Ogden UT

6,627 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by WestGalvestonAggie
RockOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody in or know someone in Ogden? Looking for a room/studio/basement to rent until finding a home to buy.

Thanks!
ryanhnc10
AG
Welcome to the area! I moved to Lehi about 1.5 years ago. Can't help on the room but feel free to connect since you're in the general area
RockOn
Will do!
MidnightYell2003
AG
I'm waaaay late to the party, but we're up in Logan! What kind of job did you get in Ogden? IRS? Hill AFB? I do not check TexAgs enough but email me if you have questions on the area: my username at gmail.
MidnightYell2003
AG
[wow, double posts still happen?!?]
AgsWin2011
AG
I've seriously been considering moving to Utah with the family. The Ogden/Syracuse areas have really caught my attention. Haven't really looked for jobs yet, but if we decide we want to take the leap of faith, we may look into moving next summer.

Can anyone provide input on what they like/don't like? I've lived in Texas my whole life and have no ties whatsoever to Utah. We aren't Morman, just looking for a great place to live and enjoy the outdoors and raise the kids.
ryanhnc10
AG
Heismenberg said:

I've seriously been considering moving to Utah with the family. The Ogden/Syracuse areas have really caught my attention. Haven't really looked for jobs yet, but if we decide we want to take the leap of faith, we may look into moving next summer.

Can anyone provide input on what they like/don't like? I've lived in Texas my whole life and have no ties whatsoever to Utah. We aren't Morman, just looking for a great place to live and enjoy the outdoors and raise the kids.

I was the same as you. Lived in Texas my whole life, not Mormon, and no connections to anyone here.

My wife and I really enjoy the weather. Being able to hike on a moments notice after work or on weekends and easier access to national parks were big selling points for us. I live in about the most Mormon area there is and while the atmosphere can be kind of clique-ish if you're not part of the church, it really isn't a big deal for us. The biggest downsides are the lack of good Tex-mex, unique restaurants, and bars outside of the downtown area. Most of the stuff around us is catered to large families so there's a lot of fast food and fast casual.

As far as jobs go, I transferred with my company so can't really comment, although I think the market should be fine once the COVID stuff subsides.
RockOn
Ogden job market might not be the best. I'm semi-retired and work remotely so I didn't really look in to the local job market. I know there a lot of jobs surrounding HIll Air Force Base (think tech, IT, software, etc). All the major corporations seem to be in South SLC.

Pros to Utah: hiking, trail running, mountain biking, skiing in the winter. The access to the trailheads are amazing, literally right on the edge of town. Moab is 4 hours away, Uinta Mtns are closer, Tetons.. Jackson Hole, Las Vegas... all are just weekend trips around here.

Pro for SLC - mask usage is pretty well adopted here (mandated in the city). Way safer than other parts of the state that aren't under their own mandate.

Pro for Ogden - pretty cheap real estate

Cons:
* the restaurant food is pretty terrible. But if you have your own bbq, salsa, and texmex recipes you should be able to find all the ingredients in the grocery store. SLC has a mexican market similar to a Supermercado Monterrey/Michoacana from back in TX. Slackwater in Ogden is pretty good though!

* Bottled wine and canned ciders are only sold at the state-owned liquor stores. Not really a big deal, but with Covid the liqour store lines get kinda long since they're controlling # of people inside the stores.

* Fires are a real hazard. We went 2 months without rain recently. There was an earthquake in March too.

The mormon thing is whatever. Doesn't bother me since my social circle is the outdoor scene, most of which aren't mormon and the ones that are dont care. Its really no different than not being Baptist in East Texas.
Woods Ag
AG
Just moved to Utah at the end of June. Closing on a house in Lehigh at the end of this month.

I echo the same sentiments. We love hiking and being outdoors and everything is right here.
UTExan
For all of you Mexican food lovers, Red Iguana in SLC (two locations on the west side) is better IMHO than Tex-Mex. It is Oaxacan-inspired cuisine which means the mole sauces have chocolate, cinnamon and fruits used to make them on site. Traditional style sauces are of course available if you wish. I grew up on Tex-Mex and really missed it when I first moved to SLC, but not since I discovered Red Iguana.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
RockOn
I just clipped a coupon for a free entree at Blue Iguana. I understand they're related?
agdaddy04
AG
Thanks for mentioning that. I'll make sure to check it out next time I'm over there from Denver for work.
UTExan
agdaddy04 said:

Thanks for mentioning that. I'll make sure to check it out next time I'm over there from Denver for work.

And if you like great authentic Middle Eastern food, Mazza has two locations: SLC and Sandy.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
agdaddy04
AG
Thanks.

Something else I'd never had since visiting SLC was curry pizza. Seems like it's a pretty big thing there.
RockOn
Made it out to Antelope Island today... bugs weren't all that bad. Really neat place.

Another indian food place that I've liked is Bombay House on Parley's/Foothill.
ryanhnc10
AG
Red Iguana is weak and I'm surprised someone from Texas would say it is anywhere close to Tex-Amex good. They put a **** ton of cinnamon in everything - weird taste.

Best I've found in SLC is Tres Hombres
UTExan
ryanhnc10 said:

Red Iguana is weak and I'm surprised someone from Texas would say it is anywhere close to Tex-Amex good. They put a **** ton of cinnamon in everything - weird taste.

Best I've found in SLC is Tres Hombres

It's Oaxacan. I appreciate regional. Tres Hombres is predictable but solid. Oaxaca is a more tropical region.
AliasMan02
AG
Watching this thread. Just today did a one day round trip to look at some houses in the area. We were under contract for one but ended up letting it go after I saw it in person. So back to square one.

I'll work in Ogden and the real estate is crazy. Low inventory and high prices. Starting to look a little further out to up the commute with the intent of working from home a couple of days a week.

Anyway, seems like a pretty cool place just having spent a day there. Back for a whole week at the end of the month.
COSCAG67
AG
I am also looking at SLC for all the same reasons listed above. I've heard the mormon thing is not that bad, but i have a coworker who is in slc and is leaving because of the judgmental atmosphere. He says that a non mormon (LDS to him) living in SLC is like a muslim living in the vatican. Says you can find a way to make it work but you'll be razzed and your kids will likely be ostracized. My biggest concern is how the kids are treated. We are also looking at den but like slc more for several reasons.

texas_ute
AG
COSCAG67 said:

I am also looking at SLC for all the same reasons listed above. I've heard the mormon thing is not that bad, but i have a coworker who is in slc and is leaving because of the judgmental atmosphere. He says that a non mormon (LDS to him) living in SLC is like a muslim living in the vatican. Says you can find a way to make it work but you'll be razzed and your kids will likely be ostracized. My biggest concern is how the kids are treated. We are also looking at den but like slc more for several reasons.

Your friend must be living in the wrong area.

Salt Lake City proper is roughly 65% NON-Mormon, 35% Mormon.

So as a non-Mormon in SLC, you not only don't feel ostracized but you are part of majority.

In the suburbs in other parts of the valley (outside SLC proper) there will be a higher % of Mormons than in the city itself. It's all about where you live.

My workplace is predominately non-Mormon, but we do have a mix of all religious backgrounds and we all get along and also get together outside of work.

I have lived here in SLC for ~ 20 years.
COSCAG67
AG
Yeah I'm not that concerned, but his comments did make me pause a bit.

Changing directions. How would you compare the trees to those found in the mountain towns near Denver? I've watched a few videos and the mountains seem more bare and there doesn't appear to be a large amount of tree cover. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong areas, so I'd love to get the opinion of someone that lives there.
RockOn
Utah is a desert... so the trees are more like shrubs.

The lower elevations of the Uintas have some beautiful trees though. I camped among them this summer at Henry's Fork trailhead before running the 25 mile roundtrip up King's Peak.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/kings-peak-utah-highpoint-trail

But around SLC/Ogden... you won't be impressed by the trees. Here's my favorite tree in Utah... its on the Church Fork trail to Grandeur Peak, about a half mile from the summit.
Out in Left Field
AG
I may also be moving to Ogden soon. Looks like there is still low inventory and high prices on the housing front.

But I'll be looking forward to hiking and skiing adventures.
WestTxWood88
AG
Just moved to South Jordan, UT this week. Loving it so far. No complaints whatsoever
ryanhnc10
AG
Welcome! Glad you are enjoying it
WestTxWood88
AG
Is anyone here involved with the Utah A&M club? Looking forward to watching some football games with some ags this year
Out in Left Field
AG
It's ballsing hot here
UTExan
Out in Left Field said:

It's ballsing hot here

But it's a dry heat comparable to west Texas.
7yrplan
AG
UTExan said:

Out in Left Field said:

It's ballsing hot here

But it's a dry heat comparable to west Texas.

It is. I sometimes forget this place is a desert. It's easy enough to spend the weekend in the mountains to try and escape. We frequently hit up park city over a weekend. Always feels like a vacation even though it's only half an hour away. That's what I love about Utah. You are never more than a couple hours from a complete change in scenery.
WestGalvestonAggie
Looking seriously at some places a little south of Provo and also around Cedar City. I've never heard of a lot of the builders around those areas though. Have spent a pretty good amount of time in Southern Utah, but really want to get out of the heat. Finding something that's new and on grid away from the city has been challenging!
JRizzle
AG
I live in Ogden. I love it. Mormon thing is a non-issue. Tons of smart great people. I love it. I love the hiking and the skiing right outside my door. I have no regrets...

Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

JR
UTExan
WestGalvestonAggie said:

Looking seriously at some places a little south of Provo and also around Cedar City. I've never heard of a lot of the builders around those areas though. Have spent a pretty good amount of time in Southern Utah, but really want to get out of the heat. Finding something that's new and on grid away from the city has been challenging!

I actually like the desert(ish) towns of Nephi and Santaquin south of Provo as well as the Ogden area. I live in SLC and it is fine, but way too many apartments going up right now and I am feeling a bit crowded. There is also central and southern Utah where you get plenty of heat but little humidity: overlooked small towns are Price, Ephraim, Panguitch, Parowan and Richfield along with Green River. Utah does have a state income tax, so be aware of that along with a growing Hispanic population which means wider availability of Mexican restaurants which have regional cuisine: Tex-Mex, Oaxacan, Jalisco, Sinaloa. But the majority of people here are British/Nordic/German descent and tend to be very well educated and conservative. I have never regretted moving here although I do miss Texas. I just don't miss the heat and humidity.
SmithAg18
AG
A little bit off topic here, but thought this would be the place to ask. Anyone know a good place in the SLC area to watch the Ags btho Colorado this weekend (9/11)? Girlfriend and I will be coming through as part of our vacation and wanted to find a bar with the game on. Thanks in advance.
RockOn
SmithAg18 said:

A little bit off topic here, but thought this would be the place to ask. Anyone know a good place in the SLC area to watch the Ags btho Colorado this weekend (9/11)? Girlfriend and I will be coming through as part of our vacation and wanted to find a bar with the game on. Thanks in advance.
I haven't been in bars much the last year and a half, but the one I was in that I thought was good to watch a game at is the bar area of Trolley Wing Co (Sugarhouse, but there's one close to downtown).

The local A&M club has a FB page, but haven't seen anyone getting together for a watch party. Seems most are travelling to the game.
WestGalvestonAggie
UTExan said:

WestGalvestonAggie said:

I actually like the desert(ish) towns of Nephi and Santaquin south of Provo as well as the Ogden area. I live in SLC and it is fine, but way too many apartments going up right now and I am feeling a bit crowded. There is also central and southern Utah where you get plenty of heat but little humidity: overlooked small towns are Price, Ephraim, Panguitch, Parowan and Richfield along with Green River. Utah does have a state income tax, so be aware of that along with a growing Hispanic population which means wider availability of Mexican restaurants which have regional cuisine: Tex-Mex, Oaxacan, Jalisco, Sinaloa. But the majority of people here are British/Nordic/German descent and tend to be very well educated and conservative. I have never regretted moving here although I do miss Texas. I just don't miss the heat and humidity.

I appreciate the info. Will be headed up for another look around Christmas, and Santaquin is on the radar. Really like Panguitch too!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.