Planning a Two Week Trip to Europe

1,024 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by barbacoa taco
CREAg87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am planning a trip for the end of summer/early fall- likely flying out the beginning of September around Labor Day. I am 35 (would 36 at the time of the trip) and have no real requirements for the trip other than visiting family in Germany (Mannheim to be exact). I am trying to figure out a balance of seeing as much as I can without going crazy and running to a new city everyday. Some of my initial thoughts on the trip are below and any advice would be appreciated.

1) Would it make sense to fly into one place and fly back though another? i.e. fly into Heathrow but return from Frankfort? If I did this, I'd take the Eurostar to Paris and then another train to Germany.

2) If just fly into Germany, is it practical for me to spend a few days with family and then go to Munich, Prague, and possibly Budapest? I'd also like to see more of southern Germany/Bavaria so I may have to prioritize which areas I want to see the most.

3) Some of the flights I have looked at have layovers of 6-10 hours- is that enough time to leave the airport if I am in a city like Copenhagen?

4) Is Berlin worth a trip? I'd look to take the train there from Frankfort or Munich.

I'll add more as I think of it.
wessimo
AG
Flying into one place and out of another can be a great way to maximize your trip and see more cities without having to backtrack. If you have the time and budget for it, it's definitely worth considering. The Eurostar is a great way to get from London to Paris, and then you can take a train from Paris to Germany. Keep in mind that you may need to pay extra for a one-way rental car or drop-off fees if you plan on renting a car.

It is practical to spend a few days with family and then visit Munich, Prague, and Budapest. However, keep in mind that you'll need to account for travel time between these cities, which can eat up a significant portion of your trip. Southern Germany and Bavaria have plenty to offer, so prioritize your must-see destinations and plan your itinerary accordingly. You may want to consider taking a guided tour to maximize your time and ensure you don't miss anything.

It's possible to leave the airport during a layover of 6-10 hours, but it depends on the airport's proximity to the city center and the transportation options available. Copenhagen Airport is about 20 minutes from the city center by train, so you may have enough time to explore the city for a few hours. However, make sure to leave enough time to get back to the airport and go through security before your next flight.

Berlin is definitely worth a trip, especially if you're interested in history and culture. It's easy to reach by train from Frankfurt or Munich, and there are plenty of things to see and do, from visiting the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie to exploring the city's museums and galleries. Consider spending a few days there to fully experience the city.
Stat Monitor Repairman
South to north is an option I'd look at.

Rome, Florence, Milan/Como, Zurich, Basel, Mannheim, Frankfurt, Amsterdam.

Vienna is a good starting point if you want to stay east, but you'd have to go back west to get to Mannheim/Frankfurt.

I'd take a look at a site called trainline.eu for planning and good deals on discounted train tickets.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Family, Munich (Oktoberfest baby!), Wien (Vienna) then Budapest. Home.
Wicked Good Ag
What are your interests when you travel ??
CREAg87
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

What are your interests when you travel ??
Military history is big thing for me
barbacoa taco
AG

Quote:

1) Would it make sense to fly into one place and fly back though another? i.e. fly into Heathrow but return from Frankfort? If I did this, I'd take the Eurostar to Paris and then another train to Germany.
Absolutely. IMO that's the best way to travel when you're abroad.
Quote:

2) If just fly into Germany, is it practical for me to spend a few days with family and then go to Munich, Prague, and possibly Budapest? I'd also like to see more of southern Germany/Bavaria so I may have to prioritize which areas I want to see the most.
Yes, all doable as they are in close proximity. I'd recommend you stick to cities that are relatively close together like that so you aren't jumping around the continent. 2-3 hour train rides are nothing compared to going to the airport every time you need to travel.

Quote:

3) Some of the flights I have looked at have layovers of 6-10 hours- is that enough time to leave the airport if I am in a city like Copenhagen?
Depends on the city. Not sure about Copenhagen but I once had a 5 hour layover in Amsterdam and left the airport and made it back with time to spare. Some airports are pretty close to the city centers (Amsterdam) and some are not (Paris). But they all have good metros that will maximize your time.

Quote:

4) Is Berlin worth a trip? I'd look to take the train there from Frankfort or Munich.
Yes! Berlin and Munich are definitely worth seeing. If you have to skip one place I'd say skip Frankfurt, just use it as your port of entry/exit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.