Oregon in 1-2 days - recommendations needed

1,322 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RangerRick9211
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Visiting family in Oregon this July with wife/kids. Fly into Portland, and meeting other family on the central coast for a few days after being on our own some. Looking for recommendations on what we can see in the state over the course of 1-2 days. Probably arrive late morning Thurs, and need to be on the road to the coast by Fri evening or maybe early Sat morning.

Primary focus are waterfalls and other scenic areas (photography). Hikes need to be on the shorter side and not overly strenuous due to time constraints and kids.

-Not interested in Portland/urban attractions.
-Columbia River Gorge area is definitely on the list, but any specific advice/trails appreciated.
-Worth trying to get down to Crater Lake NP given the time constraints? Are there quick worthy stops between the Portland area or Crater Lake to central coast? Just seems remote and we don't necessarily want to spend all our time in the car for one destination.
-Mt. Hood area? Or Bend? Skied at both many times in my childhood, but never anything else.
-Sites near Yachats (central coast)? Family we're meeting know and live in the area, but will still listen to any tips especially for the in/out.

Good area(s) to stay for 1-2 nights as a base of operations? One concern I have is I am reading about a lot of car break-ins at the trailheads. So, if possible may want to base out of a hotel some where we can offload our luggage. I guess if any sites are within a paywall (such as a National or State park that has monitored/paid entry), it wouldn't be as big of a concern.

Thanks!

RangerRick9211
AG
Copy pasta. I live in PDX for outdoor reasons, but just landed in Budapest for the work week and can barely formulate a thought (delay at PDX, obvs delay at f'ing LHR = 1AM at the hotel).

Gorge stuffs for another poster: https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3366501/replies/64436023
YouBet
AG
You didn't mention it but if you like wine you've got one of the best Pinot regions on the planet right there in Williamette.

I recommend The Black Walnut Inn out there in wine country. No break ins out there unless Portlandia has migrated.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Silver Falls State Park would fit y'all's needs nicely. Relatively easy hike with tons of waterfalls (10 total if you take the entire 7 mile loop). About an hour south of Portland.
SJEAg
AG
Thanks! Thoughts on the worthiness of Crater Lake or the Mt Hood hiking areas? No wine stops unfortunately.
Aggiewes
AG
Went on an Oregon Trip with my wife for our 30th in 2019. Incredible trip.

1. It's a long way to Crater Lake from PDX. However, it was incredible. The boat tour was fabulous.
2. We also enjoyed Jerry's rogue river boats in Gold Beach
3. If you go to the Columbia River Gorge, we had a blast picking cherries at an orchard near Hood River. That orchard was FULL of families with kids and they were having a BLAST (faces were red from eating cherries straight off the tree)!!!!
4. Mt Hood was incredible. We were there in July and rode the ski lift up and hiked. Easy hiking with a beautiful view of the top!

Have fun!

Wes '87
barbacoa taco
AG
If you can swing it I recommend Samuel Boardman state scenic corridor. It's on the southwest coast near the CA border. It's a bit isolated but holy *** it is gorgeous. And very serene and peaceful. If you make it down there you'll be glad you did. You can spend the night in nearby Gold Beach or Coos Bay.

The Oregon coast is fantastic.
StinkyPinky
AG
SJEAg said:

Thanks! Thoughts on the worthiness of Crater Lake or the Mt Hood hiking areas? No wine stops unfortunately.

My Hood National Forrest has amazing hiking. Lots of great trails on the side of the mountain and awesome lakes. Clear Lake and Trillium Lake worth checking out. Hikes in the Columbia River Gorge also amazing. Lots of options. Between those two and Silver Falls, you have some amazing country to explore.
RangerRick9211
AG
StinkyPinky said:

SJEAg said:

My Hood National Forrest has amazing hiking. Lots of great trails on the side of the mountain and awesome lakes. Clear Lake and Trillium Lake worth checking out. Hikes in the Columbia River Gorge also amazing. Lots of options. Between those two and Silver Falls, you have some amazing country to explore.

I know Trillium and Mirror are the most famous.

But the best, hands down, for views and kayaking is Lost Lake. It's quieter as well being on the N flank that's harder to access.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/travel/2022/08/lost-lake-is-a-perfect-mount-hood-getaway-with-incredible-views.html%3foutputType=amp
RangerRick9211
AG
Oh, specific to July and hiking Hood. There is one, very special fact of Hood: the Palmer glacier.

Timberline farms snow all winter and keeps the Magic Mile open until ~August. You'll see every ski team: national, Olympic, etc. on the snow during the summer.

So ski! Or take the quad up to Palmer and hike to Illumination rock. Others: Tamanawa falls, McNeil point, Tom, Dick and Harry to Mirror Lake, Little Crater Lake, Umbrella / Sahalie falls and Cooper Spur (check out the old Tillie Jane A-frame).
StinkyPinky
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

StinkyPinky said:

SJEAg said:

I know Trillium and Mirror are the most famous.

But the best, hands down, for views and kayaking is Lost Lake. It's quieter as well being on the N flank that's harder to access.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/travel/2022/08/lost-lake-is-a-perfect-mount-hood-getaway-with-incredible-views.html%3foutputType=amp

Yea, forgot to include that as well. I'm a photography nerd so have spent a ton of time there for landscape photography. Awesome hike around the lake as well
RangerRick9211
AG
Dope.

Honestly, we've been here 3 years and it wasn't until last year my wife told me about Lost Lake. And the outdoor, weekend adventure is kinda my thing and I had no idea.

You drive through lots of twisty burn and cut forest from Hood River. I'm also always carrying a Sony Alpha, got to the general store parking and was so what. BUT, cross the little levy single-lane and it all lands. Just special.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.