San Francisco-place to stay and visit

1,768 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Thomas Sowell, PhD
rc101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!

I am ChemE graduate student at A&M and visiting SF from Sept 28-Oct 2, 2017 to rejuvenate myself.
I am trying to figure out where to stay and places to visit (and eat)/things to do in the area.

1. I tried to use Couchsurfing app but doesn't seem to be working out. Hotels seem expensive so will be exploring Airbnb, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions where I could stay for cheap(er)? Being a student puts me on budget constraint and I feel accommodation will probably be the only thing to make things cheaper, so trying to figure out my options.

2 Also would appreciate if you have suggestions/recommendations for things to do, places to visit (in SF/downtown or around) and places to eat (any cuisine).

Thanks & Gig'em,
Aggie'19
aTm2004
AG
Not an expert on San Fran by any means, but my wife and I did spend a few days there during our honeymoon before heading north to punish our livers like we were back in college...but with more class, obviously.

Food:
Scoma's near the wharf was really good and seems to always be a suggestion from TexAgs. It's pricey, but good food.

Mama's on Washington Square was probably my wife and I's favorite. Very small place with a wait, but it's worth it, IMO. We went there for brunch.

Swan Oyster Depot is a place that has fresh seafood that's not too pricey...for San Francisco. Like Mama's above, it's a small casual place that usually has a wait.

Dottie's True Blue Cafe was a pretty good place for breakfast. They were on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, which is why we decided to give it a shot. We enjoyed it and they had great pancakes. My wife is kind of a pancake snob, so the fact that she enjoyed them is all I needed. I think they've moved to a bigger location now, but it was a small place with a long ass wait when we went back in '11...but if you go for breakfast, go before they open and it won't be too bad.

Lodging:
San Francisco is expensive. Air BNB may be your best option unless you find something on priceline or something a couple days before.

Things To Do:
The cable car is a must, which is actually a pretty fun experience. It drops you off near the Wharf and Union Square, but you can get on at any of the stops along the way. It's also cheaper than a cab, and probably faster.

Alamo Square Park is a pretty popular area because the Painted Ladies are there. Related to this is the Full House house that you can visit. It's pretty easy to find the address online. I grew up watching that show, so it was pretty cool for me.

Golden Gate Park is a relaxing place to walk through. Like Central Park in NYC, it's a nice quiet break from the city around it. Just be aware that the west side of it borders the beach, and if the wind is blowing, it will be cold a ***** We were there in June and were freezing.

You can go to Presidio Terrace and laugh at San Fran's wealthy people who now live on a street bought by a couple for $90,000 because the HOA didn't pay the $14/yr tax for like 30 years. They're pissed and just lost their free street parking, and really can't do **** about it.

Alcatraz is awesome, but you'll need to buy your tickets well in advance (like now) since it sells out.

You can rent a bike and bike over the Golden Gate Bridge. We didn't do it, but did drive over it on our way to Napa. When you cross it, you head down to Sausalito and check out the town. It's a pretty cool town with a great view of SFO.

Not sure if you're a baseball fan, but the Giants will be in town while you're there, so you can catch a game and check out the park. They were out of town when we were there or we would have done the same.

Also, take a jacket with you and keep it on you at all times if you're out. It may feel perfect at noon, but by 5, you'll be seeing your breath, especially if you're near the bay. Also, your legs will get a workout with all of the hills if you choose to walk around, which I suggest. San Francisco was a fun city, but I was honestly ready to leave when we did. For some reason, it just got old to me quick. When I leave Chicago or Manhattan, I'm always sad and want to stay.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
rc101
Thank you for your detailed response good sir! The places and activities that you have suggested all sound really exciting and I will put in a list of my things to do. I will be skipping baseball though cuz I don't enjoy it as much. And yes you are correct, airbnb might be the best option. Thanks again! Will keep building up the list and get maximum out of my stay.

I was in SF briefly (4-5 hours, so couldn't do anything) two years ago and it was really cold for me (to the extent that I hated it because I didn't have a jacket), so thanks for reminding me about the jacket! I don't get to travel much (and am an International student) so have had limited experiences of other metropolitan but am excited for this trip. Maybe in future I can travel to Chicago and Manhattan, and compare the experience with SF, perhaps I will ask you for activities in those cities when life takes me there.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.