Seattle/Vancouver

2,625 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kashchei
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are going to Seattle in July for a night, then taking the Cascades to Vancouver the next day. Anything we should for sure do in either town? We've never been that far West! We're going on an Alaskan Cruise out of Vancouver!

Any tips are appreciated
SeattleAgJr
Things that can be done in a night/morning
Seattle:
- Space Needle
- Walk the waterfront/ride the ferris wheel
- Pike Place Market
- Do a walk on ferry ride from downtown Seattle to Bremerton and back. Do it to enjoy the ride and the scenery

Those will get you the big ticket touristy things that can be done in a couple hours for each activity

Vancouver:
Walk the downtown/waterfront area (very scenic)
Do the aquarium if you can
Stanley Park
Vancouver Lookout
Grouse Mountain, if you have time
PlanoAg98
AG
Rent bikes in downtown Vancouver. You circumvent the entire downtown very easily on bikes. Plus it's much quicker and you won't have to fight for parking. Other things in the downtown area that would loop you are most of the city.

Granville Island
English Bay
Chinatown
Gastown

I'm not sure what there is to explore that was put in for the Olympics. I had moved from Vancouver a year prior to that.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
quote:
Pike Place Market

Definitely enjoyed the fish tossing at Pike Place Fish Market!
PlanoAg98
AG
Assuming their back in business, Ride the Duck tour is a really quick way to see many of the sites of Seattle.
MsC2012
AG
Thanks everyone. We aren't gonna have a car so we'll be using public transportation or taxis. Uber in Seattle!

is there a night life in both cities?
PlanoAg98
AG
quote:
is there a night life in both cities?
Vancouver has a good night life. In my younger partying days, I live in downtown Vancouver for 3 years. There's 4 bar districts in the city.

Granville Street - Everything from pubs to clubs. Great people watching at night.
Gastown - More of your casual bars. Not as many clubs.
Davie Street - Lots of rainbow flags in this area.
Yaletown - Your trendy bars/clubs. Expect to wait in line and dress to impress.

However, the best bar/club in downtown Vancouver, The Yale, closed down a few years ago. It was a great live Blues club. The house band, Brickhouse, was very good and rocked the house. Oh... the stories that came from nights at that place.
shihitemuslim
AG
Eat at Din Tai Fung for the most famous soup dumplings
Woody2006
AG
When in Seattle you'll be 30 minutes from Snoqualmie falls if you are looking for a really awesome view.
Kashchei
AG
Bump

I will probably be in Seattle from May 19 to around the 24th or so, depending on how much I want to do/see. I have never been to the Pacific NW so any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated.

I have been doing a little research and some things I am considering are:

Space Needle - obviously
Gas Works Park - I heard this is a good place to walk around snap pictures of the skyline
Museum of Flight/Boeing Tour - I love museums, and what is cooler than aviation? Is the private Boeing plant tour worth it?
Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum - Number one attraction on all the travel sites.
Pike Place Market - How long should I plan to wander around here?
Mariners Game - if I'm feeling up to it on the 19th or 20th.
Washington State Ferries - I've heard San Juan Island is beatiful.
Amtrack to Vancouver - Never been to Canada, much less Vancouver. Would you recommend spending a day there?

Downtown hotels are pretty expensive, but you pay for the location... Based on the above I'm thinking a Seattle CityPASS is a must. Probably also a bus tour... I like to cram in as much as possible!

Lastly, do you recommend Uber, or is Seattle public transportation viable? I would really rather just walk, but know that isn't feasible for some things.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.