Colorado Springs?

4,195 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jock 07
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There may be a chance I could be moving to Colorado Springs for a great job. Could anyone here tell me a little about it? I know absolutely nothing about the town.
proudaggie02
AG
I live 45 minutes away in the southern Denver suburbs. CS is a nice town with some really pretty areas. If I was coming from Texas, I'd gladly live there. But having lived in Denver the last 7.5 years, I definitely prefer it here. The Springs has much more of a Texas feel, more of a middle/working class, and more of a country vibe.

I really like the areas near the Broadmoor and Pikes Peak/Cascade.
proudaggie02
AG
Also, you might consider checking out Castle Rock as a living option. It's 30-35 minutes to both downtown Denver and Colorado Springs.
10andBOUNCE
AG
We moved to COS last fall from Houston. You're welcome to email me - username @ gmail.

We've always wanted to make the jump to Colorado living and assumed it would be Denver. I had the chance to move to Denver a couple months before my current opportunity was available and we quickly realized the cost of living in Denver was not going to work.

We love Colorado Springs. Population of 500k - 1m and growing fast. Easier than a big city to get around, but still has its challenges. People have been very nice. Tons to do outdoors (obviously). Feel free to send a note with any specific questions or concerns.
Jock 07
AG
Lived in the springs for 3 years and am hoping to get back there in a couple more years. Absolutely loved our time there
knoxtom
We are house shopping there right now. Will be there the first week of June in person to find a place, hopefully. Looking at broadmoor, rockrimon and monument

I am willing to take a hit on my business to get out of dfw. Luckily I don't think it will affect me much professionally.
purplehayes
We live up near Monument. CS is a pretty laid back city and Denver is relatively close for any big city trips. Traffic in Denver sucks so there's that... we've been here 7 years now.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Check out Black Forest 80908.
You definitely don't want to be commuting in from Castle Rock. It snows sometimes
knoxtom
Happy to say we are moving the broadmoor bluffs in July. My son will start kindergarten at Cheyenne mountain elementary in the fall. Cheyenne mountain out the front door and ocerlooking the whole city from the back patio. Green space behind us.

Will be a challenge to work remotely but I think it will be worth it
knoxtom
We really like the Springs so far, only been a couple weeks though. Here are some of the standouts...

I think every neighbor has knocked on the door and introduced themselves. My son (5 yo) has three new friends and they play outside for hours every day. It is real cool having kids knock on the door and ask if he can come out and play.

Wildlife everywhere. We live on the side of a mountain with greenspace in back and no fences allowed. Deer are everywhere and very tame. Bear are very common and get real big here.

The outdoor stuff is epic and right out the door. A neighbor asked me to join him on a mtb ride and the downhill portion was 12 miles long.

Weather is pretty amazing... been gettin up to the low 90's but we never turn on the a/c and sleep with the windows open. Mornings are upper 50's and low 60's.
bkag9824
AG
Congrats on the move. Recently settled in Rangley, don't have quite the glowing review, but it's CO.

What's the range on $/ft in CS?
knoxtom
Housing is cheaper than DFW when you take into account property taxes. Our neighborhood is one of the nicest in town and it runs anywhere from 150 a foot up. Some of the houses are in the 5-10 million range so obviously it goes WAY up.

If you get into the nice neighborhoods in north CS it is more like 125 a foot and up. I just didn't like the cookie cutter feel of northern CS. Keep in mind that houses in CS are generally bigger than DFW houses. Most in DFW seem to be in the 3000 foot range, here they have a lot of 4000+ sf houses. We have 2800 sf on the first and second floors and another 1300 finished out in the basement.

The other thing to consider is that property taxes are WAY lower. Taxes and ins on our house is about $300 a month. HOA is voluntary and $25 a month.

Last thing, in DFW we went out to eat all the time and were always spending money on keeping ourselves busy. Here we eat with friends on the back patio and haven't spent a single dime on entertainment. I am getting the family season passes at Keystone for $1300 and that will keep us busy all winter.
HollywoodBQ
AG
knoxtom said:

Housing is cheaper than DFW when you take into account property taxes.
I paid less for a $225K house in Highlands Ranch than I did for a $115K house in Round Rock.
bkag9824
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

knoxtom said:

I paid less for a $225K house in Highlands Ranch than I did for a $115K house in Round Rock.

It really is incredible.

Factor in state income in lieu of property taxes though, and things begin to even out.
62strat
AG
purplehayes said:

We live up near Monument. CS is a pretty laid back city and Denver is relatively close for any big city trips. Traffic in Denver sucks so there's that... we've been here 7 years now.
Remember, he's coming from TX. Denver traffic will be a relief! It has for me, that's for sure. Love hearing the long term Denver residents complain about that though

They also complain when it's 95 outside, yet it feels like 70 in the shade.
knoxtom
bkag9824 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

knoxtom said:

It really is incredible.

Factor in state income in lieu of property taxes though, and things begin to even out.

Just a little on this. It doesn't even out.

Property taxes are cruel. If you get sick, retire, lose your job, etc. they don't go away. One of the biggest driving forces getting us to leave Texas is that I was sick in the past and I felt the need to protect my wife and family if I die. You see I can leave them enough insurance to pay off the house, but those taxes never go away and my wife could never afford to raise kids while paying a thousand bucks a month in property taxes. I don't want to force her into quick sales.

Living here, if I die, she has a paid off house and a simple income. Since income level would drop drastically, income taxes would drop with it.

So while it is about the same when you are in prime earning ages, it isn't the same at all for the rest of your life.

bkag9824
AG
Excellent point.
knoxtom
This guy was in my backyard 10 minutes ago. I was on the porch and he walked right below me huffing and puffing. At least 24 points

Sims
AG
Any of you have any insight to GE Johnson in Colorado Springs? I've got some questions I'd like to talk through.
knoxtom
So yesterday I was asking my 5 year old about his day at school. I asked about lunch and he was happy. I asked about recess and he was not happy. Said they couldn't go outside.

Turns out a big ol bear was taking a nap on the playground and wouldn't leave so the kids had to play inside.

We ain't in Dallas no more.
bkag9824
AG
What kind of work do y'all do?
knoxtom
real estate law
Jetpilot86
AG
bkag9824 said:

Congrats on the move. Recently settled in Rangley, don't have quite the glowing review, but it's CO.

What's the range on $/ft in CS?
Get a Jeep, the 4x4 park out there is a lot of fun, but it's a haul to get there for nearly everyone but you.
bkag9824
AG
Have heard it's pretty cool, but we won't be here long enough to justify that type of purchase.
Jock 07
AG
knoxtom said:

real estate law
Do you deal with owner tenant stuff or know someone in the springs who does? I have some issues with a former tenant in my house there in the springs that I'd like to get some advice on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.