European Honeymoon Ideas (Germany/Italy)

1,696 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by razor63
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are planning our honeymoon for this summer (May-August) and are currently leaning towards a European destination.

I have been to Europe a few times (England, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria), however, my wife hasnt been out of the country (except for Mexico). We are thinking about spending 2-2.5 weeks and are currently looking at southern Germany/Austria and Italy.

Looking for any recommendations on what is a MUST see in these areas given the time we will be in country. Currently I am thinking about a week in Germany/Austria (Munich and Salzburg) and then 8-10 days in Italy.

Ive driven a car every time I've visited, but would be open to trains as my wife doesn't want to 'wing it'.

TIA
TXCityAggie
AG
With 8-10 days in Italy I'd start in Rome, rent a car and spend a few days visiting different small towns in Tuscany, and end in Florence.
mrad85
AG
TXCityAggie said:

With 8-10 days in Italy I start in Rome, rent a car and spend a few days visiting different small towns in Tuscany, and end in Florence.

That's a good plan, but we prefer start in Milan and work our way down the coast to Rome, then back up through Florence to Venice. Good train connections as well
chickencoupe16
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

My wife and I are planning our honeymoon for this summer (May-August) and are currently leaning towards a European destination.

I have been to Europe a few times (England, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria), however, my wife hasnt been out of the country (except for Mexico). We are thinking about spending 2-2.5 weeks and are currently looking at southern Germany/Austria and Italy.

Looking for any recommendations on what is a MUST see in these areas given the time we will be in country. Currently I am thinking about a week in Germany/Austria (Munich and Salzburg) and then 8-10 days in Italy.

Ive driven a car every time I've visited, but would be open to trains as my wife doesn't want to 'wing it'.

TIA
If you're interested in history and can swing it with the wife, The Eagle's Nest and Dachau. In fact, do the Eagle's Nest even if you're not interested in history; the views are spectacular.

Neuschwanstein is fantastic, though can get very busy. Linderhof Palace was less busy when we went and just as great. Ehrenberg Castle and its suspension bridge were a neat 1-2 hour stop while driving. I don't know that I would go out of the way but if it's on your way somewhere, it could be worth a stop.

I also recommend trying to stay with a local family at some point. We booked the 3rd floor of an Austrian home on our honeymoon and wound up spending the night hanging out with them instead of going out into town. It's one of our better memories. It was a complete coincidence for us but I know there are some websites that you can book such an experience through.
The Lost
Sounds more like a trip than honeymoon, but obviously everyone travels different. I'd go Greece/Italy or something further south.

Dachau's worth a trip one day, but doesn't scream honeymoon, quite the opposite really.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

TIA
If you're interested in history and can swing it with the wife, The Eagle's Nest and Dachau. In fact, so the Eagle's Nest even if you're not interested in history. The views are spectacular.

Neuschwanstein is fantastic, though can get very busy. Linderhof Palace was less busy when we went and just as great. Ehrenberg Castle and its suspension bridge were a neat 1-2 hour stop while driving. I don't know that I would go out of the way but if it's on your way somewhere, it could be worth a stop.

I also recommend trying to stay with a local family at some point. We booked the 3rd floor of an Austrian home on our honeymoon and wound up spending the night hanging out with them instead of going out into town. It's one of our better memories. It was a complete coincidence for us but I know there are some websites that you can book such an experience through.

Thanks. Definitely have Neuschwanstein and the Eagles Nest on the list. I've been to both but the eagles nest was a last minute addition to my last trip and I wasn't able to do the full tour in addition to it being incredibly cloudy I don't feel like I got the full experience.

I am a history buff and had Dachau on the list but my wife doesn't want to do that particular stop on the honeymoon.
TXTransplant
For a honeymoon, I think the Amalfi Coast is a must-do. Don't get me wrong, I love Rome, Florence, Tuscany, and Venice, but for a honeymoon, I'd definitely prioritize Amalfi Coast.
Furlock Bones
AG
This is what my wife and I did. Only in reverse. We started in Florence went through Tuscany and the coast. Ended in Rome. We both agreed we would start in Rome next time and end in Florence.

Rome is big. There is so much to see. Better to see it when you are fresh. Florence is much more compact.
An Ag in CO
AG
If I had that much time and it was a honeymoon I would definitely prioritize immersion over movement. If it's two weeks with one in Germany and one in Italy the Italian leg for me would be five days in the Tuscan countryside and then 2 days in Firenze. But I could just as easily do 7 days in Firenze - do the tourist things, take a cooking class together, learn about the local wines, enjoy the local cuisine at a leisurely pace, hot air balloon ride, hang out at the Sant'Ambrogio Market and buy everything you need for a picnic, etc. Okay, I haven't been of any help and have really just talked myself into a week in Firenze.

Same program would work for Germany - Pick your hub and split your time between a small town out in the country and then 2 days in the city. Bavaria is good for this, but there are plenty of options - Heidelberg area also allows for Strasbourg in France, but Frankfurt isn't overly exciting.
Here4Beer
AG
Everyone is different and when it comes to your Honeymoon it's all about preference. My wife and I went to Oktoberfest for a few days then Prague for 3 days then spent 5 days in Tuscany before a final 2 in Rome. For us it was the perfect mix of action and relaxing.
A couple recommendations:
1. Don't travel to Europe in August.
2. Your wife doesn't seem like the well experienced traveler like you are, I would stick to one country to reduce that stress. Remember this is your honeymoon, embrace that b/c good lord willing it's the only one you'll ever have.
3. Italy out of the three you mentioned has the most to offer. Tuscan/Umbrian vineyards, amalfi sun and water, Rome city/history. With a time frame like yours you can truly maximize relaxation but also get in quite a bit of fun and action.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
+1 for the Amalfi Coast.

Positano is fantastic, and a good base to get around to Ravello, Capri, Ischia, etc.

Don't miss La Tagliata for dinner one night!
TXCityAggie
AG
I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't love the Amalfi Coast. The setting was certainly beautiful, but I found it to be overpriced and crowded. I much preferred the small towns of Tuscany. It's easy to escape the crowds there as it seems most tourists congregate to the 4-5 most well known towns. We loved to just drive and pick out random places to visit along the way. We were never disappointed.
ChoppinDs40
AG
We did Bavaria (Munich) then flew to Split Croatia and did 7 days on a catamaran sailing down the Dalmatian coast. Then flew to Paris for a few days before heading home.

Croatia was magical and we would definitely do the boat trip again.
razor63
AG
Cinque Terre is a beautiful place for a honeymoon. Not as pricey as the amalfi coast. We rented a car and drove from Florence then hopped on a train that went to five coastal villages. Rented a house on the side of cliff overlooking the ocean. A really cool place to explore. Excellent seafood, scenery, hiking etc. - we loved it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.