New York

2,594 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DD88
j_sizzle24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've been recently thinking about relocating to NY (Manhattan). Was born in Long Island, recently visited the city and fell in love with it. For anyone who lives there, how is it actually like living there?
Bayside Tiger Ag
My wife and I lived on both the Upper West and Upper East sides when we lived there. Rule of thumb: don't move there if you don't have a decent job lined up... if you're fresh out of undergrad, I'd argue you need to make at least $65K to live somewhat comfortably in Manhattan, and that's if you're single and have no dependents. Expect very high taxes and in terms of real estate value, a lower standard of living than wherever you are moving from (unless SF or DC). NYC is also a dirty city. It is what it is.

That said, there are a lot of positive trade offs. Services are available 24/7. Crime isnt a big concern. You'd live in arguably the most exciting place in the world. You'd live in a place a lot of people dream of living in but can never get there for some reason or another.

Take the opportunity if it fits. We loved it there. I will say, NYC is not conducive to raising a family. It is too expensive unless you work in high finance and would be a tough, cramped environment for a child, in my opinion. If you move there, you will grow a very thick skin and will need to learn how to balance the demands of a white collar NYC job with your personal life. It is a great experience, but you have to prepare yourself for what to expect.

Good luck!
H2OPoloAg02
I moved up on a whim for a "year or 2"... in January 2007 as a single 20s guy crashing on a friends couch.

12 years later I'm married with 2 kids still living in Manhattan. It's exhausting, but very convenient. I wouldn't trade it, but don't need to stay here forever. We'll see what the future holds.

Pros:
- commute - I bike 10 min through Central Park to work
- kids activities - my boys school is 2 blocks away and I can make any school activity very easily (schedule permitting)
- activities / culture / restaurants / etc - I don't think I need to elaborate
- if you're single... meeting people is incredibly easy
- career - super easy to network
- getting around - no car. No problem. Walk, bike, subway, cab. Easy to get around the city and you figure out your neighborhood spots quickly.
- access to non-city activities - it's easy to get out to ski, beaches, etc.
- pace of life

Cons:
- expensive
- crowded
- pace of life... I need a break!!

Do it!
j_sizzle24
AG
What line of work are you in?
H2OPoloAg02
Life insurance. Started as an actuary now in management roles. I also spent a few years in management consulting in between.
DD88
AG
Here is the Finals info:

The International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella Finals

Quote:

The Varsity Vocals International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA) is a premiere tournament dedicated to showcasing the art of student a cappella singing and providing top-notch a cappella groups with valuable feedback from our highly qualified judges. Our young vocalists have the opportunity to share their talent with an international audience, develop relationships with each other, and cultivate the art of a cappella singing as well as a lifelong love of music.

Featuring (so far):
BisCaydence | University of Miami | South Champion
Aquapella | University of Bath | United Kingdom Champion
The Michigan G-Men | University of Michigan | Great Lakes Champion
CMU Originals | Carnegie Mellon University | Central Champion
Towson Trills A Cappella | Towson University | Mid-Atlantic Champion
Sedoctave | Ball State University | Midwest Champion
HardChord DynaMix | Texas A&M University | Southwest Champion
ScatterTones | University of California, Los Angeles | West Champion
The NYU N'Harmonics | New York University | Northeast Champion

EDIT: Sorry wrong forum, but A&M has a group competing in NYC on April 27th if there is any Aggie Club there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.