Europe in December

1,985 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Slim Isle
AggieMainland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there any places in Europe that are not too terrible to visit in December? I will have free time in Europe and trying to make the best of the cold/dark weather.

General ideas:

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Salzburg
Munich
Berlin
Other German cities?
Budapest

Spain/Portugal is a possibility as well but not as preferred as Central Europe.

Not interested in (visited recently):

Prague
Vienna
Poland in general
Travelag08
I spent a couple hours in Ljubljana, Slovenia on a trip this summer and thought it was great! Wish I had more time there. Great bridges and architecture, cute shops, good food.
schmendeler
AG
Rome wasn't bad and was fairly nicely decorated. I think it doesn't compete with German cities, though, from what I've heard.
et98
AG
Of those you listed, I'd vote Budapest as #1, Munich as #2, Berlin as distinctly #3, and Salzburg as a very very distant #4. I can't speak to the others on your list that you hadn't already nixed. The only other Gerrman or eastern European cities I'm familiar with during wintertime would rank below Berlin, although I'd imagine there are several smaller cities that would be amazing.

Budapest:
I spent almost a month in Budapest in late December to mid January. I love this city and surrounding communities. Best history museums you'll find in eastern Europe, and it's absolutely beautiful. It has the architectural beauty of Prague but adds the georgraphical beauty of Buda. I might also describe it as a combo of Prague & Vienna, but better than both.
I think Budapest does a great job of maximizing the winter beauty of the Danube a litte more than most cities do with their rivers. Christmas Markets are some of the best in Europe.
Budapest also has thermal baths that are hot all year long. Thermal baths when it's 15 degrees outside is an awesome experience that you won't find elsewhere in Europe like you do in Budapest.
And the bars, restaurants, & nightlife are excellent & diverse. Something there for everyone regardless of what suits you.

Munich:
Bavaria is my favorite part of Europe. I've never been there in December, but I love German Christmas Markets and eastern European Christmas markets, and I've heard the Bavarian Christmas Markets of Munich are excellent. And the beer & beer halls are excellent any time of year.
As great as Munich is, the surrounding areas of Bavaria are even better. If you enjoy skiing & have the time, you could head south to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
A snow-covered Neuschwanstein Castle would likely be one of the better photos you might ever take, and Linderhoff Palace would have to be beautiful this time of year.
I bet Partnach Gorge would be fascinating when it's below freezing, assuming it would be open.
If you have even more time & the weather permits (although it often doesn't during the winter), you should go to the Eagle's Nest. The Eagle's Nest covered in snow & ice is arguably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Regardless of where you go, make sure they have great Christmas markets, parks, and of course the river...especially for a winter visit. Also, try to find a city with an outdoor hockey team. Even if you hate hockey (as I do), watching a minor league outdoor hockey league game is definitely a unique experience & something you'll remember. I got lucky enough to stumble upon one with an hour or two to kill, and I'm glad I did. It was weird, rambuctious, and awesome.

If you're planning to be there during Christmas, keep in mind that nearly everything in every city across eastern Europe shuts down early afternoon of Christmas Eve and doesn't reopen until the 27th. And I mean everything. No food, no stores of any kind, no transportation (maybe a limited amt on Boxing Day...but mostly none). Budapest even shuts down 14 of their 17 hospitals & clinics during those 3 days.
fire09
AG
Budapest or Munich. Depends what you are looking to do, but both are really cool to experience this time of year.
Spore Ag
Guess it depends on how you want to travel or if the excessive cold bothers you or not. As mentioned I found Rome fantastic in January but now traveling along the Rhine and enjoying the smaller German towns. Renting a car or train travel help the accessibility.
TXCityAggie
AG
I went to Berlin, Poznan (Poland), Florence, and Rome in December a few years back. I've never been as cold as I was in Berlin, but the Christmas markets were amazing. Poznan was a last minute add on (about three hours by train from Berlin) and was a pleasant surprise....very beautiful city. The weather in Florence and Rome was cold but sunny during the day. I wouldn't think twice about returning to any of them in the winter.
FC12
Do you like snow, mountains and winter sports? If so, Switzerland.

I'll add more - depending on where in Switzerland, December can still be early for great snow. Zermatt will be fine but Eastern Resorts may still be waiting on big snow.
If this is of interest, let me know and I can expand more.
I live in Liechtenstein. (Which is cool too) and I can provide some good input on activities around.
Big Shoulders
December is an amazing (and I think the best) time to visit Venice.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Most German Christmas markets close on Christmas Eve. Keep that in mind.

I would also suggest Switzerland. If you ski, hit the Alps.
AggieMainland
Sorry I haven't been able to respond but thank you for the feed back. This has been very helpful. I'm more excited about checking out Germany than I was before. I'll for sure head in that direction before Christmas. I'd like to do Budapest in NYE. It was one of my favorite cities 9 years ago and I'd like to briefly revisit. Maybe check out a few other things in the area with lower expectations. We'll see. Still have some time.
acidic36
AG
The most beautiful country in EU is Switzerland, my favorite was Lauterbrunnen & Zermat. Also recommend Rome & Paris
schmendeler
AG
Switzerland not in the EU
acidic36
AG
I meant EU for shorthand of Europe. I've been off TexAgs for almost 10 years. I forget how precise you must be hwre with grammar bc everyone would much rather nitpick mistakes and typos
BwdAg
AG
We just got back from the following trip. It was colder than the last few Christmas market trip we have made.

Amsterdam - we enjoyed - stayed near the train station and walked
Train to Dsseldorf - large market downtown. Easy to get around. We did find one small neighborhood market as well.
Plane to Krakow - stayed in an apartment on the square. Did the market in the square and walked the city. Weather was bad. Left early.
Did a long train to Berlin and missed our DB connection in a small polish station (Rzepinek). Stranded but found a hotel (thankfully).
Berlin - probably did 4 markets. All were good. Best one had paid entrance.

Other December market trips. pre Covid.
Germany
Cologne
Wirzburg
Nuremberg
Munich
Czech
Pilsen- nice place. Great Patton museum.
Prague
Slovenia
Ljubljana - nice market. Frog leg and beer
Lake Bled
Croatia
Zagreb - cool market with huge skating rink

Pro tip - add rum to the hot wine.

Have fun.
Post removed:
by user
Tormentos
AG
Been in Copenhagen all weekend and have had a great time.
Slim Isle
Watch DW before you go
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.