Barcelona to Madrid day trip. Flight or Train?

1,334 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by moo
jorgerr96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to Barcelona for F1 but thinking of going on a day trip to madrid to see the F1 Exhibition and maybe even an additional museum.

Two options are a flight via Vueling, or the train. I would really like the train but it's a 2.5 hr ride and the flight is actually cheaper, but I am not familiar with that airline at all and would hate to be dealing with the Spirit of Europe.

Anyone got any tips or recs?
AustinScubaAg
AG
Don't fly Vueling think Spirt but worse.
Spore Ag
Vote for very early train, sleep with most train stations centrally located negating excessive airport transfers and security.
schmendeler
AG
Granted, it was in 2009, but flying Vueling BCN to MAD wasn't bad.
jarz94
AG
I would recommend the train. I did this train ride a few months ago. It was very easy to get through the train stations and the trip was about 2 hours.
jorgerr96

Do you remember which train? I see there's one from a French company (Avlo) and one from the main company in Spain (Renfe).
barbacoa taco
AG
Train. Get on and off in the middle of each city and don't deal with big airports. Spain's high speed train network (Renfe) is great.

Also Madrid really should not be a day trip. It's a huge city and there's tons to do. Spend a couple nights there at least.
StinkyPinky
AG
High speed train
eiggA2002
AG
Train as well. When it comes down to it, it will almost certainly be quicker. Plus you are very unlikely to have significant delays on the train and you'll be at Atocha (center of town) versus Barajas or whatever airport domestic flights go into.
jarz94
AG
I rode with Renfe.
jorgerr96

Think I will do the train. Planning on hitting F1 Exhibition first thing in the morning, any other reccs welcome. Museums, arts, music priority.
jorgerr96

Can't do more than 1 day I think. Monday arrival and just going to roam around Barcelona that day. Wednesday I plan to go to Ferrari Land for their roller coaster (4th fastest in the world) and probably roam more at night. Thursday I have an event at the race track. And then Friday-Sunday whole day at the races.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Museums, arts, music priority.

Museums:
Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Thyssen-Bornemisza are the big 3.
The Prado is the most famous & one of the top museums in the world. I also enjoyed the Reina Sofia, it has Picasso's "Guernica" which is damned impressive (it's huge & the backstory makes it more interesting)
You used to be able to buy a pass for all three museums.... you wouldn't have time for that though.

For me, I enjoyed going to the Bullfights (not on acid) and Flamenco (would qualify for your music priority) shows more than the museums.
True Spanish experiences IMO.
eiggA2002
AG
Mercado San Miguel
Ag CPA
AG
The train trip is cool, a good part of the terrain looks like you are flying through South Texas.
AgEng98
Eat suckling pig at Los Galayos.
Joseydog
AG
Train. Station is in the middle of Madrid and you only have to be at the station around 20 minutes prior.
moo
AG
Vote for train as well. Stress free and enjoyable. If doing arts, I also liked the Picasso museum while in Barcelona. The Prado in Madrid is expansive and has a ton to go through.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.