Areas to live in/around nashville

4,563 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Golf Nut 04
JimbosHatBarelyFits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have been looking in Donaldson, Madison and Smyrna. House budget is 160-220k. We really like the area around Opryland, especially river glen/river trace neighborhoods. Have heard mixed reviews about that area. Anyone live around there?

Been married a year. Ages 30 & 27. No kids. Somewhat active. We don't really care about living close to downtown, just don't want to be an hour away. Any help would be appreciated.
BowtieAg07
AG
My wife are relocating to Nashville and just went through this process. We did not look on the north side of Nashville because her parents live in Franklin and we did not want to be too far away. But a neighborhood that our real estate agent said was a great up and coming neighborhood was Creive Hall. My wife and MIL drove the neighborhood and really liked it. I don't know how far kids are in the future or how long you plan to be in Nashville but the Creive Hall elementary school is highly rated. You should be able to get a decent house in that price range in that neighborhood. Based on what our agent said you should see a decent return whenever you sell the place.

Sorry I can't be much help on the north side of Nashville but if you have any questions about the neighborhoods on the south side I will probably be able to give you a decent synopsis.
EMc77
AG
PM rbtexan. I think he lives in Smyna.
KY AG
AG
Donelson - probably okay for budget.

Madison - stay away, the ghetto

Smyrna - probably okay

I live in Franklin and am familiar with Williamson County areas, but not good with Davidson County (Nashville proper) neighborhoods. There's a lot of good information on city-data.com, I would look there.

Generally, I would avoid 1) Antioch 2) Bordeaux 3) Madison. East Nashville would probably fit your budget, but it's still slowly being gentrified, so not sure if that would work for you.

Also, this:

AgCat93
AG
We live in Kingston Springs which is west of Nashville in Cheatham County. Quiet area but it's too far from the downtown area and Vanderbilt (where the wife works.)

Make sure you do your homework on the River Glen and River Trace subdivisions as many houses in those areas flooded in the epic 2010 flood.

Smyrna is a nice area as is Murfreesboro. Madison is a bit sketchy but Hendersonville is good (high school mascot is the Commandos).

Donelson is an older area north of the airport. It can be noisy but if low flying aircraft is your thing, you'll be fine.
buckinaggie
Back to the top with this thread. Looking to move the family to the area next year. We have 2 kids (elementary) and while we would like to have a little space (1/2+ acre) to spread out, it isn't mandatory. Budget is $300-$400K and good schools/safe area are at the top of the list. We visited over the summer and really liked the Franklin area.

Any recs on areas that fit our criteria?
90 bull
AG
We live in Franklin, and the $400k budget would be tough if you really want a bigger lot. I think the median home price is around $450k right now in Franklin. As far as area, I think the Clovercroft area on the east side of 65 would be a good value for for that price range. If you want the bigger lot, either further south past Thompson's Station or down 96 east of 65 would be a good area to look
KY AG
AG
buckinaggie said:

Back to the top with this thread. Looking to move the family to the area next year. We have 2 kids (elementary) and while we would like to have a little space (1/2+ acre) to spread out, it isn't mandatory. Budget is $300-$400K and good schools/safe area are at the top of the list. We visited over the summer and really liked the Franklin area.

Any recs on areas that fit our criteria?

Where are you working? Traffic has become the #1 issue lately and everything is a perpetual parking lot.

Franklin can be had for that amount, but definitely not 1/2 acre.
buckinaggie
My office would be located off 24 in Antioch area. Lot size ranks beneath good schools, since I have 2 little ones in elementary. We'd like to stay mid-$300K. If there are any other good areas we should be looking at, please share.

We've only been up there once a few years back, spent a day in Franklin and fell in love. So with my company transferring me, that's all we have to base it off of until we are able to make another trip up and check out the entire city.
90 bull
AG
williamson county schools are recognized as being very good in general. Franklin special school district is considered as being good in places, not as good in others. If you are zoned to Williamson for elementary schools, you should be fine.
Since you are working off 24, I would suggest looking on the east side of 65 for commuting reasons. there is a lot there, so I am sure that a good realtor can point you in the right price range. I have been in Franklin almost five years, and the prices have definitely gone up, but there should be a reasonable selection in that price range. Just be ready to make a quick decision. Homes often don't last long
Let me know if you have any particular questions. when we moved here, we were limited to homes zoned to Franklin High only, since our daughter was about to start high school and wanted a program that was there only. Because of this, my knowledge to other areas of Franklin isn't great, but hopefully I can give you some general ideas.
KY AG
AG
I would definitely look at Nolensville. Working in Antioch you definitely want to stay east of I65 if possible as that's at least an hour's commute at certain times from Franklin. Nolensville gets you good schools, not as expensive housing as Franklin, and closer to Antioch.

90 bull
AG
good idea on Nolensville. still Williamson schools and better home prices.
buckinaggie
Thanks KY AG and 90 bull. Much appreciated. We'll definitely check Nolensville out. Looks like we're heading up the end of December to scope the area out.

Any recs with a good realtor that is familiar with the area?
90 bull
AG
I don't know if she is familiar with that particular area, but we used Jennifer Claxton at Pilkerton Realtors when we moved, and were very pleased. She was very helpful with the inspections, etc, since we were remote during the closing. Her number is 615-371-2474.
KY AG
AG
http://homesforsale.benchmarkrealtytn.com/idx/agent/48260/susie-jackson

Susie knows Williamson County and can help you. Let her know that her Aggie neighbor sent you her way, if she's your choice.
KY AG
AG
Also - I cannot recommend this guy enough. He has saved me a lot of money ( > $30k)and does a very thorough inspection. His only downside is he is in SUPER high demand, so as soon as you feel ready to pull the trigger get him on the phone and schedule him.

http://www.aplushomeinspections.info/about.html
Chipotlemonger
AG
Any update, OP?
Golf Nut 04
AG
I'm in Franklin. Moved here about a year ago. Just built a house in Franklin and closed in October. Love it here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.