Tampa/Clearwater relocation

8,715 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by SATX_BQ98
Pirate04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Potentially relocating to the Tampa area around the end of the year but I am trying to find out as much as I can before making such a big decision. Things I must consider are job opportunities available, I'm looking for something in aviation which would be part time or shift type work. I won't know anyone so the culture for thirty something singles is a big factor. And I know nothing about the area, so picking the right place to live is important too.

If anyone has any advice or knows how I could find job opportunities, please respond to this thread or PM me.

Thanks!!
FC12
I enjoyed my time in Dunedin. If your commute is taking you to the Tampa airport everyday, you may want to consider something on that side of the
bay. If you're working down at St.Pete Int., you can live in Clearwater and be ok for the most part. Nice areas. Great beaches.
Matsui
AG
Which aviation gig is there?
Pirate04
AG
I'm an Army reserve pilot.
Rusty Aha
AG
Wooahhhh
AG
women's beach volleyball makes Clearwater Beach a consideration. Just sayin'.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
There's a great ice cream shop at John's Pass...
Rusty Aha
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
The one my brother and I have - Kohr Family Ice Cream at 12831 Village Blvd
Rusty Aha
AG
Pirate04
AG
So I am moving to Clearwater in February after my time here in Alabama is finished. Unfortunately I cannot support myself just by flying with the Reserves and will need to find a job. I won't have enough hours to fly on the civilian side, so that's not an option right now. I really need something with flexibility. Any ideas? I have a degree in History and experience in many different areas.
fla_agfan
Welcome to the Bay. Abandon all hopes of good mexican food. Also, bbq blows here... for the most part. 4 Rivers is probably your best bet.

Enjoy the weather and don't get in a hurry when the snow birds are in town.
Rusty Aha
AG
BigBrother
AG
BigFred
Yo
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
We just moved to Tampa a couple months ago, so far really enjoying the area.

All I need now is a group of like-minded Aggies to watch Aggie football. Is there any sort of Aggie-club sponsored watch parties in the area? Or even just a small group that regularly watches the games?
zag80
Pirate04
AG
There's at least one A&M club but I don't think they meet very often. It's for the whole Bay Area, you should be able to find them on FB.

Also welcome!!!
WestGalvestonAggie
Too late now.

HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Ok, new football season so trying it again. I've checked the Facebook group but doesn't seem very active.

Anybody in the Tampa Bay Area want to watch the games this season? I live in south Tampa, but I'm happy to commute especially for the big games.
Pirate04
AG
I live in Clearwater but work almost full time out in CA. I'd be happy to meet for a game watch one weekend I'm home!
SATX_BQ98
AG
Have a job opportunity in Tampa area. Wife and kid are apprehensive about moving. How is life for a family with a HS freshman to be? Lots of things to do? quality of life? Moving from San Antonio, and have never lived outside Texas.
FL_Ag1998
AG
SATX_BQ98 said:

Have a job opportunity in Tampa area. Wife and kid are apprehensive about moving. How is life for a family with a HS freshman to be? Lots of things to do? quality of life? Moving from San Antonio, and have never lived outside Texas.

I live in the Tampa area, have for 21 years now. The answers to your questions can vary of course depending on what you and your family's interests are. There's plenty of stuff to do and stay busy with especially if you're active outdoors.

If your kid is into sports he'll find a team for pretty much any sport. Tampa area itself is a big sports town. We have the Bucs, the Rays, and the Lightning are just as popular here as the Bucs believe it or not.

Outdoor activities trend more towards the water -either salt or freshwater (although you obviously have to be careful about swimming in freshwater). My only complaint with the outdoors here is that I'm a hiker and camper. The landscape and terrain doesn't lend itself to very exciting hiking, and the climate makes camping between March and November miserable. My son and I head up to Georgia and Tennessee to do our camping and hiking. But if you're more of a fishing and out on the water type of person you'll love it.

And of course you have the beaches extremely close and all the amusement parks in Orlando only an hour away.

The area is growing fast so there are growing pains, with housing and traffic being the biggest ones. But all the amenities seem to be keeping up (stores, etc).

Not to get too political but if you're of more of a conservative nature then Florida is trending in the right direction for you. I can't tell you how happy I was that I lived in Florida during the pandemic. My day to day life changed very little during that time.

That said when I retire I do plan on moving to the hills of Tennessee or North Carolina but that's just personal preference. I am glad to be living right now in Florida, making my career and raising my son here.
SATX_BQ98
AG
We spent the weekend in Tampa last week. Had a good time. Toured town with a real estate agent and got a little lay of the land. If you could, what parts of town do you think are the best to live? Also, what does the private school situation look like?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.