Hawaii recommendations

3,385 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by EliteElectric
Postal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to Hawaii for work 11-14 April. Decided to travel there earlier to hang out with the wife from 7-10 April. I'll have a rental car and staying in Honolulu, and we just want to see sights, hang at beaches, eat good food. Please pass any recommendations if you have them.
zoneag
Watch sunrise on Lanikai beach and then grab brunch at Cinnamon's in Kailua. Paia fish market in Waikiki has outstanding seafood. I usually get the Mahi mahi plate or the ono burger.
muleshoe
AG
Pearl Harbor, and yes, you can still smell and see the oil/fuel. Words can't describe it….humbling, chilling….

Royal Hawaiian Hotel….Waikiki Beach…. Historic pink hotel on the beach. Can't miss it. Mai Tai bar is great….hotel is like warp back in time….

https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/photo-tour/
scoodogg
AG
Since you have a car, use one of your days to make the loop going up to the north shore.

Possible stops (many more than this):
Halona Blowhole Lookout
Makapu'u Point Lighthouse
Nuuanu Pali Lookout
Kualoa Ranch
Waimea Valley
Polynesian Cultural Center (this will eat up a lot of time)
Haleiwa (town and beaches)
If wanting to hit Giovanni's shrimp truck, just drive past the line and go to Jenny's shrimp truck.
Dole Plantation (if that's your thing)
EclipseAg
AG
muleshoe said:

Pearl Harbor, and yes, you can still smell and see the oil/fuel. Words can't describe it….humbling, chilling….

Royal Hawaiian Hotel….Waikiki Beach…. Historic pink hotel on the beach. Can't miss it. Mai Tai bar is great….hotel is like warp back in time….

We spent several hours at the Royal Hawaiian back in January. Amazing place. It really is like stepping back in time.

The Mai Tai bar was great. They serve a specially made Royal Hawaiian Hibiscus hefeweizen made by Waikiki Brewing that was fantastic.
EclipseAg
AG
We stayed at Ko Olina -- about 30 minutes from downtown Honolulu -- so we ate most of our meals out that way. But if you venture that far, Mina's Fish House at the Four Seasons was great and so was Longhi's at the Marriott.

Both outdoor dining experiences.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Is maui a lot more expensive than other islands?
murphyag
AG
EclipseAg said:

muleshoe said:

We spent several hours at the Royal Hawaiian back in January. Amazing place. It really is like stepping back in time.

The Mai Tai bar was great. They serve a specially made Royal Hawaiian Hibiscus hefeweizen made by Waikiki Brewing that was fantastic.
Agree with this. Totally worth spending time looking around the Royal Hawaiian and having a drink at the Mai Tai bar.

Island Vintage coffee- Coconut Macadamia latte was a big hit with the female coffee drinkers in our group.

Lanikai beach is a good day trip paired with Kailua for eating and shopping. Parking is tricky at Lanikai. Your best bet is to park at Kailua Beach Park and walk over to Lanikai.

Pearl Harbour is a must do

I also enjoy going to the North Shore

Tim Ho Wan is a Michelin star restaurant that is the cheapest Michelin star place in the world.
muleshoe
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Is maui a lot more expensive than other islands?

Tricky question, depends on where you want to stay. The more popular islands, Maui, Oahu, Kaui, Big island….they all will have very nice resorts, cheaper ones, VRBOs….you name it and you can probably find something these days…
Jock 07
AG
If you're driving up to Camp Smith have fun parking. Also, if you want to see the Missouri you can just drive right up to it on Ford Island with your CaC and not have to mess with taking the bus over from the AZ visitors center.

My wife and I enjoyed snorkeling in hanauma bay
Postal
AG
Thanks for the replies!
jaggiemaggie
AG
Piggybacking on this thread for hotel recommendations in Oahu for family of (kids 5,8).

Thanks
murphyag
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Piggybacking on this thread for hotel recommendations in Oahu for family of (kids 5,8).

Thanks
Are you wanting to stay on Waikiki Beach or another part of the island? There is also a Disney hotel on Oahu. Would that be something you are looking for? I guess list some of the amenities you are looking for and that will help us give you some recommendations.
LondonAg89
AG
I'm in Oahu this weekend. Sushi ii is excellent for sushi but you must have a reservation
metrag06
AG
We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian for a few nights a couple years ago. It is great but the Mai Tai bar is usually pretty crowded.

You can order drinks to go at the counter and skip the wait - go sit in the lobby just inside from bar, it's much quieter and gives the feel of being there back in the 1930s or 1940s.
EclipseAg
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Thanks
I would definitely choose Aulani with kids.

It's Disney enough for kids but not overly so. We had no children in our group and had a great time there. Lazy river, several pools, beautiful lagoon beach with water sports, etc., etc.

Plus, the end of the island isn't nearly as crowded as Waikiki.
metrag06
AG
I agree - we usually stay at Marriott Ko Olina next door but did a night at Aulani with the kids last time. Ours were of a similar age and LOVED it, although that's probably as much due to the water slides and snow cones as the Disney touches.

Wife and I enjoyed a night there as well but it is expensive - not sure I'd want to do a full week there unless my plan was to just post up at the hotel for week. If you are going to be exploring the island and doing other things I'd find another hotel.
LondonAg89
AG
zoneag said:

Watch sunrise on Lanikai beach and then grab brunch at Cinnamon's in Kailua. Paia fish market in Waikiki has outstanding seafood. I usually get the Mahi mahi plate or the ono burger.

Just had Paia fish market for lunch! The mahi was fantastic. Don't sleep on the shrimp tacos!

Thank you for the rec !
jaggiemaggie
AG
It doesn't look like there's any availability at Aulani the first week of June. I should have clarified that it will be my family, my parents and in laws and my BIl and his wife and kid so a total of 11 Brother in laws wife is looking at either the Outrigger or the Royal Hawaiian
LondonAg89
AG
murphyag
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

It doesn't look like there's any availability at Aulani the first week of June. I should have clarified that it will be my family, my parents and in laws and my BIl and his wife and kid so a total of 11 Brother in laws wife is looking at either the Outrigger or the Royal Hawaiian
The Royal Hawaiian has a small pool, but guests get to use the big pool next door at the Sheraton. Just fyi in case anyone is worried about the pool size at Royal Hawaiian. The pool at RH is usually pretty peaceful because kids usually head next door to the Sheraton pool.
agracer
AG
If you go to Pearl Harbor, take the bus to the other side and tour the Battleship Missouri. If you like history/engineering, pay extra for the guided tour to the engine room.There is also an air museum on the other side.
cbminers
AG
If you have an ounce of patriot in you, Pearl Harbor is a must.

Find Giovanni's Shrimp Truck.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Just get OUT of Honolulu. Upgrade your car to a convertible, get a good guidebook, and go see the north shore, the east side of the island, etc. There is plenty of beauty on Oahu but Honolulu is kind of like if you scooted Houston up to Galveston beach (well, to be fair, the beach is far prettier than Galvesto) but Honolulu is big, congested, urban, and the rest of the island is quaint, small, beautiful.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Family booked outrigger reef Lookjng for recommendations for restaurants Nothing fancy
EliteElectric
We always stay at Aulani and love it, it is expensive though. I cannot go to Oahu without visiting North Shore, it's one of my favorite places on earth. I could wander around Haleiwa all day! We also usually visit Dole Plantation, Kaneohe Bay, and Waikiki Beach while there, and I believe every American should visit Pearl Harbor. If you only have time to do one thing do that.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.