Boutique Resort Suggestions - Belize/Caribbean

2,915 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by warrington74
SMeyer11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking to go somewhere in May/June for our anniversary. We would rather go to a smaller resort instead of a big all inclusive.

We have been to Chabil Mar and Victoria House in Belize and really loved both of those so looking for something similar. We may just go back to Chabil Mar but wanted to consider a few other options first.

Has anyone stayed at other similar resorts in Belize? I have heard good things about Chaa Creek and Hamanasi.

Or if anyone has suggestions on other locations besides Belize we are definitely open to that as well! We just want something fairly easy to get to.

Thanks!
txags92
AG
What kinds of activities are you interested in while you are there? Fishing, diving, snorkeling, hiking, laying on the beach with a drink? Depending on your answers, there are lots of other options out there.
AustinCountyAg
we are currently booked at beloved in playa mujeres for our anniversary next year. it is supposed to be more boutique style
SMeyer11
AG
Our main goal is to get away from kids and relax for a little bit. Somewhere pretty quiet and private. So a beach for sure.

We would like to do a few activities but enjoy pretty much everything. I enjoy fishing. We both like hiking. We don't scuba dive but have had fun snorkeling before. we have thought about a beach/jungle option which I know is possible in Belize to get a little of both.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
We really enjoyed Coco Plum in Belize. Small island, adults only and all inclusive but there are only like 16 cabanas so not crowded. Incredible snorkeling right there on the reef. Folks went fishing in the morning and they brought their catch back and walked around with a huge platter serving everyone at dinner. Great couples massage and the staff knows your name on the first day. Can do excursions or stay on the island and chill. Lots of honeymooners and anniversary guests. Only drawback is there isn't a huge beach due to erosion over the years. Fantastic service too.
amymc72
AG
My husband and I have been to Belize a ton. Looking outside Ambergis, we really enjoyed Turtle Inn in Placencia. Also would recommend Esencia just south of Playa del Carmen. Both are fantastic!
AustinCountyAg
amymc72 said:

My husband and I have been to Belize a ton. Looking outside Ambergis, we really enjoyed Turtle Inn in Placencia. Also would recommend Esencia just south of Playa del Carmen. Both are fantastic!
can you expand on Placencia? I've been researching it some this morning and it kind of comes off to me so far as similar to Tulum? Has some cool old school beach bar/restraunts but also some more modern upscale type of places? Everything seems walkable or bike ride to most locations if you stay down south? How clean, safe is it? How would you compare it to say Ambergris Key?

The Chicken Ranch
AG
Hamanisi.

If you dive, Turneffe Island Reaort.
amymc72
AG
So Turtle Inn is a bit outside of Placencia proper, but we were able to bike into town. A number of high end restaurants in the area that the hotel provided transportation to. I thought the town seemed completely safe - and I have always felt safe on Ambergis as well. We did several day trips arranged through the hotel - snorkeling around a tiny uninhabited island, jungle tour. Turtle Inn was very nice with top-notch service.
BSD
AG
Placencia is where the whale sharks hang out. I haven't swam with them there (only isla Mujeres) but if you're that way, look into it.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Turtle Inn is a favorite in Belize as is Naia Resort...

Some other client and travel agency favorites:
- Boardwalk Boutique Hotel Aruba
- Baoase in Curacao
- Blue Waters in Antigua
- Eden Roc Cap Cana in DR
- Calabash Cove in St. Lucia
- Como Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos

There really are some great boutique options out there!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
JimmyHouston
AG
My wife and I have stayed at Table Rock lodge twice which is very close to Chaa Creek. It's small and we love it there. Very private rooms and good, simple food. Maybe not as fancy as others but I can't imagine much better places out there.
MS08
AG
amymc72 said:

+1 for Turtle Inn part of the Coppola resort chain. Also, their Blancaneux lodge more in the rainforest is a treat too.
SMeyer11
AG
For anyone that stayed at Turtle Inn - how is the food? We are narrowing down to a few places in Placencia and I have heard the restaurants at Turtle Inn are some of the best.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Haven't been since we got married over 15 years ago, but Ti Kaye in St. Lucia was perfect.

There are a few bougier (and much more expensive) places on St. Lucia, but this was absolute perfect for us.

We had an "ocean front cottage with plunge pool" which means it had its own hot tub sized air-temp lounging pool.

Food and drinks were great. We'd have the fridge stocked daily with cokes, St Lucian rum, and Piton beers. Hang out on the 2 person hammock and read, go to the beach and snorkle around the reef, etc.
Take the trash out staff.
HtownAg92
AG
Horning in -- we're going to Belize for family trip in July. We want to split the trip -- half on the beach and half in the jungle. Any recs on more family-friendly beachside hotels (we don't usually do AI) and jungle lodges?
JMac03
AG
I have a close travel agent friend onsite right now. She said it wasn't quite as luxury as she thought it would be. The food was one of the biggest complaints.
Garrelli 5000
AG
That's a shame to hear re: food. We don't do much resort travel so not much to compare to, but we enjoyed it back at the time.

Agree with luxury not high, but it's a great mixture of beautiful and ?rustic? Maybe charming is a better descriptor.
Take the trash out staff.
87Flyfisher
AG
My wife and I ran a high end fly fishing lodge in Belize and we had deals with a lot of other lodges that allowed us to visit for free when we were on our breaks.

For private beaches we liked Shaka Caye the best.

Sleeping Giant was the winner for jungles and mountains.
AustinCountyAg
87Flyfisher said:

My wife and I ran a high end fly fishing lodge in Belize and we had deals with a lot of other lodges that allowed us to visit for free when we were on our breaks.

For private beaches we liked Shaka Caye the best.

Sleeping Giant was the winner for jungles and mountains.

looking online that place looks pretty nice. how long can one stay there before getting bored? Is that like a week long destination type of place or just for a weekend?
87Flyfisher
AG
We stayed 4 days and felt that was short.

If you and whoever you are with are going to enjoy all of the nature walks, kayaking on the Sibun River, touring the Mayan Cave on the property, hanging out by the really nice pool and maybe doing on offsite excursion like cave tubing then it is no problem to spend a week there. I think they still have a package where you spend a few days at Sleeping Giant and then shuttle you to their Jaguar Reef property.

I hiked to the top of a small hill on the property that has a gazebo on top. Watching the sunrise while listening to Howler Monkeys and having Scarlet Macaws and other birds fly by is something I will always remember.

View from the jacuzzi at one of the cliffside suites.
JM04
AG
87. Where did you work. I was at Turneffe flats from 2005-2007

Back then we worked with Chas creek and Victoria's house.
87Flyfisher
AG
El Pescador on Ambergris Caye
warrington74
AG
Grand residences puerto morales
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.