Anchorage, AK Ags?

1,499 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by End Of Message
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May have an opportunity to move to Anchorage. Looking for general feedback, likes/dislikes, etc about the area. Currently, live in New Braunfels and work in Austin.
histag10
AG
If you dont get any responses, I can get some feedback from a few friends that live there, though they are at Elmdorf-Richardson, so their experience is likely different with living on base.

Let me know if you would like me to either put you in contact with her, or ask her some questions.
SeattleAgJr
Don't live there, but work sends me there frequently.

Learn to love potholes during the Spring thaw
Learn that shipping costs suck when you want something from the lower 48
Learn what mosquito hell really is during the summer
Buy blackout curtains for the summer

Great place if you like outdoors things.

Can be cold, but recent winters have been hit/miss
Hope you are married; dating pool is less than most areas

Don't expect lots of variety when it comes to shopping
Entertainment events are very limited (almost no international acts go through Anchorage)

jetescamilla
AG
I live in juneau but travel through alaska a lot for work. I'm in anchorage and fairbanks quite a bit. What sort of questions do you have? Maybe send me an email it's probably easier than texags.

Jetescamilla at gmail . Com
jsc8116
AG
I lived there for about 4 years from 2002-2007. It is a good place to live if you are young and not married/have no kids and enjoy the outdoors/fishing/hunting, but I dont miss living there.

Anchorage itself has its problems just like any city. There are gangs, drugs, the homeless, and run down areas that people usually dont think is possible in Alaska.

Cost of living and the isolation does get old after a while. Dont expect to find a nice apartment complex like you would down in the lower 48. Expect to spend about $1200+/month to rent a decent condo/duplex if you are by yourself. If you want to buy a single family home, be prepared to spend $400k+ for a newer/nicer home built within the last 10 years that in the nice part of town.

As someone mentioned earlier the dating pool is limited if you are a guy unless you are looking for a 3x divorced single mother of 4 that just got out of her 3rd relationship this month with the 25 year old airman at Elmendorf AFB.

Let me know if you have any specific questions though.
End Of Message
AG
Thanks for all the replies. Based on this thread and discussing with others who have lived there, I've passed on the position.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.