How long of a flight is too long?

7,304 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
mrad85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm still recovering from my last journey.

AUS - DFW - Tokyo - Okinawa

Okinawa - Tokyo - LAX- AUS

I'm trying to plan for another trip back to visit my son and his family, but I swear it's going to be a month recovery from this one.

Longest leg was 13 1/2 hrs DFW - Tokyo.

I will say Japan Airlines is VERY good.

Anyone have any good tricks for survival?

Edit for: I've made many trips to South America and Europe, but never had this problem
CanyonAg77
AG
Paging HollywoodBQ
AustinScubaAg
AG
Well the longest commercial flight is close to 19 hours. Excluding about 20 routes though most are less than 17 hours. Longest I have done is 16 hours which is nit fun.

Total time anything more than 24 hours sucks. From Austin that will be most flights to Asia
OilManAg91
AG
I've made numerous +16 hr flights from IAH to DOH / DXB / AUH / PEK / CTU / SIN in business class lie flat seats. So it totally depends on the class of service. If flying economy then going to Honolulu or London / Paris / Munich is about the limit for me… 8 - 10 hrs. Longer than that then I need to stay a night in a hotel and catch a connection. But business class 16 hrs goes by in a flash.

But this is for a non-stop flight. If you are talking a total connection then 24-36 hrs is not that uncommon, but that totally sucks even in business class.

But agree that HollywoodBQ is the authority
HollywoodBQ
AG
Y'all are too kind.

There's a "conventional wisdom" rule of thumb I've heard before which says that every time zone you cross takes about 1 day to adjust. I don't really buy that per se but, I find that it takes about 2-3 days to adjust each way.

During the 2010s, I was traveling between Sydney and San Francisco for work about 5-6 times a year with occasional trips to South Asia and Europe.

I had a system worked out like this for Eastbound across the International Data Line:
Before I would leave for San Francisco, I would get as tired as I could. Whether it was staying out late with friends or staying up late getting everything ready before my trip (paying bills, packing clothes, etc.), or wrapping up projects I needed to finish before my trip.

This allowed me to carry that sleep debt on the plane with me for the 14-15 hour flight to the USA. It's very important that you stay hydrated and eat regularly too.

The one crutch I would use was pre-flight alcohol consumption. I would hit the airline lounge and slam 4 of the highest strength beers I could find (maybe only 3 if it was the Air New Zealand Lounge because they stock good beers). This strategy assured that as soon as I sat down in my seat and they pushed back from the gate, I was out like a light for 90+ minutes at the start of the flight. Then they would serve a meal. Eat it.

After that, it was a mix of watching movies, sleeping, the occasional tour of the airplane, walking around the Economy cabin.

Still on Day 1 because of the International Date Line, you arrive in the USA in the morning (before you left) and it was usually midday by the time I had the rental car and had cleared the airport. I never had any problem going out and running around doing stuff until supper time. After that, you're at a point where your body is starting to wake up for the next day but you've got to go to sleep. If you're tired enough, you should be able to get to bed before midnight. If not, I might drink a few more heavy beers in the hotel bar to help knock me out.
  • That's Day 1. You go to bed a good 30 hours after you woke up that morning (on paper)
What you have to watch out for is what I call, "the whip" which happens on Day 3.
  • Day 2, you wake up at a semi-normal time in the new time zone. You have to get out of bed and get going on that new day. Do not sleep past 10am. Go about your day, take your meals at the regular lunch and dinner times. Force yourself to go to bed before midnight. You can use some alcohol if you want to. But you have to resist the temptation to stay out late.
  • Day 3, you're up at 6am, ready to go to work. This is where it gets dangerous. You run though the day on adrenaline and after dinner that evening, your body decides that two days of trickery is enough and it's going to force you to revert to your Day 0 time zone. So what happens for me is that I can't get to sleep that night. I'll be up until 4am and wake up at 6am to get ready for Day 4 on 2 hours sleep.
  • Day 4, power through that day, crash hard that evening, sleep for 8-10 hours and you'll be right as rain for Day 5.
Now reverse the course for the Westbound travel across the International Date Line.

For Australia, the flights leave in the evening between 10pm - midnight.
I realize the Japan flights leave midday. Back in Feb. 2020, I flew from IAH-NRT on ANA where we left about 10:30 am and arrived about 4:30 pm the next day.

You'll want to be carrying that sleep deficit so you can get some sleep on the flight.
For Australia flights, I'd pound a few beers, enough to knock me out but not so many that I got knocked out before I boarded the plane.
For Japan, things are pretty normal time wise so no need to try to fall asleep right away.

Same mix of movies, sleep, eat, drink, explore the cabin.
  • Day 1 - the day you departed the USA
  • Day 2 (or Day 3 if going to Australia. Because of the International Date Line and the late departure from the US, Day 2 never happens) - the day you arrive in the Eastern Hemisphere. On Day 2, the main thing is that you must force yourself to remain awake until 7pm at the bare minimum. 10pm is preferable. Your body is acclimated to US time so it's going to want to start going to sleep early in the afternoon. You must push through that.
  • Day 3 - you should be able to wake up at a normal time and proceed through a normal day resisting the urge to go to sleep in the afternoon.
  • Day 4 - you should be fully adjusted to the new time zone.
One point of interest in doing this today versus a few years ago, with the limited flights these days, you're probably going to be on a 787 for the long haul which is a good thing. The 787 pressurizes the cabin at 6,000 ft elevation instead of 7,000 feet elevation like you'd find on the older 777 or effectively defunct 747s. Sounds trivial but it does make a difference.

That's my long winded written explanation of how I handle the time adjustment when traveling across the International Date Line. Hope that helps.

In my experience as described here, it is much easier to travel Westbound than it is to travel Eastbound.
Front Range Ag
AG
Thank you for the detailed reply. It's timely information for me.

I'e got a DFW to IST in Thursday on a 787. I have a long layover (roughly 15 hrs) then onto ATH Saturday morning. Same itinerary in reverse next week.

This gives me an idea of what to expect.
TXCityAggie
AG
The Houston to Singapore flight with a 2 hour stop in Manchester is pretty brutal. The only saving grace is that Singapore Airlines is comfortable. I'd rather take the longer flight with SA than fly United across the Pacific to get there.
scd88
AG
I've done Newark to Mumbai nonstop in economy. Luckily my kids were preteens so they didn't take up much space. That was a long ass flight. Even longer coming back from New Delhi to Newark. I feel like it was a 16-17 hour flight.

I think what class you're flying plays such a big factor, though. Went from Abu Dhabi to Chicago last year in business class and the time went by quickly.
OilManAg91
AG
With a 15 yr layover in IST you have more than enough time to take a taxi from the airport to Istanbul and enjoy a fabulous dinner and drinks looking over the Bosporus. I have done this 4 or 5 times in the past couple of years and it is always very worthwhile. An 8 hour layover is enough to make going into town worthwhile, so 15 hours is more than enough time. I imagine you will last mid afternoon so you can be at a rooftop bar watching the sunset by 6 pm and then go get dinner at any number of 4 or 5 star restaurants and then head back to the airport around midnight with several hours to spare. Search for Istanbul threads as I and others have posted on how to make the trip work best.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I flew from Houston to Singapore and Singapore back to Houston.

On the Houston to Singapore flight my wife lost her baby and miscarried. Four months later we got pregnant again. On the way home back to Houston from Singapore, my wife miscarried not even 10 hours after we got off the plane. Both miscarriages happened shortly after getting off the plane. We have no proof that the long flights caused the miscarriages, but it was strangely coincidental.
scd88
AG
Oh man, that's terrible. So sorry that happened.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Damn... Sorry for your losses. Miscarriages are common but still tough.

Since I usually travel alone, I hadn't thought about any pregnancy considerations. Although I sure did see a lot of heavily pregnant Chinese women arriving at LAX every time I travelled through there.

The method I described above is hard on the body and the mind. It's intended for necessary business travel where you've got to adjust to the new time zone and deliver or execute your mission and then go home within a week or two.

Traveling with kids, pregnant wife, etc., I'd consider the traditional travel methods where you have a few stops along the way.

Since I was born the year after the 747's first flight, I've only known long haul flights for major international trips - 14 hours nonstop from JFK to Dhahran, KSA.

But, I've read stories from some of the older folks who were Aramco Brats in the 1950s and 1960s. They have glorious stories about taking 4-5 days by air to get from California to Saudi Arabia. Stopping off in the US, Europe, Athens, Beirut, Cairo, etc. Just listening to them talk about the Lockheed Constellation with a bed sounded amazing.

Might be time to consider brining that back as so much of the world is just flyover country now.
lexofer
AG
I did Houston to Sydney just before COVID. Work pays for business class but I get 1/3 of the price difference if I go economy. Coworkers thought I was crazy going economy, but for $4k I'd hang out in the luggage compartment. I just slept and watched movies, didn't seem like a big deal.

I also did EWR to Singapore and on the way back Singapore to LAX but that was Singapore Air business class (before I knew about the travel incentive) and it was awesome. I've been on 3 of the 10 longest commercial flights, all followed by another 4+ hours flight, Sydney to Perth and EWR/LAX to IAH.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thats a hell of a good deal on that 1/3rd
Front Range Ag
AG
Thanks. I think you've given me these suggestions before. Yes, my layovers are 15.5 and 20.5 hours. I've got time in spades.
Schall 02
AG
One consideration: alcohol deprives you of rest. You may be asleep, but your body isnt getting rest. (Elevated heart rate, processing, etc.)
fire09
AG
Business class makes over the pond easy. If thats not an option, To be in top shape, water and zquil are the go to. Booze is going to give you a couple hours of poor sleep followed by dehydration and a fight to recover in non ideal conditions.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Schall 02 said:

One consideration: alcohol deprives you of rest. You may be asleep, but your body isnt getting rest. (Elevated heart rate, processing, etc.)
Yeah, like I said it is a crutch I use when I need to make sure that I'm knocked out.
You also need to stay well hydrated. Long haul air travel dehydrates you big time.

When I was traveling that frequently, it was because I was delivering presentations, training, sales calls, etc. A lot of times there would be a lot of stressful preparation leading up to the event so I needed a way to relax and take my mind off the what-ifs.

As an example, one of the events that I delivered was for a conference in Vegas where I trained 700+ of our technical staff. I spent 2 days rebuilding 144 laptops followed by 5 days stuck in a conference room at the Mirage. And if it didn't work, it was my butt on the line. Lots of adrenaline and emotion working on those gigs.
HollywoodBQ
AG
fire09 said:

Business class makes over the pond easy. If thats not an option, To be in top shape, water and zquil are the go to. Booze is going to give you a couple hours of poor sleep followed by dehydration and a fight to recover in non ideal conditions.
Flying between the USA and Australia about 100 times, I've seen at least 10 medical emergencies.
Lots of folks are not in any kind of physical condition to be doing a 14 hour flight.

Must stay hydrated for sure. When they bring the tray of water by, take a drink.

As far as alcohol, with the limited number of A380 flights available these days, the self-service booze and partying at the front of the Qantas A380 Upper Deck are essentially at thing of the past.

One of the most epic trips was with two Royal Navy Officers who were heading to Las Vegas for one of the guy's 50th Birthday. Believe it or not, even when you're trapped on the plane for 14 hours, at some point, you can reach your limit of Jack Daniels. Fun times.
aglaohfour
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

I flew from Houston to Singapore and Singapore back to Houston.

On the Houston to Singapore flight my wife lost her baby and miscarried. Four months later we got pregnant again. On the way home back to Houston from Singapore, my wife miscarried not even 10 hours after we got off the plane. Both miscarriages happened shortly after getting off the plane. We have no proof that the long flights caused the miscarriages, but it was strangely coincidental.

I'm so, so sorry that happened. I can't imagine how traumatic it must have been to go through that on a plane.

Please forgive me if I'm overstepping, but did your wife's doctor test her for the Factor V (blood clotting) gene? I'm by no means an expert, but a friend recently learned that this was the cause of her two miscarriages and the doctor said that some crazy high percentage (I think it was over 60%) of recurrent miscarriages are linked this. She said most women are totally unaware they have it until they've experienced multiple miscarriages, though it is easily treatable in early pregnancy. It would kind of make sense given the link between long haul flights and blood clots.
TXCityAggie
AG
I once took an ambien cr with a glass of red wine with the first meal on a flight from Houston to Japan. Next thing I knew we were in Tokyo. Never even woke up to use the restroom once on the flight.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
TXCityAggie said:

I once took an ambien cr with a glass of red wine with the first meal on a flight from Houston to Japan. Next thing I knew we were in Tokyo. Never even woke up to use the restroom once on the flight.

You must be a young man or wore an astronaut diaper.
fire09
AG
There gave been many people who combine that and never wake up, including a good friend of mine who thought that was the answer to fast forwarding a long haul flight. Use carefully.
EMY92
AG
lexofer get 50% of the price difference for this seating class.

Fairview
AG
Starting 2 days ago I was in a smaller city in India. Flew from there to Hyderabad on Indigo (surprisingly decent if you pay the $7 upcharge for an exit row). Then took a 3:00 am flight from Hyderabad to Doha and purposefully didn't sleep on it.

Jumped on the 16 hour Doha to DFW flight and slept and much as I could. That helped pass time but get me close to US time from the 12.5 hour time difference. Still a long ass flight. I was in a QSuite though so can't complain too much. Just spent the night at DFW and am waiting on my last flight.

As others have said the secret is flying business or first. It would've been miserable in economy.
RightWingConspirator
AG
No problem at all. I don't mind answering questions about it at all. This was 15 years ago so we've gotten over it. It was hard on my wife, particularly the return trip and discovery a mere 10 hours after we got off the plane, but we have three wonderful daughters and so we just moved on.

My wife tells me that on our third successful pregnancy (semi-successful - youngest was a twin; her sister/brother did not make it) her doctor put her on a blood thinner. Maybe this was him addressing this blood issue you wrote about?

We're now past the years of wanting more children so I guess the miscarriages will just remain a mystery to us. To keep it topic related, I would never take a long flight like that with a pregnant wife again, but that's just us. I'm sure it happens every day, but for us, we wouldn't take that risk again even in business class which we flew on the flight there and back.
mrad85
AG
Thank you for all the responses!

And condolences to all for their (some devastating) experiences.

I've booked a return trip for next summer. (Misery loves company).

My wife and I are taking two of my grand-kids, so Business class was out the window, but did upgrade to Economy plus on Delta from LAX - HND.

Totally avoided DFW - HND, so the longest leg is 9.5 hrs.

I'm doing all miles, so the trip is very convoluted.

AUS - LAX - American - Econ Premium

LAX - HND - Delta Econ Plus

HND - OKA Japan Airlines Business Class

Same return.

Stat Monitor Repairman
How long is that connection at LAX coming and going?
mrad85
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

How long is that connection at LAX coming and going?
2 hrs outbound, but we have TSA pre-check

Won't check luggage till LAX for Delta flight

A tad bit shorter than I wanted, but it was hard enough setting it all up on miles

5.5 hrs inbound

A tad bit longer than I wanted, but again, miles

StinkyPinky
AG
I've made the trip from DFW to Perth Australia many times (lived in Perth for 5 years, and have made many return trips after moving back to Texas. Longest leg was DFW to Sydney which was 17 hours. Also have broken it up by stops in LA and Hawaii (Dallas option only came available in the last 10-15 years. After Sydney, I still had another 4.5 hour flight to get across the country to Perth. No trick to get used to this dramatic of a time change other than forcing your body into a regular season patter by fighting tiredness during the day and winding your body when you are wide awake at night. But some people make the mistake of NOT taking a nap during the day when you are absolutely struggling. Naps actually help, but make sure you regulate for only an hour or so. Now, getting up from said nap will be the hardest thing you possible have had to do, but it is still less that forcing your body of zero sleep when it feel deprived. This is the very reason why I tell people if they want to go to Australia for vacation, it has to be a two week trip minimum to justify time change and time spent on airplanes.
fire09
AG
I'm adjusting my answer. I just boarded a flight where a passenger (houston dash player) brought on a great dane as a service dog and didn't buy him a seat. She is on the bulkhead but the whole plane is laughing at the poor SOB who is sitting next to her. So, it all depends on your companion....
Counterpoint
AG
Bonzer103 said:

I've made the trip from DFW to Perth Australia many times (lived in Perth for 5 years, and have made many return trips after moving back to Texas. Longest leg was DFW to Sydney which was 17 hours. Also have broken it up by stops in LA and Hawaii (Dallas option only came available in the last 10-15 years. After Sydney, I still had another 4.5 hour flight to get across the country to Perth. No trick to get used to this dramatic of a time change other than forcing your body into a regular season patter by fighting tiredness during the day and winding your body when you are wide awake at night. But some people make the mistake of NOT taking a nap during the day when you are absolutely struggling. Naps actually help, but make sure you regulate for only an hour or so. Now, getting up from said nap will be the hardest thing you possible have had to do, but it is still less that forcing your body of zero sleep when it feel deprived. This is the very reason why I tell people if they want to go to Australia for vacation, it has to be a two week trip minimum to justify time change and time spent on airplanes.

Username checks out!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Great Dane - wow, that's nuts
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I grew up in Okinawa and currently live near Tokyo. I honestly don't mind the Tokyo - Houston direct flight. Way better than having a layover somewhere and a longer travel day. Pre-covid we went home to visit at least once a year.

The worst was when I lived on Sado Island and had a 3.5 hour ferry ride, a 1.5 hour flight to Tokyo, the flight from Tokyo - Houston, and then a car ride from Houston to College Station.
htxag09
AG
Schall 02 said:

I find it odd how common of knowledge it is that alcohol prevents any good sleep and recovery but people always say it as the first thing to help sleep on long haul flights. May help you fall asleep and time go by, but isn't going to do anything for recovery and helping with jet lag.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.