travel to Northern California (redwood forests)

1,083 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgLA06
ags4rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this a good place to go or is it filled with pot smoking bums? Any advice?
Bachelor99
AG
yes, this is a good place to go and yes it is filled with pot smoking bums...especially if you visit eureka...it seems the whole town is high on the good stuff....very different vibe from texas. but once you head into the national and surrounding state parks, its fine and beautiful and peaceful. one of our favorite trails is the fern canyon loop trail...very popular trail. we didnt hike too much as this was part of a backpacking trip as we camped on a bluff over looking enderts beach.
AggieOO
my advice is don't worry about the "pot smoking bums" and just have a good time. Its gorgeous out there.

Avenue of the giants is pretty amazing. There are also number of "drive through" trees in the area. Its a cool picture opp, but really not worth the price of admission, IMO.
PerdidoKey2030
AG
About the same number of bums you will find on the Horseshoe on the Guadalupe any given summer Saturday. We spent 5 days in the Redwoods last summer, next time I find a decent priced plane ticket and fits the schedule, would head back out there from IAH. If time is limited, go to Jebediah State Park/Howland Hill Road, this area has a high concentration of big trees - Grove of the Titans/Stout Grove. The Smith River is awesome to spend a day swimming, kayaking, hanging out. We stayed at the Hiouchi Motel, no frills old school roadside motel for the location and right across the street from Redwood River Rides, an outfitter. SeaQuake Brewing was good eats as well. If taking kids, another good spot was renting a room/cabin at Redwood River Resort, this place was straight out of an 80's summer camp movie with its own bar/local craft beers. Good jumping off point for parts south in Humboldt SP, we enjoyed Greg-French-Bell Grove, Founders Grove and Rockefeller Loop. If you want hiking info, check out redwoodhikes.com, I ordered the hard copy maps but you can use the website, all the hiking info you should need. Great family trip, away from big crowds and perfect weather to beat the Texas heat all summer long.
JustPanda
AG
Who cares about "pot smoking bums"? They're harmless. Meth smoking bums, not so much.
MasonB
AG
Hippie, laidback pot smokers - not like LA or SF or Austin pot smokers.

I traveled there with a 9 year old and nothing raised any eyebrows on him and I didn't think it was any worse than Colorado in terms of pot smoking.

Much of the tourist infrastructure is way outdated and the economy of the area is depressed. But the natural beauty is phenomenal.

Pictures don't do it justice, but...

I would go back anytime.

ags4rocks
AG
Nice pics! We are going in a few weeks! Where is that pic with the walkway through the trees?
AgLA06
AG
Don't forget Sequoia National Park is another option. It and King's Canyon were awesome.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.