Potentially moving to Charleston, SC

5,957 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
TxAggi2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Relocating from College Station to Charleston, SC in the next couple of months, most likely.

Any Aggies in that area? Any hints/tips/suggestions?
The Fife
I've been here for over 4 years now. There are a few ags here but there is nothing really organized. Maybe a watch party or two will come up this fall.

Where to live in the area really depends on what you're looking for but it does have it all. Downtown (small compared to major cities), suburbia in several flavors similar to what you'd see anywhere, USA and older near-downtown neighborhoods that have more character.

I can email with more info if you provide contact info.
RabbleRouser07
AG
I am potentially looking into this as well. No time table for me but I think my wife and I have this city on our short list for moving to soon (next couple years). We currently live in Dallas but since she is from Georgia and very much a southerner, she hates it here. She wants to get back to coastal living and really I wouldn't mind being near a beach and fishing and outdoor living. I would also like less traffic with a medium sized city. How easy is it to get around? I would like to visit downtown and/or the beach and not have to make a huge day-long trip in order to do that.

Would there be any home areas to steer clear of or schools that we should avoid? We are just now researching potential areas. Charleston keeps popping up because of whats mentioned above and also because of the IT related jobs. I am currently a Manager of Analytics so I believe that I could find a job pretty easily.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I live Downtown part of the time.

Traffic is a bit of a zoo.
The Fife
We live near downtown, across the river from The Citadel. It's perfectly easy to get around this area at least, except Hwy 17 and St Andrews outbound back up some during rush hour. When you get out into suburbia in Summerville/outer West Ashley/Mt Pleasant/... you can get into tons of traffic though. A reverse commute or living somewhere older with less traffic to deal with helps a lot.
Sentinel
AG
Looks like I'll be moving to Charelston by the end of August. I was told West Ashley or Downtown would be a good fit since I'm young and single. The last week of August is coming up fast so I'm trying my best to find a decent place to live.

Traffic is probably a big factor. What's considered "against traffic"? Going out of Charleston or coming in? I'd be commuting to the N. Charleston/Hanahan area.
DAM
AG
Live near cross town then. Some nice townhouses in that area. You'll also be right by the highway to go north. Been here for a year and live in Mount P.

dam
Sentinel
AG
I ended up getting a place in Ladson. It seemed a better deal. Hopefully traffic won't screw me over.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
So, I suggest some type of cigar/beer/ice cream social

I'm pretty sure the Smoking Lamp downtown would be amenable to the idea
Sentinel
AG
Sounds like a great idea. I'll officially be in the area by the end of the month.
DAM
AG
Let's make this happen.

dam
Sentinel
AG
Just saw this. I'm game.
The Fife
I'm down for this.
DAM
AG
Peeps will have to post a method of contact, post them up or send me an email to my spam and I'll collect them dam9779 gmail.

dam
Sentinel
AG
Sent you an email. I guess I could have included a phone number but I didn't think of that til now.
yeahtoast
AG
I'll be in Charleston this weekend for Thanksgiving with wife and her cousin if any of you guys have a favorite spot for game watching?

Sentinel
AG
We're starting up an A&M club here in Charleston. If you're in the area and haven't seen any emails about it, let me know!
Shanerbock06
AG
Have an Aggie friend out there who doesn't do TexAgs, but pretty sure would be interested in the club.

Email him at drummerjkj at the old school hotmail. His name is Jason.
04aggiegirl
AG
My sis (c/o 08) is getting married and we (several other ags) are celebrating with a weekend in Charleston. What are some fun things to do, like best bars, restaurants, etc?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
So:
Great ice Cream: Republic at 431 King (Disclaimer: Its owned by my brother and I, both Ags (I'm '02, he's '04) - but made from scratch, all-natural, and very good.)

Christoph's on George: Great pastry and chocolates

Tricera Coffee on George: Great coffee (Owned by friends. Kudu coffee is also pretty good.) They also serve basic breakfast - not many options for breakfast down town.)

Breton Crepe place on George - best breakfast downtown. Excellent crepes, including breakfast ones, and omelettes.

Belmond place: Upper King - not much of a bachelorette place, but great drinks and nice place

Rue De Jean: John St - good steak au poivre, steak tartare, steak heche, and mescalune salad with duck confit and goat cheese. Also good cocktail - ask Ian or Jimmy or the new guy for the one with the celery stalks

FIG: Great Food. One of the best restaurants in the country. Longer wait, hard to get reservations. Andrew makes great drinks.'

Basil's: Good Duck Salad and Tom ka? soup (bit fuzzy on the soup. The rest can be a bit hit or miss.)

Proof: On king. Good bar, often not as crowded as some of the others.

Hall's Chophouse: Very high end steak place. Good crowd for cocktails, but nothing particularly impressive

Starz lounge: Outdoor patio (I think. Might be getting a bit mixed up. Very popular w. bachelorette parties - usually a place I avoided for that reason.)

There's some dessert bar near McCrady's which is also a hit w. bachelorettes. McCrady's is a great place for drinks - never ate there, as they didn't have options for Celiacs. However, if you're the usual boisterous bachelorette crowd, they may not let you in. Very laid back and quiet place, at least for drinks.

Macroon Boutique - good macrons.

Congress in Mt. Pleasant - if they go out there. Good Mexican

Fiery Ron's Home Team BBQ in West Ashley: Great pork BBQ, excellent pork rinds with pimento cheese - skip the beef BBQ, unless they have beef ribs. They have a downtown location as well, but I usually ran out to the West Ashley one. (As a general rule, beef BBQ/brisket is MUCH better in TX.)

There's a "hotel" which serve great octopus - I can follow up on it for you. (Watch tower, water tower. Can't remember)

Goat Sheep cow has great cheese and wines.

Lianos Dos Palmas: 52 Wentworth - great cigars, made there.

King Leaf on King St: great cigar/hookah lounge which sells normal cigars
04aggiegirl
AG
Wow!! Great list!

We have scheduled a walking tour for Saturday afternoon. Before that I was thinking to hit up the city market and brunch nearby. Those are our only set plans so far.

Besides the Proof and McCradys, any bar other recommendations? Nothing too clubby. The group is pretty chill, but does enjoy dancing to 90s/cover music near the end of the night.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Belmond place is a great bar

FIG has a great bar as well

I can't think of a place w a dance floor in CHS.

Molly Darcy's and the Spanish Galleon are what you would want around Myrtle Beach.

I don't think a bar could afford a dance floor in downtown Charleston.
04aggiegirl
AG
Thanks! I'll try to get everyone to stop by for ice cream
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
And I just remembered the modern dance club downtown- I never go to it because I refuse to wait in line/not be able to hear myself think.

It's also called Republic, it's even near us, which causes some slight confusion but we look nothing like a night club and they look nothing like an ice cream shop so it works out.

Carmella's is the dessert bar.

As an FYI, if you don't know it, don't get too drunk in CHS and walk back at night - at least not alone.

Its rare, but for whatever reason sometimes the thugs and bums decide to hang out and try to cause problems.

Just don't go exploring away from the touristy/high end areas. These days you'd have to go pretty far from where you will probably be, but it's not impossible to walk to some rougher neighborhoods
04aggiegirl
AG
Thanks for the tips- it'll be good to remind the girls to be aware and stay in groups at night.

I'm really looking forward to seeing CHS once again, I've only been once, when I was a fish.

Thanks again!!
Mustang1
AG
Is your shop close to Hyatt Place?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I think so. We are at 431 King. On the corner of King and Warren, across from Hall's Chophouse
MaroonBlood9
AG
Hi y'all! Sorry to steer this away from some amazing recommendations, but I'm looking to possibly move to the Charleston area in the near future. I've been in oil & gas for 7 years and D/FW my entire life, and wanted a change in scenery and profession (I'm a marketing major in an engineering world ).

I visited Savannah recently and loved what I saw of that part of the country (road-tripped up with a friend from near Jacksonville), but have heard that Charleston is the better choice for the 30-ish crowd. This is coming from non-residents, so I was wondering your thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on job searching from afar? I noticed the new A&M club is up and running, and wish I could be attending the happy hours/networking events! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Are you married/attached and are you a man or a woman? I think its a place single-women like visiting, but I think they may have a hard time, socially. (Could be totally wrong.)
Sentinel
AG
Lived in central Florida for a while and didn't really enjoy it. Moved to Charleston and absolutely love it! There's just enough things to do that it isn't overwhelming. Social life is great. If you love food, Charleston definitely doesn't lack in restaurants. Lots of different places to hang out. I play in one of the local kickball leagues which is a great way to make friends.

There seem to be a lot of tech companies in the area. Also, lots of defense industry. Not sure about the marketing field but the job market seems decent.

If you have any specific questions, let us know!
MaroonBlood9
AG
Single/woman, and that's the feeling I got in Savannah. We were constantly surrounded by bachelorette parties, which made it feel like a large-scale Fredericksburg - absolutely great to visit, good for families, but probably not the best for this kind of move.

And thanks for the info Sentinel! It sounds like a great city and definitely more along the lines of what I'm looking for. It seems like it'd be an easy transition from DFW, but still an entirely new experience. I switched from theoretically tossing this idea around to making the decision to move in the last few weeks, so I just have to kick the job search in gear and see what I can find!
Sentinel
AG
I'm a guy so my experience is definitely different.

It's a pretty young crowd the closer you get to downtown. Lots of young couples and single young professionals. Multiple colleges helps keep the population young.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I have had friends of mine ask me to help their daughters, about your age, meet people in CHS.

I'm sure you're fine if you live downtown or on James Island or Park Slope, but some of the family neighborhoods may be a challenge - no different than any other place, I suppose
DAM
AG
If you're single you must live in downtown.

dam
MaroonBlood9
AG
Thank y'all for the input! That helped me get started on my search.

I'll be in town tomorrow-Wednesday exploring some options, if anyone's interested in a happy hour or lunch? Would love to meet up and find out a little more about Charleston! I inconveniently planned this in between all of the club activities. I was going to post this in the club Facebook group too but didn't want to be too presumptuous
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.