Ames, Iowa

1,548 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

I took a job here, and have never been to Iowa. Any Aggies live around?

Any recommendations? I'll be there alone for now so I will definitely want to check the area out!
AgEng98
I don't live there, but visit several times a year for work. Lots of Aggies at ISU. The best bbq joint in town (Old Hickory) has some Aggie connection, I believe.
Dirks Shooting Hand
I live in West Des Moines, but work in Ames. Depending on where you're coming from, it's your typical midsize Iowa town. There are two parts to Ames, the college and then the city. Ames is actually a pretty fast growing community. If you have kids, live in the far north part, within the Gilbert school district. It's smaller and has more manageable classroom sizes. There is an emerging tech scene that pays very well relative to the cost of living. Downtown Ames is historic and will soon be considered a part of "Main St USA". There are breweries, bars, cafes, consignment and other retail downtown. Ames holds several events throughout the year downtown from concerts to art walks. It's close enough to Des Moines that you don't feel isolated, but far enough away to create its own identity.
JD Shellnut
AG
MrsC2012 said:

Howdy!

I took a job here, and have never been to Iowa. Any Aggies live around?

Any recommendations? I'll be there alone for now so I will definitely want to check the area out!

Abelardo's Mexican Restaurant is very good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.