Ireland- Must sees?

4,077 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Potcake
Legend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will have 10 days (starting in Dublin) in June with my wife and two high school aged kids. I hear we don't want to spend too much time in Dublin. The trip can end anywhere that I can fly back to London for a few days there before returning to US (I don't need London itinerary).

What are the true highlights? I would rather go fewer places than feel like we are on the move every single day and packing/repacking.

I know different people will have different suggestions and we probably can't go wrong, but would appreciate any tips. I also don't want to spend the whole trip driving a rental car on the wrong side of the road rushing from site to site or town to town. I'd like to be able to relax a little and enjoy a few pints at the pub.

TW1993
AG
Spend a couple of days in Dublin, but for us the real Ireland is out in the country and small towns. Dingle is great. The Ring of Kerry or the Beara Peninsula. Highly recommend taking the ferry over to Kilronan in the Aran Islands for a day or two. The Connemara area is beautiful. Really enjoyed Kilkenny and The Rock of Cashel. If they are still doing the boat trips over to the Skellig Islands from Portmagee, definitely want to consider doing that. If you haven't used them before, Rick Steves guidebook for Ireland will definitely help with planning a trip.
Harry Stone
AG
basically all of western ireland is great, from sligo to kilarney.
yocod
AG
Consider renting a car once you leave Dublin. All the other cities are very easy to get around/park, and driving on the left is fairly easy once you get going. Maybe avoid a manual transmission if you go that route. On our last visit, I believe we took a train to Cork and spent a few nights, then rented a car at the airport there and went on to do the Ring of Kerry, and an overnight in Killarney. From there, we went up and stayed at Dromoland Castle, which has a lot of on-site, outdoor activities, but is also very close to Limerick and Ennis, and not far from Galway for a day trip. If you're out that way, the Cliffs of Moher are a bit obligatory, and worth it, especially if you're driving and not stuck with a group. Plus, all that is close to Shannon which will fly you to London. Oh, also Glendalough, outside of Dublin, is awesome. Slainte!
Wahoo82
AG
Lookup Liam Bourke's Ireland. May be a bit hard to find but he is on tripadvisor now. Give him a call or email and he can design you a fantastic tour of places often seen and those unseen based on your preferences. He seems to know everyone in Ireland and they all know and like him.
AggieZUUL
AG
Most valuable tip of the day: Get additional car insurance... 80% chance you break off a side mirror on the country roads.

Killarney is one of my favorite areas in Ireland. The Muckross House is worth a tour.

As previous poster said, Dingle is amazing.. Have a pint or four at Dick Mack's.
Of course, Cliffs of Moher are spectacular. The golf is a must, particularly the local courses... expect to pull your clubs. I played a round at Newcastle West just south of Adare and it's in the middle of nowhere. Quintessential Ireland right there.
BwdAg
AG
Fly to London from Knock.

Drive Northern Ireland (game of thrones) and do Galway.

Or drive to dingle like mentioned above. Go to Aran island. Drive over the pass to Galway and the fly out of knock.

wessimo
AG
https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3093730/replies/62143452#62143452
Ags2013
AG
I am headed in late March and booked hotels around itinerary one on this website. I'm not going to completely follow it but it seemed interesting. Particularly Wicklow and Kilkenny.

https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/one-week-in-ireland/
aggiedata
AG
Do not kiss the Blarney Stone! This is not an Irish tradition but an American one. My Irish co workers make it a point to remind me of their drunken antics. I would advise anyone against it.
arrow
AG
Ireland was our first trip to Europe so there was a lot of novelty to simply sitting in pubs, drinking Guinness and Smithwick's, and listening to music. I'd like to go back and do more of just that.

Hiking the Gap of Dunloe area, Midleton Distillery Tour, and the Rock of Cashel were highlights for me.
Cliffs of Moher are iconic and worth it if you have time.

We loved Dublin and Killarney. We also stayed in Cork and Galway.

ETA:
We took a train south out of Dublin to get a car in Wexford. Then drove clockwise around and flew out of Shannon.
StinkyPinky
AG
arrow said:

Ireland was our first trip to Europe so there was a lot of novelty to simply sitting in pubs, drinking Guinness and Smithwick's, and listening to music. I'd like to go back and do more of just that.

Hiking the Gap of Dunloe area, Midleton Distillery Tour, and the Rock of Cashel were highlights for me.

ETA:
We took a train south out of Dublin to get a car in Wexford. Then drove clockwise around and flew out of Shannon.
This. I travel to Ireland (Galway) twice a year for work and would agree with this.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Go to a Hurling match greatest sport you have never seen
CoolaidWade
AG
I just got back two days ago and had a blast. Was only there for three days but loved it.

Just did Dublin, Galway, and saw the Cliffs of Moher. Would recommend all three.
twk
AG
Quote:

Most valuable tip of the day: Get additional car insurance... 80% chance you break off a side mirror on the country roads.
Blue star for you. I wasn't driving but we did manage to break off the side mirror (on a parked car in a small town). If you've never driven on the left, the key is to hug the center line because that's the only distance you can judge properly. We never got off on any tiny country roads, but I could see those being a real problem as well. Same rule would apply -- get as close as you can on the right side because you have no hope of accurately judging the left.
EMY92
AG
I did not get the additional insurance when I went. My credit card is one of the few that covers insurance in Ireland.

The roads are extremely narrow. One the Ring of Kerry, the Jetta I was driving was hitting the lane marking turtles on both sides. When you get off the major routes, the roads get narrower. You can easily tell if the oncoming driver is a local, they don't slow down. Folks not used to driving on the left slow to a crawl.
Duckhook
AG
To confirm what others have said about driving/car insurance, this is considered a 2-way road in Ireland.
elizabethoblock
Rent a car and drive to the Cliffs of Moher, the drive is really pretty and the cliffs are not far from Gallway, which was really fun and the food was really good. Its a great day trip, and especially if you are going in the summer when the weather is nicer.
RAT90
AG
Driving in the country is great and as others have said it just takes some time to get used to it. However, try to avoid driving in the country at night. It is pitch black and can be daunting, especially if the road looks like the picture above - trees and hedges/overgrowth on a road that fits two vehicles sparingly.
Danger Mouse
AG
StinkyPinky said:

arrow said:

ETA:
This. I travel to Ireland (Galway) twice a year for work and would agree with this.
Just booked a trip to Ireland for June for my bday. Would like to spend time out west, and particularly Galway. Any recommendations on lodging, dining, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
StinkyPinky
AG
Danger Mouse said:

StinkyPinky said:

arrow said:

ETA:
Just booked a trip to Ireland for June for my bday. Would like to spend time out west, and particularly Galway. Any recommendations on lodging, dining, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Easiest advice is to stay in or next to Latin Quarter and/or Eyre Square. House Hotel is a good spot, but there is a ton of options. June is tourist season so book early. There are restaurants galore in the Latin Quarter so ample options for fresh seafood, local, and ethnic varieties.
Danger Mouse
AG
Thanks!!!!!
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Thunder18
AG
Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula and Cliffs of Moher are all spectacular. We enjoyed staying at bed and breakfasts for most of our trip, just be aware that there is usually not much in the way of a/c and most homes don't have ceiling fans
annieag91
AG
Skip the silly blarney stone. If you have kids with you, I would definitely try to get up to Giants Causeway., also the rope bridge up there. Dingle, Ring of Kerry a must see. In Dublin, the jail and Guiness might be fun for them. The Burren was fun to walk around, lots of wild ponies. Cliffs of Mohr and a boat to one of the islands fun as well. We flew in to Dublin and jumped in a car immediately and left. Drove around the island and then spent the last 2 days in Dublin after ditching the car. Then flew back from Dublin.
Wahoo82
AG
Cliffs of Moher are good and the "must see" place you want to tell everyone you saw. Cliffs of Kilkee are 10x better and there are very few tourists. Try to do both if you can.
Danger Mouse
AG
On the last leg of our trip.

Flew into Dublin, then drove anti-clockwise to:

Galway (stayed at the House Hotel).

Cliffs of Moher

Doolin

Killarney

Dingle

Ring of Kerry

Cork

Kilkenny

Waterford

Dublin

Presently spending Fathers Day in Howth.

Favorite part of the trip was Cliffs of Moher, Dingle Peninsula, Killarney, and the Circle of Kerry. The weather has been fantastic, so we have had spectacular views. Would like to spend more time in Killarney next trip since it was my favorite of Irish cities.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Potcake
AG
In case soneone decides they really love Ireland.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/travel-news-ireland-homes-grants/index.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.