Relocating to Phoenix

4,843 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
DBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am possibly relocating from Austin TX to the Phoenix Metro area for work. Still have 9-12 months to work the details out.

For those that live in the Phoenix area, where would be the best places to start looking for houses? We will be buying. It will be myself, wife, 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. Safe neighborhoods and great schools are top priorities.

We have been browsing the Gilbert or Chandler area, but wanted some insight from residents. We will be making trips out to the area once everything is further along, just doing some preliminary research.
taylorag06
AG
Don't do it. Been here two years and moving away in January. Can't wait to escape.
DBill
AG
taylorag06 said:

Don't do it. Been here two years and moving away in January. Can't wait to escape.

What area are you in? What do you not like about? Where are you "escaping" to?
FTAC2011
AG
Following this thread as I may be doing the same early next year.

My sister lives there and says Peoria is a great area. I found this as well it has a cool graph at the bottom on how they came up with there results.

I've noticed the homes are ALOT more expensive than the Houston suburbs where I currently live.

http://www.movoto.com/guide/phoenix-az/phoenix-suburbs-for-raising-families/
DBill
AG
Any Ags that way want to give some feedback?
taylorag06
AG
Granted ok different strokes for different folks so this is "just like my opinion man."

There are no seasons it's summer, then stupid wtf summer, then post summer, then pre summer. Be prepared for 120 degrees. Be prepared for days where it will not drop below 90 at all. You get home from work, it's dark out and it's still 102. So if you're like me and enjoy outdoor activities... It becomes reverse cabin fever because you don't want to leave your AC. Everything is brown.... Everything. There is very little culture beyond the "Bros and Bro-hoe" culture. In general the people are lazy and uninspiring. Nothing is close to anything else, so all activities require a minimum of a 20 minute drive each way. It seems like most parts of the valley are cookie cutters of each other. Like there's a building code that they must have a Walgreens, Carl's jr, Safeway, and CVS every square mile.
To clarify, I live in North Phx, since my office is even further north. I've lived in AZ for 6 years and Phoenix for 2. I don't dislike AZ as a whole, there are some great spots in the high country, and if my job would let me live in Flagstaff again I'd probably stay in AZ. No dice. I'm moving to the PNW and it can't come soon enough.

I could keep going and happily will if you still want additional details.
DBill
AG
taylorag06 said:

Granted ok different strokes for different folks so this is "just like my opinion man."

There are no seasons it's summer, then stupid wtf summer, then post summer, then pre summer. Be prepared for 120 degrees. Be prepared for days where it will not drop below 90 at all. You get home from work, it's dark out and it's still 102. So if you're like me and enjoy outdoor activities... It becomes reverse cabin fever because you don't want to leave your AC. Everything is brown.... Everything. There is very little culture beyond the "Bros and Bro-hoe" culture. In general the people are lazy and uninspiring. Nothing is close to anything else, so all activities require a minimum of a 20 minute drive each way. It seems like most parts of the valley are cookie cutters of each other. Like there's a building code that they must have a Walgreens, Carl's jr, Safeway, and CVS every square mile.
To clarify, I live in North Phx, since my office is even further north. I've lived in AZ for 6 years and Phoenix for 2. I don't dislike AZ as a whole, there are some great spots in the high country, and if my job would let me live in Flagstaff again I'd probably stay in AZ. No dice. I'm moving to the PNW and it can't come soon enough.

I could keep going and happily will if you still want additional details.

It was just funny you posted don't do it earlier with absolutely zero context.

When you say no seasons, it's a desert, don't think anyone would think four full seasons in a desert. Coming from Texas, there aren't seasons either. I don't think weather is a legitimate argument here, again Phoenix is a desert and hot.

My questions were on actual locations in the Phoenix area, Chandler and Gilbert, which you still failed to answer. While I appreciate the Big Lebowski quote, just looking for some good context on areas.
taylorag06
AG
Yup it's a desert, and that means being a slave to your AC and being indoors for approximately 6-7 months a year. That was the point I was trying to make. Live near where you work. As I mentioned, the whole valley looks the same and you will end up having to drive all across it for one reason or another, so you may as well limit your commute as much as you can.
Matsui
AG
I'd argue in north Texas there are seasons.
DBill
AG
Matsui said:

I'd argue in north Texas there are seasons.

True.
Pahdz
lol at "bros and bro-hoe" that is dead on. Lots of shallow people out there. My analysis when I lived out there was you had a bunch of midwesterners that wanted to move out to Cali, ran out of money and just stayed in the valley.
simongalicia
AG
I live in Gilbert. Based off of what I have seen I would say it would be a great spot for a family of 4. I don't have any kids but I know the schools in Gilbert have a solid reputation. As for the weather, it is hot, of course it's hot, but other than June-Aug its really not that bad. I personally love having 9 months of what I consider really great weather. Also, we have little to no humidity, that plays a huge difference when its 110 outside. As far as location, I never have to drive more than 10-15 minutes to get any of the essentials. There is always something going on here too, between spring training, the waste management open, bowl games, Barrett Jackson .... There is always something to do here. Everything I expected to get out of living here I have gotten, but I certainly miss Texas from time to time, The people aren't nearly as friendly and be careful when looking at homes, I would make sure you don't have a 55 and older community close by, just a word of advice.
DBill
AG
simongalicia said:

I live in Gilbert. Based off of what I have seen I would say it would be a great spot for a family of 4. I don't have any kids but I know the schools in Gilbert have a solid reputation. As for the weather, it is hot, of course it's hot, but other than June-Aug its really not that bad. I personally love having 9 months of what I consider really great weather. Also, we have little to no humidity, that plays a huge difference when its 110 outside. As far as location, I never have to drive more than 10-15 minutes to get any of the essentials. There is always something going on here too, between spring training, the waste management open, bowl games, Barrett Jackson .... There is always something to do here. Everything I expected to get out of living here I have gotten, but I certainly miss Texas from time to time, The people aren't nearly as friendly and be careful when looking at homes, I would make sure you don't have a 55 and older community close by, just a word of advice.

Thanks for the solid advice. Based off what my wife and I have read about, Gilbert or Chandler area going to be the areas we look into. Thank you again.
Alan Pavio
AG
Gilbert/Chandler are great areas to be. I was in Chandler a few years ago and loved it. I try to go back a few times a year to visit friends and make a trip back up to Sedona/Flagstaff.

In regards to the heat, obviously it's hot, but once the sun goes down it's not that bad. You can actually go sit on a patio until he evenings and be comfortable in the summer, even if the temp is still 100+. Have fun attempting that in Texas.
Dirks Shooting Hand
Lots of haters in this thread. I might be late to the game here, but I just wanted to clarify some things about Phoenix. It's no different than any other large city. Difference is the sunshine and vastness. I went to high school in Flagstaff and graduated from ASU and I have nothing but great things to say about the Valley. Yes, there are some skeezes, and rude people from socal with an LA complex. But, if you run into a local from Phoenix, it's like talking to someone from Iowa. They're nice, welcoming and honest people.

A great place for a family in the direct metro is most certainly Gilbert. It has the best schools and is a very family friendly city. If I ever moved back to phx I would actually look in Fountain Hills. It's a little more pricey and a little bit further out, but it's secluded, clean and more of a community. I would stay away from the far west valley, such as buckeye and Peoria. North Glendale isn't bad, but it's a good distance from downtown phx, Scottsdale and Tempe. If you can afford it, Cave creek/Carefree is nice, although there are plenty of $30k millionaires, which is annoying but manageable.

Like any other large metro area, it's only what you make of it. Phoenix metro is still very new and clean. The freeway system is second to none and they're starting construction on the extension of loop 202 from south of the valley to the west valley which will alleviate congestion on I-10 through Tempe and east Phoenix. If you're an outdoors person, you will fall in love with the place. There are many places to day hike, rock climb, water ski, tubing and swim. It's one of the rare places where you can have a margarita in the morning poolside, then drive two hours north for a half day at the Arizona Snowbowl to snowboard. Obviously the golf is fantastic and Spring Training is one of the best times of the year.
RJT98
Dirks Shooting Hand said:

Lots of haters in this thread. I might be late to the game here, but I just wanted to clarify some things about Phoenix. It's no different than any other large city. Difference is the sunshine and vastness. I went to high school in Flagstaff and graduated from ASU and I have nothing but great things to say about the Valley. Yes, there are some skeezes, and rude people from socal with an LA complex. But, if you run into a local from Phoenix, it's like talking to someone from Iowa. They're nice, welcoming and honest people.

A great place for a family in the direct metro is most certainly Gilbert. It has the best schools and is a very family friendly city. If I ever moved back to phx I would actually look in Fountain Hills. It's a little more pricey and a little bit further out, but it's secluded, clean and more of a community. I would stay away from the far west valley, such as buckeye and Peoria. North Glendale isn't bad, but it's a good distance from downtown phx, Scottsdale and Tempe. If you can afford it, Cave creek/Carefree is nice, although there are plenty of $30k millionaires, which is annoying but manageable.

Like any other large metro area, it's only what you make of it. Phoenix metro is still very new and clean. The freeway system is second to none and they're starting construction on the extension of loop 202 from south of the valley to the west valley which will alleviate congestion on I-10 through Tempe and east Phoenix. If you're an outdoors person, you will fall in love with the place. There are many places to day hike, rock climb, water ski, tubing and swim. It's one of the rare places where you can have a margarita in the morning poolside, then drive two hours north for a half day at the Arizona Snowbowl to snowboard. Obviously the golf is fantastic and Spring Training is one of the best times of the year.
Thanks for your insight. I too am looking at a possible relocation to the Phoenix area and was considering a few of the places mentioned in this post.

Fountain Hills looked great to me, but is there nothing but snowbirds over there? Also, Cave Creek/Carefree looked like a good option too, but looking at a few videos online I got the impression a few of the folks in that area are a little too artsy for me or wanna-be bikers. Are those stereotypes accurate?

At the end of the day, Gilbert looks like a good option - if for no other reason than it looks like a good number of people have actual grass at their homes.

Any additional thoughts on specific areas, or even specific schools (elementary and junior high), would be greatly appreciated.
Pahdz
Not sure where you would be working but the commute from Gilbert could be painful. Could you afford to be in Paradise Valley? Great schools there. Your assumption of Cave Creek and Carefree is correct.
RJT98
Pahdz said:

Not sure where you would be working but the commute from Gilbert could be painful. Could you afford to be in Paradise Valley? Great schools there. Your assumption of Cave Creek and Carefree is correct.
Scottsdale (101 and Frank Lloyd Wright area) is where I'd be working. Paradise Valley looks great, but too much money. Looks like there might be a few spots in North Scottsdale or possibly on Shea heading out toward Fountain Hills. Otherwise, I've heard the same story about Gilbert/Chandler. The commute would be bad, even to that 101/Frank Lloyd Wright area. Thought about Mesa too, but looks like it might be on the downturn.
Pahdz
The 101 is just an epic beat down. Fountain Hills I think would be a good option for you
DBill
AG
Glad to see some more insight to this thread. Updating from the initial post, the wife and I made a trip in late February to start scouting and we loved both Chandler and Gilbert. We went to a few open houses to just get a feel for the housing options and happened to meet with a very nice realtor who has setup a search option for us to be browsing homes.

Anyone have any info on the Queen Creek area? You sure can buy a lot of house down in that area. We still have around 6 months until move date and our kids are 2 and a half and 4. Our oldest will start kindergarten next school year, not this upcoming one.
Pahdz
Man Queen Creek is way the hell out there, and back 10 years ago there was no good road access to get out there.
DBill
AG
It is way the hell out there. My wife saw some homes for sale in that area so figured I would ask.

We are going to stay in the Chandler or Gilbert area.
RJT98
Pahdz said:

The 101 is just an epic beat down. Fountain Hills I think would be a good option for you.
Thanks. That's the area we're focusing in on now. Appreciate the help.
B$Weigem
AG
I am looking into the possible move out to PHX for a job. Where is the ideal area to live for a young professional 2-3 years out of college? Is there a Houston Heights type of area in PHX for young professionals?

TIA!
B$Weigem
AG
I am looking into the possible move out to PHX for a job. Where is the ideal area to live for a young professional 2-3 years out of college? Is there a Houston Heights type of area in PHX for young professionals?

TIA!
B$Weigem
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Salloh_Baloo said:

TIA!

Go around old town square area in scottsdale if you want an apartment. Best nightlife, best women, great food, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.