Svalbard Island

1,256 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WaltonGroggins13
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone been to Svalbard? Going to be in the area and got the opportunity to go.

More a bucket list item than for any legitimate purpose. Plan would be to fly in, stay overnight and gtfo back to mainland.

Any experience here?
OilManAg91
AG
Always wanted to go after flying over it several times. Look forward to hearing about the trip.
Spore Ag
Svalbard is one of my favorite sites. The town Longyearbyen is great. If you go outside of the town one should have a weapon for polar bears. Even though it is Norwegian it is quite international with several countries having representatives there. One can still see the derigible towers where explorers gassed up to explore or be the first to the N. Pole. I just finished a 33 day trip from Argentina to NZ on a 91 foot Dutch ship. Met quite a few residents on board who live there and with their stories it makes me want to go back soon.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
" just finished a 33 day trip from Argentina to NZ on a 91 foot Dutch ship."

I think we all need moreā€¦.
Spore Ag
I will make a post but my trip was not for everyone. The voyage was helicopter supported which allowed exceptional landings like severely isolated Peter 1 island glacier, the 600 mile long Ross Ice shelf, the ice less Dry Valleys observing estimated 780 year old mummified crab eater seals. The air transport also allowed access to the famous huts of Shakleton, Scott and Borkgrevick as well as visual spotting of the rare Arneaux Beaked whale as well as 3 out of the 4 orca catagories.
Ship held 86 passengers with 36 being German and only 5 Americans. I would do it again with some being their 4th trip.

Sea Speed
AG
Uhhhhhhh. This sounds like my actual heaven.
WaltonGroggins13
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.