Cannon Beach, OR

2,641 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieOO
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I tried searching the travel forum, but only came up with a couple mentions. Wife and I will be heading to Oregon in a few weeks. Starting the trip in Cascade Locks where her and her brother are running a race. I'll probably kill time at breweries in that area while they run (its a long ass race). The day after the race, we'll drop my brother-in-law off at PDX and head to the coast. We will be staying in the Cannon Beach area. Trip is shortly after our anniversary and we'll be kidless, so we are treating those couple days as an anniversary trip. Looking for suggestions on things to see/do, and some restaurant recommendations.

We are very active and outdoorsy generally. We like craft beer and red wine. Wife will likely be hobbling around a bit, so strenuous hiking will probably be out, but still interested in moving around and hopefully seeing some stuff. Wife has never been to Oregon at all. I've been up there quite a bit, but not for probably 15 years and I've not been up to Cannon beach. Though I've seen a big chunk of the Oregon coast.

Added note, my wife's cousin lives in Eugene (i've been there a couple times), so we might pop down there to see her, then drive out to the coast and work our way up to Cannon Beach. I've been on the Oregon coast all the way up to Lincoln City, but I was on a bicycle and it was over multiple days, so have no concept of how long that drive would be. I know it's pretty, but I not sure if we want to potentially spend the entire day driving.

Also open to any suggestions of things along the way that might be interesting since we'll cover a bit of ground. In the Columbia River Gorge, we'll obviously see Multnomah Falls (and several others). Her race actually goes through there on the trail.
Aggiewes
AG
We had a great time in Hood River. The Bonneville Dam on the Columbia was a nice stop going west from PDX. You have Multnomah Falls on your list. Really nice but popular.

On the coast, we particularly enjoyed Tillamook (actually Oceanside), Yachats and Gold Beach. Saw a ton of whales (literally like 20 different whales) in Depoe Bay. The town was not our favorite of the trip. Nothing wrong with it just not our favorite. Not sure when you are going but the river trips from Jerry's rogue river boats in Gold Beach were a highlight of our trip. They start in May.

Roseanna's was the best restaurant we visited in Oregon (Oceanside) and we highly recommend.

Have fun!

Wes '87
OilManAg91
AG
In Manzanita go to MacGregor's Whiskey bar for the best cherry whiskey sour and the Winery at Manzanita just down the street is great as well. Lastly, Short Sand beach is really great.
Greener Acres
AG
If you're heading out to Multnomah Falls and Hood River you might want to head south to the towns of Mt. Hood and Parkdale. I recall that its a nice drive but in Parkdale there is a brewery called Solera. Its in an old building on the main drag and the windows on the back side face Mt. Hood. Pretty cool place to sit and have a drink with an amazing view.

I have always thought the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum near McMinnville was cool but we did that in the days before my wife ran the Portland Marathon. It might be too much walking/standing afterwards unless you guys are aviation geeks. The Spruce Goose is there.

You'll find plenty of easy hiking opportunities along the gorge so that should be easy. We did some of those post-race and it wasn't too bad for her. Beer seemed to help.
RangerRick9211
AG
OilManAg91 said:

In Manzanita go to MacGregor's Whiskey bar for the best cherry whiskey sour and the Winery at Manzanita just down the street is great as well. Lastly, Short Sand beach is really great.
You nailed it. Manzanita has some of the best overlooks on the 101. Short Sand is a secluded cove that meanders through Oswald State to get there. It's my favorite old growth (spruce in this case) hike in all of Oregon. When we take folks to the coast it's always Haystack and those two stops (and ice cream at Tillamook on the way home).

I'm in PDX and spend every weekend driving 84 to Hood.

The Gorge - Troutdale:

The Gorge - Cascade Locks:

The Gorge - Hood River / Parkdale:

Heading to Cannon Beach, you could take the direct route on 26. Or meander 99W through wine country: Newberg, Dundee, Dayton, McMinnville, etc. Which is another topic all itself.

Cannon Beach:
Bachelor99
AG
not familiar with my oregon geography as i have never been but if you are in the area you might want to hit up silver falls state park....i hear there are 10 waterfalls on the main trail in the park....
AggieOO
thanks all. these are some great starting points to look at!

Definitely looking for more info on the coast portion than the gorge portion. The schedule will be full while we are out in cascade locks. I might be able to swing a short hike, but I'll be crewing and possibly pacing for them during the race. So I can't disappear for the whole day. Both of them will be shot the day after the race, so it'll be a lazy recovery day. that said, appreciate any info and will happily consider/review options, even if they are in the gorge area. Only reason I mentioned Multnomah is I assumed it would be recommended. I've been there before and the wife will see it during the race. Not making a special trip there.

Quote:

• Activity: Meh, I've seen Multnomah Falls so many times. A very special gem is Wahclella Falls: [url=https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge/wahclella-falls-loop.html][/url]https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge/wahclella-falls-loop.html. Not to get fru-fru, but there's something about walking through the burn of Eagle Creek fire right up to an epic waterfall. In the summer we swim right to it. Here are some photos from two weeks ago when we took my in-laws: [url=https://imgur.com/a/IzoE2Pk][/url]https://imgur.com/a/IzoE2Pk.

one of the aid stations is at the Wahclella Falls trailhead, so if i time it right, maybe i can hike/run up there. Thanks for the pictures!
RangerRick9211
AG
Oh, it's the waterfalls race.

Thanks for the reminder to avoid the Gorge that weekend.

If you find yourself in HR, we're at Pfriem literally every Saturday after skiing.
Apache
AG
Check on Oneonta Gorge on the way to Hood River. Slot canyon, PNW style.
This was an amazing hike, you will get wet & you'll probably need to swim a little bit.

Get there early, this place is surreal.

AggieOO
Apache said:

This was an amazing hike, you will get wet & you'll probably need to swim a little bit.

Apache
AG
Bummer. Just re-read the original post, said your wife will be hobbling around a little bit.
The gorge trip probably wouldn't work. In addition to the water, there was a pretty good sized log jam you had to crawl over & around (Think 100 telephone pole sized fir/spruce logs tossed together like pick up sticks jammed into a section of the slot canyon)
AggieOO
i'm putting it on the list for a return trip.
RangerRick9211
AG
Oneonta Gorge is still closed because of the fire.

So def next time!
Potcake
AG
We did a daytrip from Portland to Cannon Beach in October 2017. A lot of the way we were paralleling the Wilson River. The foliage, rapids, and waterfalls were awesome. The Haystacks were really cool. Had lunch at Wayfarer and returned to Portland via Tilamook where we saw my favorite sign ever.
Pirate04
AG
Apache said:

This one is absolutely going on my bucket list for my time in OR!
Steeltoe05
AG
Here is my post about Cannon Beach from a couple years ago.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3264742/replies/61235772#61235772
Fairview
AG
Just got back week before last from a trip to Oregon with my son doing college visits. Flew to Eugene and hit that area up, then on to Corvallis, then drove up the coast to Astoria to see all the Goonies sites including Cannon beach then on to Portland. Super fun trip.

In Astoria we stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel. It's over the water on a pier and super nice. Highly recommend.

PerdidoKey2030
AG
Took a 10-day trip last summer from Portland/Cannon Beach to San Fran with family. Brigham Fish Market between the Locks and Bridge of the Gods is worth stopping for salmon right out of the river. Cannon Beach - spent an afternoon at Public Coast Brewing, great patio to kickback. Spent a day at Ecola State Park which was outstanding, where Indian Beach is located, famous movie spots for Goonies, Point Break & Twilight in the park. Really enjoyed Clatskop Loop Trail going counter-clockwise, takes you up old logging trail through old growth, then to WWII lookout over Pacific Ocean, various other lookouts, then down to Indian Beach - 3 teenagers made it with some minor complaining. Another vote for Ecola Seafood Market and a vote for Suzy Scoops ice cream, about the only place in town not charging the tourist rate. Coming over from Eugene, might hit Depoe Bay, not much to town, but whale watching on a Zodiak was memorable, and check out Whale Bites Cafe IF the patio is open, overlooking the marina/few seal lions under bridge. Plenty of info on the Redwoods if needed...
billyjack2009
I recommend Kelly's Brighton Marina for crabbing. Super fun.
AggieOO
thanks all, and keep 'em coming if you got any more suggestions.
RangerRick9211
AG
PerdidoKey2030 said:

Brigham Fish Market

Hah, I've honestly parked in front of this place 50 times to grab a beer at Thunder Island. Never once have I eaten there. It always smells like, well, fish. Like overwhelming from the parallel parking spot on the street. I'll have to give it a go!

Cascade Locks is fun! It's the lowest point on the PCT and they really hang their hat on it. They also shutdown the little downtown area for every little reason to host a festival. Just a goofy place with good IPAs.

Breweries are built for kids in OR, Thunder Island especially. Solid kids menu, play area, and dinosaur toys you take to the table. Just a dope place if you have littles. Govy500 IPA in honor of my every Saturday trying to ski at Meadows.
AggieOO
Looks like instead of going all the way down to Eugene to see my wife's cousin, we are going to meeting her in the Salem area for a day. Any winery recommendations in that area?
AggieOO
Appreciate all the help. Trip was great, and we hit quite a few of the recommendations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.