Seattle Vacation - whale watching tours/other places of interest

2,742 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sea Pony 07
Jack Bristow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have suggestions for whale watching tours in Seattle/San Juan Island?

Any other tips while up in the Pacific NW?
PlanoAg98
AG
You may want to specify the dates you are there? That makes a big difference in what to do.
Jack Bristow
AG
We will be there either the July 31st - Aug 4th or Aug 7th - Aug 11th
PlanoAg98
AG
The boat from downtown Seattle to SJIs and back will fill up a whole day. It's beautiful scenery along the way but if you want to save time, you can drive up the coast and cross over to the SJIs at a closer spot (Anacortes).

I thought the Boeing factory tour in Everett is really good.

I would say take the Ride the Duck tours but they might be halted for a bit. It's a great way to quickly see all the popular spots in Seattle.
Jack Bristow
AG
Thank you so much!

We want to go hiking, would you suggest Mt. Rainer or Mt. St. Helen's? (Trail hiking)

Are there any breweries you might recommend?
NColoradoAG
Jack Bristow said:

Fremont, Holy Mountain, and Cloudburst
runontexas
AG
Cloudburst = People Power Pale Ale
runontexas
AG
Wen to cloudburst on your recommendation and the beer is extremely below average
PlanoAg98
AG
If you're looking for a good beer, go to the Mack & Jack's brewery. Their brewery tour is OK but their beers are great.
NColoradoAG
runontexas said:

Wen to cloudburst on your recommendation and the beer is extremely below average
That's too bad. I enjoyed their IPA's when I was out there last year.
a.froman
AG
We went and did a wine tour out in Woodinville. It is about a 30-45 minute drive. We used a private car from Seattle Wine tours and it was very good. Would definitely recommend.
Jack Bristow
AG
Is there a specific Whale Watching tour we should use, or are they all about the same?
SeattleAgJr
it has been a while since I did a whale tour, but most of the tour companies share whale spotting information with each other because no one wants to have disappointed tourists bad mouth the activity.

That said:
1. I have been on whale tours where there were no whales. They often go "out of bounds" in their hunt for food so they are not always there.
2. You want a tour company that generally focuses on the West side of San Juan Island itself, as that is the primary passage where the whales forage (but again they are free-roaming animals).
3. Your odds are better with full day "cruises" vs the half-day. Likely to see more wildlife (eagles, porpoises, seals, etc).

SeattleAgJr
Jack Bristow said:

Thank you so much!

We want to go hiking, would you suggest Mt. Rainer or Mt. St. Helen's? (Trail hiking)

Rainier. Go to Paradise visitor center, and there are some great elevation hikes that give you better views of the mountains, including St Helens. Also has beautiful alpine meadows during the summer.

The route to Paradise also has hikes to various waterfalls (some near the road), so a few miles from the respective parking areas.
SeattleAgJr
Jack Bristow said:

We will be there either the July 31st - Aug 4th or Aug 7th - Aug 11th
if you are here the 7/31-8/4th, the Blue Angels will be practicing over Lake Washington on the 2nd and 3rd. It is a blast to see the show "in downtown" as they rocket around Lake Washington. You can walk out a short ways onto the I-90 bride deck and watch them.

They formal shows are on Sat and Sun (4th/5th) so there is that as well.
SeattleAgJr
Jack Bristow said:

Anyone have suggestions for whale watching tours in Seattle/San Juan Island?

Any other tips while up in the Pacific NW?
Renovated Space Needle is kind of cool. That said I went last week and there is STILL areas closed off due to construction. Not set to complete until mid-August some time.

Trip to Mt Si and Snoqualmie Falls rarely disappoints.
Mt Si is a good 4-5 hour round trip hike to the top, with great views of the Cascades (and Seattle in the distance).

Ferry ride to/from Bremerton is a fun few hours. Grab lunch in Bremerton.

If you want a day trip, you can "do Whidbey Island".
Take the ferry to the island, lots of little communities, and fantastic state parks, drive up through Coupeville, then over Deception pass and then I-5 back to Seattle.
Jack Bristow
AG
Thank you so much for all you input!!!

We are going up Aug 7th - Aug 11th, we are thinking about venturing up in to Vancouver for a day.

Is the suspension bridge, Grouse Mountain, Lookout, etc...worth the crowds? Any areas we should hit?

Thank you again to everyone for all the great tips.
PlanoAg98
AG
I think there is much more to see/do in Vancouver than Seattle. FYI. I've lived in each city for 3+ years. Go to Vancouver for a day. Rent a bike downtown. You can see all of downtown Vancouver including Stanley Park & Granville Island on a bike.
SeattleAgJr
Jack Bristow said:

Thank you so much for all you input!!!

We are going up Aug 7th - Aug 11th, we are thinking about venturing up in to Vancouver for a day.

Is the suspension bridge, Grouse Mountain, Lookout, etc...worth the crowds? Any areas we should hit?

Thank you again to everyone for all the great tips.
It can be worth it, but it is a FULL day trip (3 hours, each way). Getting to the border is approx. 2 hours. There is always a wait at the border in both directions during the summer. Make sure you have passport or EID.

Other places to see in Vancouver BC, include the waterfront, Stanley Park, chinatown

In my opinion, I would skip Vancouver and pick similar experiences in WA to better maximize your time (and limit traveling). E.g., instead of Grouse Mountain, do the gondola at Crystal Mountain near Mt Rainier if visiting rainier, while not a suspension bridge, Deception Pass bridge on Whidbey Island is a good alternative, etc.

Or do an overnight trip to San Juan Islands for that experience.

Just my opinion.

SeattleAgJr
PlanoAg98 said:

I think there is much more to see/do in Vancouver than Seattle. FYI. I've lived in each city for 3+ years. Go to Vancouver for a day. Rent a bike downtown. You can see all of downtown Vancouver including Stanley Park & Granville Island on a bike.
I see the as kind of the same. You can hit up the main attraction in both cities in about a day. It is just what you want to do re: excursions around and outside the cities that should set the agenda.

But that said, as far as the cities themselves go... I Like Vancouver more than I like Seattle. It is a prettier more touristy friendly city.
sjislepilot
AG
Jack - if you end up on San Juan Island and are looking to have a beer let me know. I'll be here until the end of August.
Jack Bristow
AG
I'll take you up on that! Will be on San Juan Island almost all day/evening on Aug. 8th
PlanoAg98
AG
I'll be in Vancouver 8/11 - 8/13.

SeattleAgJr
sjislepilot said:

Jack - if you end up on San Juan Island and are looking to have a beer let me know. I'll be here until the end of August.
are you a boat pilot or a plane pilot?
sjislepilot
AG
Plane-was actually gonna offer up a flight but currently do not have a plane of my own. Can rent though for about $150 an hour. Which isn't terrible. Shoot. You can see most of the island in 15 minutes by air.

Text/call is fine. It's beautiful up here right now.
SeattleAgJr
sjislepilot said:

Plane-was actually gonna offer up a flight but currently do not have a plane of my own. Can rent though for about $150 an hour. Which isn't terrible. Shoot. You can see most of the island in 15 minutes by air.

360-317-four eight zero 9

Text/call is fine. It's beautiful up here right now.
damn, Wish I had known. My dad was up last week and we stayed at some relatives cabins on the north end of Orcas.
sjislepilot
AG
Bummer! Yeah man - see you post on here all the time. Would have enjoyed getting to take y'all out.

Orcas is awesome. Used to camp over at Cascade Lake there for the trout opener every year when I was younger.
Jack Bristow
AG
Pilot - we are on the island today! What is a good spot to grab a beer or a must stop while waiting to go on a whale watching tour?

214- eight eight five - five 8 two 3
cr0wbar
AG
Man, my wife and I just got back from a quick Seattle vacation and we're already looking up real estate

We did a road trip- Ferry across to Bainbridge, and stayed a night in Port Angeles, and the next night in Forks. Cresent Lake is must see.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Man, my wife and I just got back from a quick Seattle vacation and we're already looking up real estate
Have you looked at the price tags of that real estate yet? The house prices anywhere in the Seattle vicinity is just stupidly high. Remember that you went to Seattle during the best 3-4 months where it's not always overcast and drizzling. I lived in Seattle for 3 years and the other 8-9 months is pretty depressing.
cr0wbar
AG
I figured it would be high, but not THAT high. Within minutes we knew that Seattle proper is not the way. Port Angeles and Sequim would be more of a possibility. Yea, this last weekend we lucked out with weather. You could kinda see it on some locals faces. They have this "just outta hibernation" lol about them
Sea Pony 07
AG
Where did you stay in Forks/ Port Angeles? I have 2 weeks left on my contract up here and I was looking to go out there to see the Hoh rainforest and a few water falls 9/4-9/5.
cr0wbar
AG
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

PA- we stayed at an awesome air bnb cabin just west of port angeles. I can provide the link if you're interested

Forks- we stayed at the Miller Tree inn B&B
Sea Pony 07
AG
Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.