Cleveland, OH

2,387 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LayeredTrout
LayeredTrout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a potential relocation to Cleveland in my future. Doesn't have the reputation of being a great place to live, but thought I would see if any Aggies have experience living there, and get their thoughts. Thanks!

FancyKetchup14
AG
I lived in Cleveland for a year (sept 2014 to sept 2015) and I loved it. Cleveland certainly isn't the crap hole it used to be. They've really cleaned up the city with the RNC coming to town this summer and the downtown is really cool. Unsurprisingly the Aggie network isn't that big but there was another Ag I met on there who posts here occasionally, I'm not sure if he still lives there though. Friends are tough to make at first since it's a really tight knit community but once you get plugged into a social circle you're solid.

The winters suck, you just need to realize that if you move there. Coming from Texas I had no idea what a "real winter" was until the lake froze over. It'll snow. A lot. From November to about April it's pretty bleak, but the rest of the year it's gorgeous weather. Make sure you have a good coat and gloves.

In regards to living options I think that all depends on you. Downtown is awesome but is getting more and more expensive with all the renovations. Ohio city and the Tremont area (south of downtown) are certainly options. Tremont however has a reputation for having a bunch of scoundrels. It's gone through a gentrification process but all the poor folks have stayed, leading to an increased number of car break-ins. But the nightlife is awesome in Ohio City and Tremont.

I do not recommend the east side unless you like fearing for your life at night. If you venture that way however, live in one of the east sides little bubbles like beachwood, Shaker Heights (which is where the founders of CLE lived) or Cleveland Heights, but I'd avoid that area all together. East Cleveland is extremely poor and can get pretty dangerous. Once you go east of Case Western University and Little Italy you start to enter the danger zone. But Cleveland's Little Italy is badass.

I lived in a neighborhood west of Cleveland called Lakewood, lots of young people, great bars and food. I was close enough to downtown (less than 10 minutes) and my cost of living was extremely reasonable. Traffic is great for a city of its size cause you only have three directions to go. Their interstate system is really well thought out.

I honestly can't recommend Cleveland enough. I transferred to Cincinnati and would go back to Cleveland tomorrow. With the three huge sports teams, the nightlife, food/drink scene and things to do outdoors you can really enjoy yourself there. Hope this helped some, if you have any other questions let me know.
NoHo Hank
AG
quote:
I lived in Cleveland for a year (sept 2014 to sept 2015) and I loved it. Cleveland certainly isn't the crap hole it used to be. They've really cleaned up the city with the RNC coming to town this summer and the downtown is really cool. Unsurprisingly the Aggie network isn't that big but there was another Ag I met on there who posts here occasionally, I'm not sure if he still lives there though. Friends are tough to make at first since it's a really tight knit community but once you get plugged into a social circle you're solid.

The winters suck, you just need to realize that if you move there. Coming from Texas I had no idea what a "real winter" was until the lake froze over. It'll snow. A lot. From November to about April it's pretty bleak, but the rest of the year it's gorgeous weather. Make sure you have a good coat and gloves.

In regards to living options I think that all depends on you. Downtown is awesome but is getting more and more expensive with all the renovations. Ohio city and the Tremont area (south of downtown) are certainly options. Tremont however has a reputation for having a bunch of scoundrels. It's gone through a gentrification process but all the poor folks have stayed, leading to an increased number of car break-ins. But the nightlife is awesome in Ohio City and Tremont.

I do not recommend the east side unless you like fearing for your life at night. If you venture that way however, live in one of the east sides little bubbles like beachwood, Shaker Heights (which is where the founders of CLE lived) or Cleveland Heights, but I'd avoid that area all together. East Cleveland is extremely poor and can get pretty dangerous. Once you go east of Case Western University and Little Italy you start to enter the danger zone. But Cleveland's Little Italy is badass.

I lived in a neighborhood west of Cleveland called Lakewood, lots of young people, great bars and food. I was close enough to downtown (less than 10 minutes) and my cost of living was extremely reasonable. Traffic is great for a city of its size cause you only have three directions to go. Their interstate system is really well thought out.

I honestly can't recommend Cleveland enough. I transferred to Cincinnati and would go back to Cleveland tomorrow. With the three huge sports teams, the nightlife, food/drink scene and things to do outdoors you can really enjoy yourself there. Hope this helped some, if you have any other questions let me know.
... Wait, really?
NoHo Hank
AG
**** you just posted that. Prolly comes across like stalking. Yeesh, this got weird.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Well...this is awkward....
LayeredTrout
AG
quote:

Not sure what happened here, but I appreciate the reply!

Any thoughts on cost of living comparisons to TX? I would be coming from Houston.
aggiemike02
AG
have you ever lived outside TX?
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
quote:

Any thoughts on cost of living comparisons to TX? I would be coming from Houston
John32f is the Ag I was talking about in my post above.

Where in Houston do you live? Where I lived in Lakewood my rent was like $795 for a pretty big apartment. Downtown Cleveland you're looking at probably $950-1200 for a single bedroom and how big/nice you want it to be. Ohio City and Tremont will be somewhere in between the two.
LayeredTrout
AG
quote:
have you ever lived outside TX?
Yes, I have.
LayeredTrout
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any thoughts on cost of living comparisons to TX? I would be coming from Houston
John32f is the Ag I was talking about in my post above.

Where in Houston do you live? Where I lived in Lakewood my rent was like $795 for a pretty big apartment. Downtown Cleveland you're looking at probably $950-1200 for a single bedroom and how big/nice you want it to be. Ohio City and Tremont will be somewhere in between the two.
Currently own a house Oak Forest in Houston, but we would likely rent for a while to get the lay of the land. These prices seem pretty cheap compared to what I see in Houston, thanks for the feedback.
NoHo Hank
AG
If you do end up moving up here, feel free to shoot me an email, would be happy to help point ya in the right direction -- john thirty two farmer at gmail dot com
aggiejim70
AG
Ditto to what the man said. My wife is from Cleveland and I was pleasantly surprised when I first went up there. One thing though, the locals don't want to hear about the river catching on fire or jokes like that. You won't make a lot of friends bringing that up.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
LayeredTrout
AG
Appreciate the responses. I received an offer last week, and we are headed up next weekend to check out the area.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Let me know what you think. If you're a beer drinker be sure to check out Great Lakes Brewing Co and Platform Brewing.
LayeredTrout
AG
I have accepted my offer, and we will moving up in January (perfect time to move to Cleveland, I know =)).

We liked the area a lot more than expected, and are looking at apartments in Ohio City and Tremont. Really enjoyed both of these areas. Appreciate the help! If anyone is in the area, would be down for grabbing a beer or two once we are up there.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.