.